MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Stalzy's Deli

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Stalzy's Deli

Postby yesferatu » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Overpriced.
Under-quality.
Disappointing.

So I grabbed the worst Reuben of my life the other day.
When I saw Stalzy's open up on Atwood, I had really high hopes.
I was excited as I looked over their menu, but my hopes quickly sank when I noticed their $15 dollar sandwiches.

My $9.00 Reuben was thin, fatty and served on toast.
Nick's and Ella's both have comparably-priced Reubens, but you usually get sides and a lot more sandwich.

I really wanted a baseline sandwich, but even their ham & cheese looked skinny and ran around $7.

If it were a great sandwich, I probably wouldn't think twice, but
the Lake View Deli has better sandwiches at half the price.

I sincerely hope I just had a singularly bad experience.
I might go back for a second chance in a couple months.
They do have burgers and average-priced beer.
How bad could they be?

I was really hoping they'd blow me away, it was just gross.
yesferatu

Re: Stalzy's Deli

Postby Broadsheet » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Two other great reubens: Weary Traveler, and the Harmony (when they feature them, which is often). The Avenue's is pretty good, too.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby bassbari » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Three of my favorite Ruebens:(All carved from the roast)

First Choice: Pine Cone Restaurant Truck Stop on Hwy 51 best ever.
Second Choice: Avenue Bar se
Third Choice: Dairyland Family Restaurant on Cottage Grove and Stoughton Rd
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 am

The Orpheum had an exceptional Reuben-not sure if it is still on the menu now. I would also recommend Benji's Deli in the Shorewood neighborhood of Milwaukee...
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am

You guys are making me hungry.

Must ... find ... a ... reuben ...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madison Fish Fry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I had the Reuben at Stalzy's last week, and thought it was good, but certainly not great.

I'll agree with @Broadsheet, The Harmony Bar has one of the best Reubens around (but they only feature them on Wednesdays to the best of my knowledge). Tomorrow is Wednesday...
Madison Fish Fry

Postby kulgar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:51 pm

ONE sandwich is $15 from what I read on the menu, the signature triple. And there is a side with it. Go where you will.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I had a great Turkey Reuben there a few weeks ago. The owner was really nice and gave us a tub of pickled mushrooms gratis (which we didn't realize until we unpacked our paper bag at home). I'll be back. I hope the place sticks around.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Alan! » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:21 pm

I tried this place after having tried Katz's Deli in New York. We ordered the Pastrami on rye and Corned beef on rye. Although not in the same league as Katz's, Stalzy's was really good. the sandwiches were generously portioned with delicious meats and the service was really friendly. I'll definitely be back again.
Alan!

Postby Coplay » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Stop buying sandwiches that cost 10-15 bucks. These places are rip offs. I ate at Stalzy's once, it's ok but I thought I was just being lazy. Go to a deli or bakery. Buy yourself sandwich ingredients and do it yourself. It's always going to be better. Lunch time food at restaurants are a joke.
Coplay

Postby kulgar » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Nearly all the sandwiches are UNDER $10, only the triple deckers are over. Why not buy whole wheat, grind it and then bake the bread yourself?

Great sandwiches and sides, very good abbreviated wine list. I agree it's a good deli and that corner booth is nice to watch the street scene from.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm writing this as I'm having an awesome sammie made at home from cold cuts bought at Stalzy's over the weekend. I have to say their meat is great, and the quality of ingredients is most likely the reason for the (slightly) higher prices. I'll pay a little more for better quality meat, bread, and fixins!

Stalzy's Octoberfest celebration this weekend was very fun! Always good to hear some polka music on a beautiful Sat. afternoon!

If you are in Milwaukee, check out Jake's deli if you really like pastrami, corned beef, or reubens: http://www.jakes-deli.com/
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Ate there today. Should be renamed "Saltzys"....the corned beef and the brisket were WAY over-brined. The first flavor to hit my buds was SALT. I'd go back just to see if this was an aberration. I hope so. I get Carnegie Deli meats Fed-Ex'd in every few months and there really is no comparison.
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I’ve come to the conclusion that this place is bi-polar. I’ve ordered from them 4 times now, and each time the same order – a pastrami on rye. Twice I’ve received a really spectacular sandwich, meat with a slightly smoky tang, the right amount of fat to meat ratio, expertly sliced and with that wonderful sweet chewiness good pastrami has. That restaurant is one I’d go to on a weekly basis.

The other 2 times the meat was way, way too salty, and whoever did the slicing paid no attention as the sandwich ended up containing chunks of fat and gristle. My more recent visit was encountered the bad Stalzys – a truly awful pastrami sandwich that was very over salted. I mentioned this fact to the staff, and the “helpful” response was that a new prep cook had prepared the meal.

The owner – who is there all the time – is friendly and pleasant to deal with. What seems to be lacking is any understanding of the need to keep a consistent level of quality. Since corned beef & pastrami are the things that make a deli a deli, each and every batch should be checked, especially if the person in charge is newly trained.

I do like what this place is trying to do - and when they're good it's so good that I'm willing to give them another try - but I do wish they'd get their act together.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews