MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Privatization

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Privatization

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 am

So we have an administration that is hell bent on privatizing as much as they can. The argument? Well, the private sector can do it better. There will be compitition. So, here is one of their plans in action:

After just one day Badger Cab is walking away from its contract with Logisticare, an Atlanta-based company that took over the coordination of rides for state Medicaid patients on Friday July 1.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/h ... z1RKeMXJOX

Bwaaaahhhaaa. It lasted one day. This next bit is classic.

Schneider says Logisticare booked rides with Badger for patients in wheelchairs, even though the company has no vehicles that can transport wheelchairs. Logisticare also booked rides with Badger for patients in Milwaukee and spots as far away as Green and Rock counties, Schneider says. When his staff tried to work these problems out, they were unable to reach anybody at Logisticare's new call center in Madison who could help them, Schneider claims. "We had people calling their 800 number on hold for over an hour," he says. "We never knew who we were talking to. We got people in Atlanta and Arizona."

Sure, there may be some kinks, but that is ridiculous. That's right folks. The private sector does it so much better. I guess you could go with their competitor. Oh wait, they don't have one. Dumbfucks.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Privatization

Postby indycoyote » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 am

stuff like this will make for great campaign ads!
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:45 am

"Metro Plus," the program Walker eliminated at Badger, was about 1/3rd of their daytime business. It's a pain in the ass. You have to fill out a tiny sheet on the foam steering wheel for each Metro Plus rider: full name, pick and drop addresses, scheduled pick-up time, actual pick and drop time, cab number, different 7 digit # for each one, ticket or cash, mileage driven for each rider, door-to-door attended or normal, and more. And Badger has a zone system with 250 zones, so you literally carry a briefcase of books with you. So when the dispatcher drops 4 Metro Plus riders on you with 4 different pick-up and 4 different drop spots, it's intense.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 am

Just keep in mind what this is really about. Here is what it is not about. It is not about providing good service to the customers. It is about saving money for the state so that Walker can claim he balanced the budget.

It's like cutting the program, without having to take the same kind of heat as actually just cutting the program. The man is a genius. Too bad it's the evil kind.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 pm

I hate FitzWalkerstan as much as the next guy, but Doyle got this misshapen ball rolling.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm

What pisses me off is these companies like Logisticare who bid for government contracts without having any idea what actually doing the job right would involve. They don't know the area, they don't know the clients, they don't know the businesses they'll be linked with -- the whole thing is some bright MBA's idea of a "business model" (that is, new way to get rich) and their absolute lowest priority is the people they will be serving. I'd love to know what Logisticare's chief executive officer is paying himself for this disaster.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:42 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'd love to know what Logisticare's chief executive officer is paying himself for this disaster.

$1,416,062
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:46 pm

snoqueen wrote:What pisses me off is these companies like Logisticare who bid for government contracts without having any idea what actually doing the job right would involve. They don't know the area, they don't know the clients, they don't know the businesses they'll be linked with -- the whole thing is some bright MBA's idea of a "business model" (that is, new way to get rich) and their absolute lowest priority is the people they will be serving. I'd love to know what Logisticare's chief executive officer is paying himself for this disaster.

Why not start a better company and steal their business? Sounds like a great opportunity.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Crockett wrote:Why not blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, opportunity.

fixt.

What's so awesome about this company is that it's also based out of Atlanta. So much for gettin' them jobs for Wisconsinites.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Crockett wrote:
snoqueen wrote:What pisses me off is these companies like Logisticare who bid for government contracts without having any idea what actually doing the job right would involve. They don't know the area, they don't know the clients, they don't know the businesses they'll be linked with -- the whole thing is some bright MBA's idea of a "business model" (that is, new way to get rich) and their absolute lowest priority is the people they will be serving. I'd love to know what Logisticare's chief executive officer is paying himself for this disaster.

Why not start a better company and steal their business? Sounds like a great opportunity.

I'm guessing that someone whose priorities are providing quality service and operating morally couldn't, and wouldn't, do the job on the cheap. But, hey, cheaper is always better these days, right?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Stebben84 wrote:What's so awesome about this company is that it's also based out of Atlanta. So much for gettin' them jobs for Wisconsinites.

Did you read your own link?
...the company now employs 87 people at its Wisconsin call center, including Spanish and Hmong speakers.

Of course, the ideal logistics system would require minimal human labor input.

And what's up with Badger quitting after ONE DAY? I could understand not taking more calls/rides until the system could be stabilized, but abandoning the contract after one day seems a little shortsighted. I wouldn't be surprised if Badger starts taking Logisticare calls again in coming weeks. On the other hand, Badger and Schneider get their mug in the paper taking a reactionary anti-Walker stance, so maybe it will pay off in increased publicity. (I doubt it.)

The other cab companies seem willing to work through the system's early flaws. Maybe this will pay off for them too.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:04 pm

jman111 wrote:I'm guessing that someone whose priorities are providing quality service and operating morally couldn't, and wouldn't, do the job on the cheap. But, hey, cheaper is always better these days, right?

Cheaper is always better for the same level of service. It's fine for the government to set minimum standards when purchasing or contracting services. Finding the best price from those bids that meet the minimal criteria is a no-brainer.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:12 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Cheaper is always better for the same level of service.

Fine and dandy. But it is not "the same level of service."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:Cheaper is always better for the same level of service.

Fine and dandy. But it is not "the same level of service."

I was only making a general observation. In the Logisticare case, I reserve my judgment until the operators have had time to make adjustments. If we're still hearing these horror stories in a month, then I'll concede that this particular contract was a failure.

Jonny mentioned that the old system was a PITA as well - although maybe only for drivers, not for patients. Anyone have any more experience with pre-2011 Medicare rides?

Another possible solution, as with any three-party payment system administered by the government, is to allocate the ride dollars directly to patients and let them decide what services or companies to patronize. Maybe they know better than the government, and they certainly know better than an Atlanta-based call center company.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government