MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby babelfish » Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Ducatista wrote:I, too, am disappointed with this season of Top Chef Masters. There's nobody as appealing as Jonathan Waxman—how could there be?—and Hugh the Monobrow bugs me. And still I watch it every damned week.

I agree, Top Chef Masters is kind of lame and I usually don't watch it. The reason it is on my "must watch" list this season is because I used to work for Hugh. I guess that makes it interesting and watchable for me.
babelfish

Postby Walter » Tue May 31, 2011 5:21 pm

1) Psych. Smarter and more wiseass that humans should be allowed to have.

2) Southland. I don't know about the gold badge Detective side entirely, since I drive a black and white, err, blue and white, but when they pull out their guns, their tactics make me cringe. The patrol cop side of the show is frighteningly accurate, especially the learning curve a new cop has to climb on the street.

3) Brown Derby, 9:30 Wednesday nights at the Crystal Corner Bar. OK, it's not on TV but it should be. They could be the house band on an updated Hee Haw, and I mean that in the absolute best way. To be honest, I hate to miss the Derby on Wednesdays. Everything else can be DVR'd. Salute!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Is anybody watching Treme?

I fucking love it.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:01 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:The Killing: Every critic seems to be backing away from this series, fast.

So fast that it just got renewed.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-killing/2011 ... illing.php
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm sure you know as well as I do that critics don't renew television series (see: Two and a Half Men, among many), but I grant that my initial comment in this post was unnecessarily combative.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'm sure you know as well as I do that critics don't renew television series (see: Two and a Half Men, among many), but I grant that my initial comment in this post was unnecessarily combative.

Don't worry, I didn't find it combative. I was just poking fun of you poking fun of me.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:32 am

I need to add The Walking Dead to my list. Excellent show, good character development, and you can never go wrong with gory zombie kills.

American Horror Story is quickly becoming must-watch for me, at least until I figure out what the hell is going on.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:07 am

That's interesting. When I watched the premier I found myself thinking this is a soap opera with zombie slashings every now and then. They eat a few of us, we chop up a few of them, we move on, we express our angst, we do it again.

I just couldn't get into it.

Falling Skies, pretty much the same show with aliens instead of zombies, I like. I wonder why.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 am

I don't mind Falling Skies; it's wicked cheesy, but watchable. I just find myself much more connected and interested in the characters from The Walking Dead.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am

O.J. wrote: I just find myself much more connected and interested in the characters from The Walking Dead.

Huh. Now that you mention it, that's my reason too. Can't connect with most of the Walken Dead characters. I like the old guy and the sheriff's okay, but that's about it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 pm

I have a real soft spot for apocalyptic movies and a real soft spot for zombie movies, so it comes as no surprise that I absolutely love "The Walking Dead." The problem is that I never really watch TV and paying $70/month for cable that I rarely use seems like a real waste. I debated watching the episodes on my Xbox but I think I'll just wait for the second season blu-ray release and watch it marathon-style. I think even if they moved this show to network TV I'd forget what day, time and channel it's on given that I watch exactly zero shows on a regular basis.

I'll check out "Falling Skies" on Hulu and see if that interests me. If you're like me and rarely turn on your TV other than to watch a movie, check out some of these services. They're way cheaper than cable, you can watch what you want when you want and they'll stream through your xbox, ps3 or blu-ray player.

And you won't feel like you're funding FoxNews.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Interesting, but how might this work with AT&T DSL? I can't even watch youtube videos without having them stutter. I have a reasonable download speed (1.5 mbps to 3.5 mbps, usually on the higher end) but the upload speed is never above 0.6 mbps. I get the sense the upload speed is pretty important for streaming but I'm not sure.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm

I have U-verse DSL too and I don't really have any problems. ESPN3 over my Xbox is bad... buffers too much and defaults to a grainy awfulness when it's running, but it looks ok on my PC (much smaller screen).

Movies such as Netflix streaming and such never give me any problems, though I canned my Netflix after I was simply unable to connect on a regular basis. When I connected ok the movies ran fine and there isn't much of a lead-in... it buffers for a bit and then the movie starts. The movies and shows never look as good, of course, but my Netflix streaming tended to be bad horror flicks from the 80's which weren't exactly pixel-hogs to begin with. I mean, really, do you need "Leprechaun" in 1080p? I never watched TV shows much with Netflix, save the "Twin Peaks" marathon I went on for a few weeks and it looked super good.

I'd connect your xbox or blu-ray to your DSL and give it a shot. There are plenty of freebies to let you kick the tires and see if it's something you want to pay for.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm

I don't have U-Verse; only a "dry-loop" DSL line. (I've never owned a television.) My display is a 2005 PowerBook, which looks remarkably bright and clear (Hooray for 4-year AppleCare programs).

But if the viewing quality is less than that of a DVD, I guess it's a non-starter, anyway. If I pay for a move, I want a movie.

NetFlix was a blessing, back before it tanked.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV