MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Storm's a'comin!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Storm's a'comin!

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Just in case anybody's done nothing but play on the internets and hasn't heard any of the BEEEEEP BEEEEEP! Storm warning! announcements about the wind and rain and tennis ball-size hail bearing down on us all, here's your warning.

I'm going to shut down the computer mix a drink and watch the show a safe distance from the window.

Okay actually under the carport because I'm stupid and I love storms but I am going to shut down the electronics for a while.

Y'all have fun.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Storm's a'comin!

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Well. For a while there it looked like it might get impressive.

Weather guy on channel 3 said a tree feel over on the west side.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 pm

It's impressiveness was a sliding scale. Where I was, it was impressive. In our worst snow storms I don't see the amount of people I saw tonight driving down the interstate with hazzards on. Even semi's who typically blow by in whiteout conditions were treading with caution. The wind was ridonculous.

The coolest part was the contrast in sky from north to south. Traveling west the sunset was glowing a deep orange/red on the horizon to the northwest while lightning was blowing up a navy blue sky to the south and southwest.

Ahhhhh memories of my first hurricane......
c02
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 am

rabble wrote:
Weather guy on channel 3 said a tree feel over...

He must be from the south.

I'm jealous of your carport.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

narcoleptish wrote:I'm jealous of your carport.

Sheltered on two sides, usually a great place to watch a rainstorm.

But even with that I grabbed the chair and went back in a couple times when the rain was falling sideways from the wrong side.

The sky was beautiful, I agree. And every now and then the tops of the tallest trees were tossing around they were made of rubber.

But we never got the worst of it. From what I understand, it mostly followed the beltline and then into McFarland.

Not that I'm really complaining. We still had plenty of things in the yard and neighborhood that wouldn't deal well with 90 mile winds.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 am

I sat it out in my basement -- since I saw what was left from the tornado in Stoughton eight or ten years ago I don't mess with 'em. Then my power went out. I had flashlights and a NOAA radio with a battery so I listened along and tracked the storm as it crossed various counties to the east and onto Lake Michigan. Then I took a walk in the dark and discovered the outage was just a couple blocks right around me. The lights stayed off until the wee hours, though. And my internet is still messed up.

I'm gonna buy a LED headlamp. I could have used one last night rummaging around in the dark.

I love watching storms and it's always a disappointment when I decide to go down in the basement. Before, I used to get in my car and chase the storm around. That was fun.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:09 am

snoqueen wrote:I love watching storms and it's always a disappointment when I decide to go down in the basement. Before, I used to get in my car and chase the storm around. That was fun.

You live dangerously.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe