MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Annex: Done

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 am

My distaste for the Annex started many moons ago. They always treated us like shit. We drank, we ate, and we fucking tipped well. But we were jerked around every, and I mean EVERY time we played there. Our load in times and "sound checks" were hours earlier than every other venue, and we would still get blamed for a muddy mix because our stage volume was "way too loud." A 9 o'clock start-time meant the opener might go on sometime between 10:30 and 11:00. Good fucking riddence.

The tap beer tasted like soap 9 times out of 10, and aside from when Darwin was working there, we were largely ignored by the staff. Bruce can fuck the hell off. His joint ranked right up there with the Klinic when I used to get into screaming matches in the back parking lot to get paid a measly $35 to split between 4 bands. Now with the Annex being done he can get back to his favorite hobbies --driving around a shitty camero and snorting coke off his own dick.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote: Bruce can fuck the hell off. His joint ranked right up there with the Klinic when I used to get into screaming matches in the back parking lot to get paid a measly $35 to split between 4 bands. Now with the Annex being done he can get back to his favorite hobbies --driving around a shitty camero and snorting coke off his own dick.

-Dan Motor

Funny stuff right there. I lol'd.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:24 pm

A prior owner of the liquor license at that address also had business problems because of weasel dust.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 am

My favorite Annex shows were the Thermals with Sleeping in the Aviary last year and Nada Surf with Rogue Wave a few years back. I also saw Ha Ha Tonka for the first time at a sparsely attended Annex show several years ago. They were opening for Backyard Tire Fire and have since become one of my favorites.

The tap beer did taste like shit the last few times too.

defactobrigade wrote:Heaven forbid you get bumped by Marco Pogo.

Sometimes I think that motherfucker waits for me to get a full beer before crashing into me.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Eh, poor Annex. They've had a few good folks working there through the years, but by and large the place has been a shithole.

Played a few really fun shows there. Also played a few that were less than spectacular. Good sound always.

Memorable good:
The Invincible Czars
Pink Floyd tribute night (notably El Donk)
Captured! By Robots
The New Recruits
Mr. Pants
i'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch

Memorable bad:
Something Corporate
sneaky former manager (neither Darwin nor Rich)

Thanks Annex.
-supa, 12 (+30)
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:45 pm

wallrock wrote:

Sometimes I think that motherfucker waits for me to get a full beer before crashing into me.

Ha. Knowing marco, I can safely say he feels remorse when bumping into people. That's not his intention at all.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 am

defactobrigade wrote:
wallrock wrote:

Ha. Knowing marco, I can safely say he feels remorse when bumping into people. That's not his intention at all.

Pogo Beer Remorse. Band name.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:28 pm

The Annex was for me one of those palces where, despite my having lived not far from it for like 20 years, I always kind of forgot was there. I've seen some good shows there, no doubt. But I also missed a lot of good shows there too becasue I had no idea anything was going on. And I don't think I was the only one who had that problem

I mean, I saw She Wants Revenge there when they were just breaking and were getting a following, and there were still maybe only 40 people there. The enxt day I told a few of my friends about the show and they all had the same reaction: "I had no idea they were playing there."

I know the Annex advertised in the Itshmus and the Onion, and yet it just never seemed to register. Can't pinpoint why.

Also the parking situation there kind of sucked.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Location, location, location. The Annex didn't have it. I never took a chance on a show there like I do at the Freq, HN, or the Union. If I was going to the Annex it was to see a band I knew.

The White Stripes opening for Sleater-Kinney in 2000 is a good memory.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Madison Music