MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Welcome Back Dog Eat Dog!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Welcome Back Dog Eat Dog!

Postby c02 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:13 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Is bravado ever savvy?

Answer: No

green union terrace chair wrote:Is bravado ever savvy?

Answer: Yes
c02
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Too bad your business acumen isn't as savvy as your bravado. This must be the worst place on the planet to open a hot dog shop. Unless you are getting some ridiculous break on rent, equipment, or food, I can't imagine your location is central enough to anything to garner sufficient business. It's not like people will drive out of their way for a good hot dog and I don't think you can sufficiently rely on customers shopping in car-dealer alley or the drones from American Family Insurance to patronize your place on a consistent enough basis to stay above water. Good luck, I enjoyed your wares when the shop was located downtown, but I think you're in for a tough ride.

I have to agree with Fat. Sure, you'll get business from Pooley's patrons, and as for the east side business park; business parks usually do a lot of ordering in, and I've never thought of Hot Dog Shops as real delivery-heavy ventures.
If they're at Easttowne they'll simply resort to Orange Julius. If you're lucky you'll get some crossover from Eastgate, while it's still there that is, since Marcus has plans to tear it town and rebuild in Sun Prairie.
I give it a year, tops.

Oh and before I forget: I bought out Pooley's and am converting it into a two-story Gentlemen's Club 8)
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:59 am

Will DED be open for lunch? I went by the other day and it looked like Pooley's doesn't open for lunch except for Fridays.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:27 am

Dog Eat Dog, located inside of Pooley's Sports Bar on High Crossing Blvd. is currently open from 3pm until 10 pm Monday through Thursday, and 11 am until midnight Friday and Saturday. Pooley's has successfully hosted customers for 18 years, and summers have always been a slower time. This summer is a wonderful time for Dog Eat Dog to introduce itself and its unique food to Madison, and the response in the last month has been better than ever hoped. By September-ish we will again be open for lunch, seven days a week, with open hours from 11 am until 11 pm or later.

My name is Joe Anderson. I'm fiercely proud of every menu item I offer. I happily stand behind each and every order from my kitchen, and will always offer a full 100% refund to anyone, anytime who doesn't care for the food they purchased.

My Friday fish fry will soon show what careful care for each and every customer will do; already in four weeks my fish fry has grown in ways I never could have hoped for. I guarantee, again at 100%, that my kitchen will make you happy.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 am

There. See that, all you cute "I'm just a humble customer who loves the food" spammers? THAT'S the way to plug a restaurant.

Always glad to see the businesses identify themselves when they respond to questions.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 am

ooh, thanks for the reminder. I'll be by this week for a test drive...

You haters are nothing but irritating.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sgrmac » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 pm

The 'hot dog' cart at Home Depot still serves a wicked good Chicago Dog...poppy bun, whole sports peppers, celery salt, etc...
Sgrmac

Postby workboy7 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Home Depot, when the departed Tim Shirley still ran it, was consistently excellent. Recently, I've noticed some gaps in the overall good dogs there with the new owners, but it might be too inside baseball for the average soccer mom to notice.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm

I have the same experience. The Depot Dogs is in a prime location for me. When I'm out there it's usually because I'm in the middle of a project, I've forgotten to eat, and don't want to spend the time to stop. While Tim was there it was always good. Now it's mostly good with a few not very good at all.

I wish I was out by Pooley's more often. I'll make it a point to check it out if I can.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 pm

rabble wrote:The Depot Dogs is in a prime location for me. ... I wish I was out by Pooley's more often. I'll make it a point to check it out if I can.

Not to sound like I'm advertising for DED, but Pooley's is just a short drive down High Crossing Blvd from Home Depot. The above statements don't entirely jibe.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for the update on the hours. I'll bring a group from work one of these Fridays. I work on Eastpark Blvd. and after 4 years I'm looking for something new and exciting in the area. Can't wait. Have missed you since you left downtown.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
rabble wrote:The Depot Dogs is in a prime location for me. ... I wish I was out by Pooley's more often. I'll make it a point to check it out if I can.

Not to sound like I'm advertising for DED, but Pooley's is just a short drive down High Crossing Blvd from Home Depot. The above statements don't entirely jibe.

Yeah but like I said, usually when I'm in that area I'm running behind on a project. I don't even want to spend the time it takes to pull up to somebody's drive up window. Which is why I'll settle for a dry dog in a stale bun sometimes.

If I find myself out there at the right time with some spare time, I'll try it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jrshaul » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm aware that Madison restaurants are frequently sub-par, but how incompetent does one have to be in order to botch a frankfurter?
jrshaul

Postby AndyMatts » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:21 am

Joe/workboy -

Are you handling all of the menu items now at Pooley's? I'm a regular volleyball player there, generally once a week. The wings were, without a doubt, the worst I've ever had. I don't know wtf that sauce was supposed to be.

If there's someone else coming up with the sauces, I may give them another try sometime.

I think Pooley's is a good match. Seems to me that the patrons there generally weren't there for the food in the past, so having someone do it right could tap a potentially big client base.
AndyMatts

Postby workboy7 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Dog Eat Dog is responsible for all food at Pooley's, catering too. Andy, I suspect your "worst wings" were served to you longer than 49 days ago, when the previous owner was in charge. In any case, please come to the kitchen next time you visit Pooley's, wings are on me. I'm very proud of how I serve classic Buffalo-style wings, and the response so far has been truly amazing.

Dog Eat Dog stands behind every item we sell. If you are unhappy with your experience, please tell me, Joe Anderson.
workboy7
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues