MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Window Screen Repair

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Window Screen Repair

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:44 am

Apologies if this has been discussed here before- I didn't see anything.

I'm looking for an east-side (Willy St, Atwood area) shop or hardware store that does window screen repair on-site. Repair involves a broken aluminum screen frame for a double-hung window. Very basic repair. Would prefer not to replace the whole screen frame- just need one side piece of the frame replaced.

Who's the best in the area? Ace? Other?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Window Screen Repair

Postby barney » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 am

Not sure what your definition of east side is (seems like everyone has their limits of where the other side begins), but Quality Hardware on Park and Olin does it on-site.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Martin Glass on Atwood. Good folks, good work.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:34 pm

I'll 2nd 3rd and 4th Martin Glass. I really don't think you can do better on the eastside. Ace on Willy sends their stuff to Martin Glass.

There's also that place on E Wash between Baldwin & Few in the big quoneset hut building (Bob Fisher?) but I've never been there.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks folks.
I knew of Martin, but wasn't sure they dealt with screens/screen frames, as well. Like I said, it's a really small fix that a friend in that neighborhood needs.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:47 pm

You have the time and energy to perform stunt scenes in front of cameras, play around on social media sites, and pretend that coffee shop politics is important (it's not) but you can't figure out how to repair a screen? Or is it laziness?

Folks. This is why the professional left can't hold onto power, it's clueless.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 pm

HamsterArmageddon wrote:You have the time and energy to perform stunt scenes in front of cameras, play around on social media sites, and pretend that coffee shop politics is important (it's not) but you can't figure out how to repair a screen? Or is it laziness?

Folks. This is why the professional left can't hold onto power, it's clueless.

Excuse me? Stunt scenes? Social media sites? WTF are you talking about?

Not that you deserve an explanation but I can, in fact, repair a screen. This is not for me. A friend asked for a local recommendation- this forum is a good place to get a reliable answer.

And, oh yeah, kiss my ass.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Ace.

I've used the Ace on Raymond for screen replacement and the work was great and inexpensive.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks Zeus, but I've already passed along the Martin Glass recommendation. Several nods in favor here and only a few blocks from my friend's place. If that doesn't work out, I'll be sure to recommend Ace.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

The place on E. Wash is Bob Cooper Glass. They're fine to work with too. Go to whoever's closest.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks- they will be second on the list (due to proximity).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:33 pm

HamsterArmageddon wrote: you can't figure out how to repair a screen?

For starters he said the frame was broken, not the screen itself, and second, fixing a screen is actually a pain in the ass in many cases. Often it's held in with that round rubbery tubing that you think you can just push in with a screwdriver. Often that becomes a much longer and more tedious job than first imagined, and sure enough, just as you're rounding that final corner on the fourth side you get a little impatient and push a little too hard and OH! you just stuck the screwdriver through the screen. So you get another screen and this time you buy the little tool with the wheel that the pros use. The pros who have installed about 800 fucking miles of the stuff and have a pretty good feel for it. Then you find out that those are a pain in the ass too, and if you push too hard that wheel will cut the screen too.

No my friend, some things are not worth doing yourself. I fix things for a living, and I take my customer's windows and screens to Martin.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Round rubbery tubing is spline. You can also get a cheap plastic roller tool to push it in. Having said that I've never managed- too tight & the frame bends, too loose & it falls out
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

The thing with the spline is it has to be the right size. I had my first fight with replacing a screen (patio door no less) a short while ago and there were some issues I didn't think about. The first being the screen I purchased was much thicker than the screen I was replacing. Using the spline size that originally fit was an adventure in colorful language, more yet louder colorful language and a little barbarism. Short of a hammer and chisel, that spline wasn't going in. When I finally said, "!@#% it, I'm missing something" and stepped back for a few minutes I realized I should downsize the spline. One more trip to Home Depot and it went in smoothly and quickly. Oh, and the cheap little roller wheel I bought worked like a champ.
c02
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe