MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
kayaks
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Hilldale foreclosure sale

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Hilldale foreclosure sale

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am

gargantua wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
Troy Thiel wrote:and I could easily see a Hotel addition working soon at the site to help the numbers.

A developer wants to build a hotel just north of there, at Whitney Way.

Is that the old Irish Waters site?

I'd rather have Irish Waters back.

Yes, it also extends through the old Erdman warehouse space as well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 am

gargantua wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
Troy Thiel wrote:and I could easily see a Hotel addition working soon at the site to help the numbers.

A developer wants to build a hotel just north of there, at Whitney Way.

Is that the old Irish Waters site?

I'd rather have Irish Waters back.

Yep.....

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Continuing the topic drift...

A few months back the State Journal had a short article saying that Hotel Red, across from Camp Randall, would finally be completed. Yet I've notice nothing when I drive pass it. Football season is only a couple months away.

There is a sheriff's sale awaiting to happen.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Or Madison's newest homeless shelter, just waiting to happen.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

I think some of the upscale businesses, that have come and gone, were a mistake. I mean how much olive oil only can you sell? Or that specialty kitchen decor place? I think Target is a step in the right direction. I'm thrilled I don't have to drive to the edge of town for household needs. Even Macy's has some great deals on classic styles. I miss some of the old Hilldale, but maybe we can get some of it back.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:04 am

Don't even get me started about Hilldale. It sure seemed like Joseph Freed and Associates were on a campaign to replace local businesses in Hilldale with chain store equivalents, whenever they could. I miss Wolff-Kubly (which they drove out of the mall, only to build another Ace Hardware outside of the mall???) and Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream (which was replaced with a Ben and Jerry's that lasted for like 15 minutes).

As for the corner of Whitney Way and University Ave, I guess I'm not surprised somebody is finally going to do something there. Yes, I too wish they had brought back Irish Waters. But only for selfish nostalgic reasons.

That area always takes me back to memories of my first visits to Irish Waters and my first Qualitemps job at the old Joyce Beverages 7-Up bottling plant that occupied the buildings later used by Marshall Erdman.

It was the summer of 1980. Irish Waters was really new then (it couldn't have been open for more than a year) and I had not yet visited that establishment until that summer. The concept of an Irish Pub style bar in Madison was really new. The same people who had recently opened Still Waters on State Street, had opened Irish Waters. They had this "Waters" name theme going on. The same people opened a third bar called Sweet Waters (and located... I want to say Park and Regent between the many rises and falls of Bunky's... but I forget) was also part of the theme. Within a year or two we began to refer to such places as "Fern Bars", but I digress...

My Qualitemps assignment at Joyce Beverages was to work alongside the regular employees on the bottling line, and do the hardest tasks that they did not want to do themselves. I don't know if that was a written job description, but it soon became evident that was how it would be.

They still had glass returnable bottles then, and when the hardest job was to "throw" the wooden cases of said bottles on the line (and pull out the non-7-Up bottles that would inevitably be stuck in the cases) that was what I did. Miss a couple of non-7-Up bottles, and soon the guy running the machine that picked up the 7-Up bottles out of the case would be throwing the undesirable non-7-Up bottles at you, yelling "How is this supposed to get through my machine?!?!"(SMASH!) "How is this supposed to get through my machine?!?!" (SMASH!). The new-fangled large plastic bottles were lighter (and you didn't have to pick out any rogue bottles) so when we ran a load of those, they would have to find some other impossible task for me to fail at.

When the long awaited dinner break came, we would walk over to the Open Pantry on Whitney Way (next door to Irish Waters) and buy some questionable pre-made sandwich there. No need to buy a drink, as there were plenty of "short-fills" in the fridge in the break room back at the plant (that is until you got sick of drinking Squirt, Dr Pepper, and 7-Up). I remember walking past that little roadside motel (The Merrill Springs) and wondering what kind of business it was conducting, considering that most tourist traffic had long ago stopped traveling down University Ave.

After completing the remainder of my shift (abuses and indignities, as assigned) I would walk over to Irish Waters to tip a few pints of Guinness. At least I think they had Guinness... Now that I think about it... I do remember later (in like 1982) Clancy's at the corner of King St. on the square actually had Guinness on tap and that was the first time I saw a Guinness tapper with a handle on the side. Anyway, I had a few pints of something at Irish Waters. My young self thinking the place was so cool.

Eventually, I would have many jobs through Qualitemps and other temp agencies, but that was my first. So I didn't know that I didn't have to take the assignment. Every night at the end of the shift, the foreman (who I only saw at the end of the shift, by the way) would always ask me if I wanted to come back the next day. For two weeks, I always said yes. Finally after a really bad night of bottles thrown at me, I decided I didn't care if I remained unemployed for the rest of my life. I wasn't coming back. I never saw Joyce Beverages again, but the memories of insane forklift drivers whizzing around with pallets stacked high with swaying cases of glass bottles, still remains. I continued to visit the Irish Waters for the remainder of the year, until the novelty wore off.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 am

Henry Vilas wrote:A few months back the State Journal had a short article saying that Hotel Red, across from Camp Randall, would finally be completed. Yet I've notice nothing when I drive pass it. Football season is only a couple months away.

I've seen ads in Isthmus saying it's open. Haven't' driven by or stopped in to check.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:36 am

frozenCow wrote:..."How is this supposed to get through my machine?!?!"(SMASH!) "How is this supposed to get through my machine?!?!" (SMASH!). The new-fangled large plastic bottles were lighter (and you didn't have to pick out any rogue bottles) so when we ran a load of those, they would have to find some other impossible task for me to fail at....

Worthy of its own topic: "My first job."

I'll play if anybody else wants to.

I think some of the upscale businesses, that have come and gone, were a mistake. I mean how much olive oil only can you sell? Or that specialty kitchen decor place?

Here's another one worthy of its own topic: "Incredibly unrealistic business models." Not that I'm wishing anybody failure in their honest business dreams, but some ideas just don't align with common sense.

I'll nominate upscale kitchen accessories stores on Willy Street right near St Vincent's. We're on the second or third try with that idea, sadly.

And much as I like art, I can't figure out how picture frame stores survive. How many pictures does anybody frame in one lifetime?

I think Freed put chain stores in his mall because they have more capital (from central headquarters) and can pay higher rents at first. But over time that comes back to bite, they don't turn a profit, and away they go. Doomed business model #2, right after Olive Oil Stores. What are these guys' bankers thinking when they come in for a business loan?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Beaver wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:A few months back the State Journal had a short article saying that Hotel Red, across from Camp Randall, would finally be completed. Yet I've notice nothing when I drive pass it. Football season is only a couple months away.

I've seen ads in Isthmus saying it's open. Haven't' driven by or stopped in to check.

I didn't see their ad in the lastest issue, but their website mentions they will open this summer. We'll see.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:07 am

gargantua wrote:If my state experience is any indication, non-unionized state workers will not be spared the reduction in take home pay. Which really makes me wonder why anybody thinks economic conditions will be improving in the near future. Based on what, exactly?

It will be Obama's fault, just you wait and see.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 am

I'm know this is way off-topic, (because it has nothing to do with Irish Waters or Erdman or unionized workers), but the Sheriff's sale was cancelled:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/ar ... 002e0.html
But at least so far, no one is providing an explanation.

Maybe the Sheriffs were all busy sorting out the Supreme Court mess.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 am

I see the Hilldale website still has the five creepy MadMind-inspired cartoons on its front page.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Two public auctions have been scheduled and then canceled as no buyers have come forward to bid on the center, according to a source close to the situation. A third auction is scheduled for Tuesday but could also be postponed.

http://host.madison.com/ct/business/biz ... 03286.html

Mike Ivey did a little more digging and found out they pretty much can't give it away. Nobody showed up to bid. Somehow, it's hard to imagine not seeing this coming.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Could or would UW take it back?

I wonder if this means Bank of America owns it?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Could or would UW take it back?

From the above link:
Meanwhile, Freed is embroiled in a legal fight in Dane County Circuit Court with the UW Foundation, which developed Hilldale in 1962 and is still owed $6.4 million from the 2004 sale to Freed. That case is separate from the Bank of America foreclosure, however, and there is no chance the UW Foundation would take back any ownership stake in Hilldale, sources say.

Bwis53 wrote:I wonder if this means Bank of America owns it?

From the same cited article:
...it's likely that Bank of America would take ownership of Hilldale and then hire an outside manager to run it while the bank continues to seek a buyer.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe