MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

HWY 18 Outdoor - worth the trip

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

HWY 18 Outdoor - worth the trip

Postby Sgrmac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:58 pm

What's old is new again in Jefferson. The Highway 18 Outdoor Theatre has the same 80-foot screen (bigger than Point Cinema Ultra-Screen). But it's owner says the venue now holds the distinction of being the only outdoor theater east of the Mississippi River with a digital projector.

We took in this weekend's showing of 'Super 8' and 'Thor' and the image quality is simply amazing.

For the past 12 years, the theater was operated under the direction of Lee Burgess. But Burgess decided it was time for an upgrade. So, after $80,000 in upgrades, the new digital drive-in made its debut on April 29, 2011.

"We're tryin' to keep the tradition of the drive-in alive, and it's a lot of work, and it's very expensive, but it's very rewarding. This is the only business I've ever been in where people actually thank me for being open," said Burgess.

Burgess says there's enough room for 600 vehicles at the Highway 18 Outdoor Theatre. It's been rare for him to fill up all the spots. But he suspects he just may do that this summer movie season.
Sgrmac

Re: HWY 18 Outdoor - worth the trip

Postby sadiekat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:01 pm

We used to love going there, until they changed their carry-in policies so drastically. Don't get me wrong- I understand that they rely on concessions as their major revenue source, but if I want peanut butter M&Ms, dammit, I'll sneak them in, just like I do the regular theater. Just reading the policies online has totally turned us off- we'll stick with Netflix and avoid the bugs.
sadiekat

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Yeah, I make it a policy to avoid places with policies like that too.

I understand the whole "We need to make our money back" thing, but they should understand how people feel about the "here's the damn rules and we care more about them than we do about YOU, maggot" thing.
We may ask to inspect a vehicle if we suspect a serious violation of theatre policies (e.g. people sneaking in without paying or contraband such as carry in food/drink,alcohol, or video equipment). Any patrons who refuse this request will be ejected from theatre grounds without a refund. If you have any questions about this policy, please email us.

Nope. Hope everybody has fun but I don't patronize places like that. Too bad. I had a good time when we went a few years ago. And I don't make a habit of smuggling in food. I just don't like the attitude.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:56 pm

No outside food, no booze, no recording. Seems fair enough to me.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Isn't that pretty much the policy of every indoor theater too?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Seems pretty reasonable to me - same as an indoor theater. Probably won't hassle you unless you are being obvious about it.

I know someone that used to work at a drive-in. They wrote down all the license plates of the cars that had only one person in them, figuring (correctly) that anyone stupid enough to sneak in to a drive-in would not be smart enough to pay for two tickets to avoid notice.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 pm

So all you guys went to drive ins that threw people out for bringing in food? And inspected cars to look for contraband food?

I must live a sheltered life. Or maybe I went to sheltered drive ins. The only time they threw cars out was for sneaking people in and getting disorderly. I got no problem with that. Getting my car searched because I might have a leftover sandwich in there is over my line.

If it's not over yours, like I said, have fun.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

I could be wrong, but I'll guess they aren't going around looking for doggy bags on backseats, so they can boot folks or run their paws through glove boxes.

The wording of the rules may be strong, but so is the sense of entitlement some people have when it comes to their cars and what they can do in them.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:44 am

The rules are written strongly to account for the shittiest among us. I don't see anything egregious, nor do I think they're going to be coming around looking for static like the cop in "99 Problems."

What is egregious is the report from friends that have gone recently, telling of a total lack of knowledge of how to make an old fashioned at the bar there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies