MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sweet corn sign
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Euthanizing and editing

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Euthanizing and editing

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:Yes, I wasn't for this, but what's the big deal with the folks doing this walk? What's the proper way to protest?

It's not the protest I have an issue with, it's the cause.
Last edited by Bad Gradger on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 am

As long as they didn't waste the meat, I see no problem with the culling.

Do those protesters also walk against the geese hunting season?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

First of all, yes, birds can get drunk from eating overripe berries. As the berries ripen, and then overripen, the sugars get converted to alcohol. Isn't that a surprise? :lol: And of course, once the birds figure out that the berry harvest is on, they will stuff themselves and voila - birds which can't perch on a wire and can only peer at you from one eye because they are on their sides.

As for the geese: another vote for Sno's observation that more geese will simply move into the now vacant habitat. And another vote for the stipulation that Canada geese in Madison are pests. However, both of those votes are subject to caveat - there wouldn't be such an overabundance (which would negate both of the above) if they couldn't reproduce in a completely unfettered environment. They have next to no natural enemies in an urban setting. Aside from the occasional road kill, about the only predator which might grab a few goslings are snapping turtles. I can't even recall seeing a road kill goose, everyone stops for them when they cross roads, even truckers. When you consider that in a "life is good" world, Canada geese can successfully raise 8-12 goslings per clutch AND they can get around to two or even three clutches in a season, you can do the math and figure out that they are just like humans in overrunning the environment.

I think the judicious thinning of the flock is an excellent idea and should be a regular and, for the forseeable future, a frequent occurrence.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Madsci » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:18 pm

The local goose harvest may be a sustainable food source. We must face the fact that the human population needs to be controlled as well.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:As long as they didn't waste the meat, I see no problem with the culling.

Do those protesters also walk against the geese hunting season?

A hunting season is a far cry from a mass killing that was carried out to help solve water quality issues. The water quality issue isn't solved, the geese, of course, are back, and there has been no long term plan offered to the public (that I'm aware of). Madison residents deserve to see a long term plan from the Parks Commission. Habitat modification/disturbance is what is needed to keep geese off of certain sites in Madison.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

A month after a controversial move to kill geese in Madison parks, the birds have returned.

Run for the hills! Now we're dealing with zombie geese.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:21 am

ilikebeans wrote:
A month after a controversial move to kill geese in Madison parks, the birds have returned.

Run for the hills! Now we're dealing with zombie geese.

I'm not worried, as long as it's only goose brains that they crave.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com