MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Euthanizing and editing

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Euthanizing and editing

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:14 pm

gargantua wrote:The fact is, in sufficient numbers, and in the wrong locations, they are pests. The fact that they are cuter than things like mice, rats, or emerald ash borers does not mean that they are not pests.

The fact is you are factless.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Then there are pigeons. In some part of Alaska, eagles are equated with them. Our nature guide at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary near Ketchikan actually called eagles "our pigeons."

Pests are like weeds, in they get their definition from those who are bothered by them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: pied-à-terre

I had never heard that phrase before. I like it.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:25 am

Ned Flanders wrote:pied-à-terre

Euro-Weenie. Care to explain why you're back in a city you've taken great pains to show that you despise?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:52 am

To the topic: I've got no problem with this, as long as the geese don't suffer and the meat isn't wasted. We have hunting seasons for turkey, pheasant, various waterfowl like duck, and in fact there is a Canada goose hunting season.

The only reason this is causing any kind of stir is because it's within the city limits, being organized by the city, and outside of the regular season.

That said... the federal permit is for "live capture and euthanization". Have they considered just releasing the captured geese in, say, Ned's Minneapolis backyard?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:pied-à-terre

Euro-Weenie. Care to explain why you're back in a city you've taken great pains to show that you despise?

Ned's got a new puppeteer. Give the guy a little time to get familiar with the background.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:42 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:
gargantua wrote:The fact is, in sufficient numbers, and in the wrong locations, they are pests. The fact that they are cuter than things like mice, rats, or emerald ash borers does not mean that they are not pests.

The fact is you are factless.

No, I'm not. You however just made a stupid and unprovable statement. And that is a fact. Here's an example: as I type this, it is Saturday. That is what is referred to as a fact. Therefore, I am not factless, am I? And I'm not wrong about geese being pests. If I were, you would think that the city would not have sought and received federal approval to euthanize scores of them, wouldn't you? Do you think that the city did that for fun? Maybe you should look up the word "pest".

If you want to argue that the city should not euthanize the geese, you are certainly within your rights. But if you want to argue that they are not a problem (i.e. being pests), I would say that you are the fact-challenged one.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 pm

What is a fact is this: as soon as you off the present geese, their buddies will move right in. An open ecological niche, a prolific and mobile species... what do you expect?

I think they ought to test the meat for pathogens, heavy metals, pesticides, and the like and then give it to food pantries and free-meal sites. If safe, it could provide a whole season of delicious meals. We could even institute an urban goose-harvesting program, if someone sensible could devise a safe way to hunt them. Geese are a natural Madison food source, one that doesn't have CWD. Who said wild foraging has to be limited to plants, hey?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Eating and excreeting

Postby Marvell » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 pm

The difference between geese and raccoons is no one wants to eat a raccoon.

Mike Huckabee excepted.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:What is a fact is this: as soon as you off the present geese, their buddies will move right in. An open ecological niche, a prolific and mobile species... what do you expect?

That's pretty much the whole thing right there. The reason they're classified as pests is because they thrive in the habitat we've created for them, and there are enough of them elsewhere to more than fill the void we'll create by killing the ones we've got.

I remember a few articles last year where the parks people wanted to try altering the habitat to make it less hospitable; more cover along the shoreline so they wouldn't be able to spot predators, etc.

Didn't hear much after those so I'm assuming that notion didn't fly very well.

And I'm thinking that since we have a standing warning not to eat the fish regularly, there would be a similar warning about the birds who forage in the mud where the fish are.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:What is a fact is this: as soon as you off the present geese, their buddies will move right in. An open ecological niche, a prolific and mobile species... what do you expect?

Could it be that we have solved the problem of world hunger? It's like the story of the loaves and the fishes, only with geese!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kalypso » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:57 pm

For over a decade, I've watched countless geese raise their offspring on the marshy land near the UW Vet School and UW Hospital. This year, the university put a couple of swan decoys out and the geese immediately disappeared.

One of the best parts of the spring was watching the young geese grow bigger by the day. And I really hated to see them go away this year. I love urban wildlife; unexpected encounters with raccoons, rabbits and birds make city living less mundane.

The culling is unfortunate. I thought that this issue was settled after a public hearing last year. I'm pretty sure the lakes would be able to handle the water bird poop pretty well on their own if they weren't so already polluted from garbage, cow manure, etc.

And as to the fact that geese get angry and nip--so what? They're not going to kill you. And if they bite your kids, then your kids got a great lesson on why it's important to a) respect wild animals and leave them alone and b) listen when mommy or daddy warn baby to stay away from something.
kalypso

Postby Exploding Pinto » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:47 am

Geese Management Report for Madison
Prepared by gargantua

Facts Section

Them geese is cuter then a mouse.
Them geese is pests.

Geese Management Recommendation

Kill 'em dead.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:Geese Management Report for Madison
Prepared by gargantua

Facts Section

Them geese is cuter then a mouse.
Them geese is pests.

Geese Management Recommendation

Kill 'em dead.

Nice. Don't think there is another way to kill 'em besides dead. Just think what a pest problem undead zombie geese would be.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 am

The geese in the park just west of the convention center on John Nolen drive have it good. Their babies (or teenagers) are grazing in the grass, fuzzy and cute, guarded by large ferocious parents who stand between the babies and the bike path. They've figured out the passing bikers won't stop, so they stand within a couple feet of the bike path and ignore the bikes. If you approach them on foot, though, they come charging at you like a supreme court judge, hissing and holding their wings out to the side like robes. They mean business.

I can see why people think they're pests, and I can see why people think they're cute, and I can see why people want to have them for dinner. What I cannot see is why my dog thinks their poop is such a treat.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to find a decent way to harvest them for their meat if it's safe to eat. People are hungry, geese seem able to reproduce way beyond mere replacement numbers, and it's wrong to just waste resources.

This from a mostly-vegetarian and animal sympathizer, yet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com