MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

FROZEN veggies: "Product of China"!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

FROZEN veggies: "Product of China"!

Postby Big_Sister » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I recently noticed that a line of frozen veggies sold at Woodmans, called "TJ Farms" (produced by TVBG LLC of Boise, http://www.treasurevalley.com) has some items labeled "Product of China."

I am not one to get all crunchy and PC about the current obsession with "local-ness" BUT frozen veggies from China seems even more ridiculous than fresh (SIC) apples from New Zealand.

I cannot figure out how the conventional, money economics can possibly work given the distances, and the pre-processing and/or frozen, packaged perishability issues. Also, all kinds of environmental issues make this notion quite the maddening nightmare. And, given the various food and non-food defective product issues with Chinese products in recent years (toxic, poisoned dairy products and drywall, for example) I am very hesitant to buy such stuff, hypothesizing that vast quantities of god-knows-what pesticides were used in the cultivation of the vegetables....

I am just amazed and curious enough that I wanted to mention the sighting and my thoughts/questions.

Does anyone know if this is common, is lots of FROZEN plant-based food coming from China? Is Woodmans actually selling MUCH of it? Does anyone know about the quality/safety issues?
Big_Sister

Re: FROZEN veggies: "Product of China"!

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:59 pm

I sure wouldn't eat 'em. We know NOTHING about the safety record, if there is any, of the production facility wherever they came from in China. We know nothing about the agricultural practices and standards, if any, to which their growers must adhere.

And how the hell can it be cheaper to transport food from the other side of the planet than to transport it from California or Mexico?

Incidentally, we can be thankful for country of origin labeling requirement, which is federal. Of course, that means as soon as they get a chance the Republicans will remove it for whatever obscure reason they can dream up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:08 am

There's your answer 'sis - it's Walker's fault!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 am

Birds Eye single-serving baby Brussels sprouts are labeled Product of Belgium. Seriously.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:46 am

Ducatista wrote:Birds Eye single-serving baby Brussels sprouts are labeled Product of Belgium. Seriously.

Naturrlijk!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 am

Ducatista wrote:Birds Eye single-serving baby Brussels sprouts are labeled Product of Belgium. Seriously.

And it's a good thing, too.

Those Luxumbourgian brussels sprouts are for shit.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Marvell wrote:

And it's a good thing, too.

Those Luxumbourgian brussels sprouts are for shit.

It's the difference between Brussels sprouts and plain old brussels sprouts. The capital B makes all the difference in the world.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Detritus wrote:Naturrlijk!

Or naturellement...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues