MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

How early is it OK to start mowing the lawn?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

How early is it OK to start mowing the lawn?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 am

Just curious what other folks think about this.
I have no bone to pick (i.e., I'm not posting this as an excuse to complain about my neighbors or in reaction to them complaining about me) I really am just wondering, having run into the same question on a different forum.

I vote for 9AM as the arbitrary acceptable start time for mowing, but I also understand that lots of folks keep some weird hours and/or want to do it when it's not so hot and humid, so I try to be understanding.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How early is it OK to start mowing the lawn?

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 am

In my neighborhood growing up, it was 8AM. BUT, everyone knew each other and was fairly familiar with others' schedules. 9 seems reasonable.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 am

An elderly woman in the neighborhood uses a lawn service and they often start at 7 a.m. That's way too early in my book, especially when I'm not running my air and the windows are open.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 am

8 is the fair game hour, as far as I'm concerned. 7AM is a dick move, and they're probably scalping her lawn like the guys do with the old lady yard across the street from my house.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:48 am

I try to wait until late afternoon because my next door neighbor works third shift. I've got a push mower so possibly it wouldn't make that much difference.

Maybe there should be a later start time for weekends, when many people sleep in. 9 on weekends, 8 on weekdays?

The city road repair and tree-cutting crews seem to start at 7:30, and they can be at least as loud as a lawn mower.

But how can anyone cut the grass in early morning when it's all wet from dew? It wads up in the mower.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am

I try to hold off until 11, but 9 AM is perfectly reasonable, especially during the dog days of summer.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am

snoqueen wrote:But how can anyone cut the grass in early morning when it's all wet from dew? It wads up in the mower.

Not when your yard gets full sun and the early-morning heat burns it all off by 7:30.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 am

I had to arbitrate an argument between my folks over this matter over the weekend. My mom scolded my dad for mowing the lawn at 7:00 this past Saturday, but my dad's position was that since he knew the immediate neighbors were both out of town and the next nearest ones are a ways away (I grew up out in the country) it wasn't inconsiderate. My ruling: my father was technically correct but lost the argument by getting all defensive at being called inconsiderate.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 am

The landscaping crews in my neighborhood roll up shortly after 7, but this is generally on weekdays and I spot them as I'm leaving for work. But on the weekend? 9 am at the earliest, please. I wait for 10, just because of dew and I'd rather have some coffee first.

But this leads instantly to another question. How LATE should one mow? Starting early might wake some late-snoozing cranks, but at least you're off your yard by noon and the rest of the neighborhood can enjoy afternoon activities in relative peace. Of course, it's always the guy with the loudest machine that backfires who is mowing at 8 pm when I'm trying to listen to Uecker and stare at the sky.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 am

I figure as long as the sun's still out, it's OK to mow. So that means the acceptable cut-off time drifts throughout the summer.

Gotta say, I really never get upset* when folks mow, be it 7AM or 8PM, but there is no time I find the obnoxious din of a leaf blower acceptable. Dumbest. Invention. Ever. The guy across the street from me uses his to blow water off his driveway after it rains! I presume he's also the same neighbor that routinely complains to the city about my yard, the fucker.

*Which isn't to say it doesn't annoy me if I'm trying to sleep, just that I don't feel I have any reasonable right to complain. It's nobody's fault but my own that my sleep schedule is totally screwy.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 am

Ha. I love mowing at night. I'll mow until I can't see what I'm doing. Again, I don't think people mind because it's a push mower -- I've asked, in fact. I only wish it had a headlight.

I am a hopeless night owl who has lots of energy at night, and I hate doing anything in the blazing sun and heat.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:23 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I figure as long as the sun's still out, it's OK to mow.

+1
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 am

7:00am-8:30pm for mowing.
Leaf blowers are OK for blowing out the garage, but a push broom works just as well. I need a new, industrial-strength push broom. The past 3 I've bought have broken where the handle meets the broom. Need buttressing.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 am

It's possible that the only thing I won't do with my leaf blower is blow leaves. It, like my trimmer and mower, is battery-electric, so it's a bit quieter than the gas models. But for clearing grass clippings off the sidewalk, and cleaning the deck/garage floor--god, yes, the garage floor--it's possibly my favorite yard implement.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 am

TheBookPolice wrote:... for clearing grass clippings off the sidewalk...

See, here's a perfect example of what I consider the insanity surrounding lawn care/equipment.

First, I simply don't understand the compulsion to do this to begin with. It's not like some grass clippings on the sidewalk are a hazard or anything.
Second, firing up a power tool really seems easier to you than a broom?
Finally, you do know that if you do nothing, those grass clippings will disappear all by themselves via the magic of wind and rain, right?

I'm not really knocking you, 'cuz I know everyone does this, I just don't know why.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All