MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Ride the Drive June 5

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Ride the Drive June 5

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:00 am

snoqueen wrote:I would like to know what businesses are "suffering" because of this event. I'd think the added traffic at food and drink places would be obvious

I'm skeptical whether RtD really passes the "if not for" test. I'd want to see some data on this.
and Ride the Drive could easily be promoted as part of a family weekend vacation that included other Madison fun like a zoo visit, the Childrens' Museum, and a hotel overnight.

Does the novelty of biking on city streets hold up for folks who don't drive those streets anyway? If I'm thinking about coming in from out of town for a bicycle holiday, is swerving across East Wash without a care going to motivate me the way that biking the Monona loop would?

Honestly, I think economic arguments are an ex post facto attempt to justify continuing and expanding the event.
Soglin ought to get out there and make an appearance. He may not be a spandex god, but Ride the Drive is totally for everybody (not just the few annoying show-off racers I saw today) and deserves its summertime schedule slot right up there with the canoe-portage event and Cows on the Concourse.

He did.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:06 am

Bad Gradger wrote: If I'm thinking about coming in from out of town for a bicycle holiday, is swerving across East Wash without a care going to motivate me the way that biking the Monona loop would?

I don't know. Seems to me that there are few people who live within forty miles of town who haven't driven down John Nolen or East Wash, but I don't know how they'd feel about riding it without cars.

Not to nitpick, but even on RTD, you can't swerve across East Wash without a care, unless you don't care if you hit somebody's kid. The times when I didn't have someone within collision distance were few and far between. Several times when I swerved or braked hard to avoid some kid (or adult rider behaving as if he/she was alone) who swerved, I almost got hit by somebody coming up behind me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:The people on this pedal-it-yourself haywagon thing seemed to be having a blast. Beer may have been involved.

If you mean the Capital Pedaler bar bike, I was on it for a while and it was a great time! Sadly, no beer served on board since it is licensed as a taxi.
But the libations at Old Sugar Distillery prior to getting out there didn't hurt a bit!
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Personally I would be more on board with the whole bikes on John Nolen thing if it meant I could drive my Vette down the bikepath. It's only fair.....
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking