MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

2011 MAMA's

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: 2011 MAMA's

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:30 am

good thing you got that laugh out of the way when you did, huh?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:18 am

jman111 wrote:good thing you got that laugh out of the way when you did, huh?

honestly i wrote that before I read anything in this thread.
Then I laughed for real when I saw some guy talking about how marketing is a good measure on how "good" yr band is.

From now on I'm only listening to musicians whose records go gold.

glad we cleared that one up!
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hellogoodbye » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:42 am

but Gaines and Vriesacker, while they may be solid players, are not in the same league

I can't vouch Vriesacker but for Mary that is just not true at all. Mary is an incredible singer to start with and her instrumental prowess is top notch. I'm not sure what you heard her do that didn't sit well with you but please give her many more listens.
hellogoodbye

Postby Vinnie P » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Some Guy wrote:
ColumbiaCounty wrote:It would be wonderful (I think) to see people like Paul Black, Andy Ewen, Cliff Fredrickson, Chris Wagoner, Mary Gaines, Jon Vriesacker etc be honored for instrumental awards.

Wait a minute. Fredricksen and Wagoner are indeed world class players, but Gaines and Vriesacker, while they may be solid players, are not in the same league - not even close. Ewen is lame, and Black can't play for shit. There! I said it.

LOL! That kind of honesty will make you some enemies in this town!

I don't know the others, but Cliff is indeed a monster.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Oh I get it (from their record label's site):
"One of the most promising Electronica acts to come out of the US are the duo called Null Device."

Yet the picture is of a four piece. Whooops.

Our record label isn't so good on the whole "keeping things updated" kind of thing. They probably wrote that press back in 03 and never bothered to change it. They also occasionally spell things wrong. Indie labels, whatchagunnado. They still pay to put out our records so I can't complain too much.

And we're not very promising, either.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Yeah gotta go with who keeps ya eating man! I wasn't slaggin on that.

I think even you should be able to see the humor in the label's pimp. haha. Which is alright. I just had to point it out.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Nah, it's hilarious. But in an annoying way because that sort of thing has been bothering me about the label for YEARS. :)
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:49 pm

jman111 wrote:Sadly, I missed it. I'd love to hear what folks thought about the Hendrix medley by Masino, Williams and Pingatore. How was it?

Great idea having 3 different guitar players compete but I kind of wish they had also announced the other musicians backing them up because they played good to.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:00 pm

eriedasch wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Here we are several days after the event and NOBODY has anything to say about it?

What more can you say about the same bands winning the same awards year after year after year?

I know Rick and respect the hell out of the MAMAs, what they do for the kids, and have really enjoyed the awards ceremony in past years I attended.

But can anyone tell me how many awards Natty Nation, Lucas Cates, and Harmonious Wail really need?

I'll admit I may be a bit jealous for never winning one myself, but after 10, 15, or 20 of these things, do the multiple winners year after year ever think, "We've made our point, let's not enter this year and give some other groups a chance". I guess not.

Good point ! I guess it will be hard for me not to enter the MAMAs because I'm greedy for success. But I do think you are right that the same people seem to be winning all the time. But it's more complicated then then them stepping down. I think the fans should give a good listen to all the groups not just their friends.
Maybe that is not that easy neither. How many check out the songs at Broad Jam ? or did most just vote based on who they knew.I think also some of the losers could study how the winners won and try a little harder to get their fans to really vote for them.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 pm

supaunknown wrote:Disclaimer:
Below is just my $.02. I'm a virtual nobody and know very little about anything. I respect Rick Tvedt and want to like the MAMAs again. The following is based on a recent bar conversation between friends.

When the MAMAs first started out there was a good will vibe about them, even among some of the most jaded locals. Here, unlike the WAMIs, was a chance to do it right - create a fair submission & voting process, put on a fun show, and raise money, instruments, and awareness for a great cause.
Through the years the organizers improved the material submission process, but the nomination & voting process remained deeply flawed, almost stubbornly so. The top-heavy award winning numbers don't lie - attempts at fixing the voting process still favored the full-time marketeering professionals, with the music itself barely a consideration.
The MAMAs seem to have completely alienated the vast majority of local bands and greatly diminished the credibility of the awards themselves. It needs a major overhaul, if it's not too late already.

Part of the problem of saying it needs to be overhauled is the question of are you going to do it ? I'm not sure I'm willing to do the work Rick is doing for the MAMAs. I actually kind of thought the MAMAs had too much music from the youth projects that the MAMAs supports and not enough local bands playing. I also felt it was unfair for the MAMAs to last minute charge money for the people that were winning an award which in the past they always got in free. But who am I to say anything because I don't want to do the work of making better. Poor Rick has to put up with all the complaints. I think the MAMAs could use some improving and from the sounds of Rick talking every year how he is trying to make it better I'm sure we will see improvements. I'm not sure we will all like them but I'm sure Rick if he continues and doesn't have a heart attach will be talking about the new improvements next fall. But having won 5 MAMAs in the past and having won this year in the same category as I did last year I'm not sure if I will be entering the MAMAs again or not.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:43 am

artpaul wrote:
eriedasch wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Here we are several days after the event and NOBODY has anything to say about it?

What more can you say about the same bands winning the same awards year after year after year?

I know Rick and respect the hell out of the MAMAs, what they do for the kids, and have really enjoyed the awards ceremony in past years I attended.

But can anyone tell me how many awards Natty Nation, Lucas Cates, and Harmonious Wail really need?

I'll admit I may be a bit jealous for never winning one myself, but after 10, 15, or 20 of these things, do the multiple winners year after year ever think, "We've made our point, let's not enter this year and give some other groups a chance". I guess not.

I guess it will be hard for me not to enter the MAMAs because I'm greedy for success.

And this is obviously the quickest/easiest/best way to do that...?

I will say Rick makes this event a true success through his hard work, but I'm not sure if this is the best way for an artist to become "successful"...Most just become local heroes, which IS one form of success (i'm not belittling that), but that seems to be the type yr looking to transcend.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby velveteen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Another thing to remember is that the artists who are eligible for Song, Album or Record of the Year categories are ones who recorded it in the past calendar year. So, no matter how much you like an artist, if they don't have a new recording they won't be eligible in those categories, and if they're on hiatus and haven't played out in the past year, they're not going to be eligible at all.

I agree with much else that has been written. Clearly, there needs to be a vetting process so that bands don't get the same recordings into multiple categories they don't fit in. I don't think a blues album with one jazzy song should be eligible to win in both categories, and I don't think a rock band that has made one song with world music on it should be able to compete with world music bands in that category. It IS very difficult to listen to all the entries and vote in the first round, it takes up way too much time. I think it would be OK to have that round, but supplement it with nominations of ALL local artists that have released music in the past year so everyone has a chance. Otherwise, again only the ones who are willing to pimp themselves or have fans who'll do it for them will be nominees. Regardless of the fact that they may be perceived as 'working harder' for it, how does that benefit the event and bring recognition to the artists people have enjoyed the most over the past year?
velveteen

Previous

Return to Madison Music