Pimm's Cup
Hopalicious
Old Milwaukee

I like to hit both ends of the spectrum *giggle*
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your last 5 drinks of/with booze

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Petro wrote:I'm really enjoying this Kraken rum with ginger beer as a Dark 'n Stormy.

YES. I got a 1.75L bottle as a birthday present. Cradled it like it was my own child, and damn near wept similarly.

My last five:

Dark n Stormy (Kraken, Gosling's), at home.

Tequila and tonic, at the reception for my wife's coworker's wedding.

Old fashioned (Korbel, sweet), same as above. It was in Iowa. I had to teach the girl how to make one. Sigh.

#11 (gin, natch) , Underground Kitchen

#40, same as above.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue May 31, 2011 11:20 pm

I feel like I'm gonna repeat myself a bit if I regularly update this thread. I am a man of habits.

20yr Pappy Van Winkle - neat (at the Malthouse)
Balvenie Doublewood (same as above)
Cao Ila 12yr (Brocach)
Noah's Mill (brought a bottle to my dad's)
Multiple shots of Jameson backed by bottles of highlife at a dive biker bar in Viola
Oban 14 (same as above)
Kraken + Reed's ginger beer as a dark and stormy (at home)
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:56 pm

- Eagle Rare on the rocks
- Jack and Coke
- Potosi Pilsner?
- Rolling Rock
- Harp
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:16 pm

<from most recent to least recent>

Vodka Gimlet in a plastic cup - Tanners Bar & Grill in Kimberly, WI - things kept devolving and at one point, some people I had just met had a "who can drink more warm bud lime" chugging contest. It was horrific.

Salty Dog (at Coopers Tavern, Madison)

Some sort of high class shandy (it was a special) at Underground Kitchen - it was good! I'm predisposed to scoff at this drink but they made one that had surprisingly complex flavors.

Bullet Whiskey w/ bitters, a bit of sparkling water & lime juice - this was at home. Not sure what you call it, but if I keep drinking it like I do, maybe one way they'll name it after me.

Shot of Barenjager Honey Liquor at the Frequency in Madison - This is Schabow's fault.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Old fashioned (Korbel, sweet), same as above. It was in Iowa. I had to teach the girl how to make one. Sigh.

Northern IA or Southern? And did you tell her to do it up WI/MI-style, or instruct her in the gentlemanly art of the southern Old Fashioned?

I would love it if our WI old fashioneds were widely embraced, but c'mon - it's a regional drink, right? I have found bartenders in fairly wide ranging spots that could make a great WI-style Old Fashioned (in caps from here on out), but it's luck of the draw.

One bartender I met in New Orleans made a great one - turned out he lived in Milwaukee for 5 years in the '70's. One guy in San Francisco got all huffy when I asked him if he knew how to make one - when it showed up, it definitely had some sort of cola in it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Scapa 16yr neat - Louisianne's, a perfect after-dinner drink while listening to Johnny Chimes wrap up his set last Friday night.

Eagle Rare on the rocks - at home after a long day last week.

Maker's Mark on the rocks - at my folks' for a Memorial Day cookout.

Wild Turkey 101 chilled shot - with my cousin in IL following a graduation party. I haven't had Wild Turkey since a night out at Delilah's in Chicago six years ago, and I actually enjoyed this a lot more than expected.

Yahara Bay Gin & tonic - at home. This usually becomes my hot weather default summer drink. I just remembered I need to pick up a lime at the store tonight.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 pm

rrnate wrote:Northern IA or Southern? And did you tell her to do it up WI/MI-style, or instruct her in the gentlemanly art of the southern Old Fashioned?

Sorry, I should have specified: she didn't know how to make any kind of old fashioned--Wisconsin-style or otherwise.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Strongly brewed peppermint iced tea with vodka.
(Penzey's has good peppermint – buy four ounces at a time for a discount. This infusion is unsurpassed as a hot-weather beverage. Drink copiously throughout the day, but wait until the sun is low before adding vodka.)

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale.

Merlin Cherrier Sancerre.
(Have a friend buy you some. Pricey but pure glee on the palate.)

Atomium Ale (Belgian, hefty, yummy)

Some impertinent little Cahors whose name I've forgotten
(Cheap, red, and racy.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 am

- Bailey's and coffee (staying up late cleaning the basement)
- Jameson and coffee (staying up late cleaning the basement - different day than above)
- Lagavullin, neat, glass of ice water on the side
- Laphroig, neat, water/side
- Highland Park, neat, water/side

To be clear, I had several of each of the above. In particular, the whiskys are the last three bottles of scotch I've owned. So the above list is probably my last 50 drinks w/ booze - not five.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 am

Petro wrote:...Cao Ila 12yr...

This is a very nice whisky. But, then, I'm partial to the Islay whiskys, of which Caol Ila is an extremely approachable example. I like Oban too - the town of Oban is on the west coast so it shares features with the Islays. I would never turn away a glass of Balvinie, but the Speyside malts aren't usually my thing.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 pm

rrnate wrote: Bullet Whiskey w/ bitters, a bit of sparkling water & lime juice - this was at home. Not sure what you call it, but if I keep drinking it like I do, maybe one way <sic> they'll name it after me.

'The Cornish Sweater-vest?'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 pm

fun thread; I'll play

Hendrick's gin and diet 7up muddled with cucumber and lime; my go-to cocktail at home.
(incidentally, the Hendrick's will always be purchased at Star this summer. Love those guys and want to support them as they ride out the miserable Willy Street construction)

Absolut Ruby Red and press at Mickey's
(this often prompts a conversation re: the origins of the seemingly Midwestern cocktail term "press." I've heard that it means "to press on the tonic and soda button at the same time" OR "Presbyterian style." Anyone know which is right?)

The #11 at Underground: Death’s Door gin with fennel, ginger, and lemon. Heavenly.

Sunset over Soho at Restaurant Muramoto: Rum, soho lychee liqueur, grapefruit juice. This was a stretch for me (I usually just get sake there, and rarely drink rum) but I really enjoyed it, and after one taste of mine, my friend proceeded to order one after another as well.

Svedka Clementine and diet red bull ..at home, to cool me down/wake me up a little.

At brunch at Merchant on Sunday, I saw someone order the Ramos Gin Fizz. It looked like a drink I'd love to try.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Absolut Ruby Red and press at Mickey's
(this often prompts a conversation re: the origins of the seemingly Midwestern cocktail term "press." I've heard that it means "to press on the tonic and soda button at the same time" OR "Presbyterian style." Anyone know which is right?)

This discussion cropped up on TDPF once before. In researching for the piece I wrote on signature dishes, I came across a pretty convincing case made for the latter explanation.

I'm trying to find it (and don't have access to my notes right now), but basically, it refers to the ginger ale and soda that religious teetotallers would order to make it look like they were drinking whiskey and soda so as to not draw attention to themselves in a social setting.

Thus, ordering a whiskey soda Pres--which sounds identical to "press," thus rendering it doubly masked as religious in nature--would actually result in the savvy bartender making you a ginger ale and soda.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like that old TDPF discussion may have hit the same reference I did.

viewtopic.php?t=44823
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:42 pm

1. Cosmo with Ciroc
2. Titos & 7
3. Rail rum & Coke
4. Absolut Mandarin & 7
5. Ciroc & tonic with fresh basil, raspberries & lime (a home experiement that was pretty tasty, except for the straw into the raspberry vacuum)
kimm
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails