MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Paddle & Portage anyone?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Paddle & Portage anyone?

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:22 am

It'll be our third year in a row. First year with a heavy canoe and very little hydration. Last year with a lighter boat and just the right mix of gatorade and vodka we knocked 17 minutes off our time (slightly shorter route). Go figure. Even lighter boat this year but we'll probably stick with the same fluid mix.

Anyone else?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Paddle & Portage anyone?

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 pm

That time of year again. Anyone else this year?

Making it too easy for me to be the dominant foron in the field.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am

I ask again, any other forons coming out tomorrow? You do know there's free beer at the end, right?

I'll be the Steve McQueenish looking guy wearing triple-digit sunscreen, probably standing on the winner's podium at some point.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 am

I was thinking about entering my kayak but decided to get in a little better shape first. I'm pretty sure about next year. I'd go along with somebody who had a canoe if they asked me but everybody had a partner.

I'll be there to applaud, though. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:37 am

rabble wrote:I'll be there to applaud, though. :-)

Likewise.
As they say... I like to watch.

Good luck and have fun tomorrow, Narco.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Physically spent and half-drunk before noon on a Saturday. It kinda kills the weekend but it's only once a year.

I'm not a fan of the new one-at-a-time starting procedure. Takes for fucking ever. The chaos of the mass start was always part of the fun and they should go back to it.

No coverage from the paper or madison.com either. That's a first since I've been doing it.

Rabble, you should give it a try next year. Dragging the canoe across the finish line is a good feeling.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Madison newspapers had a few pictures -- you had to dig, though:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/collection_ ... ge&photo=1
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:44 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Rabble, you should give it a try next year. Dragging the canoe across the finish line is a good feeling.

I was caught by a family emergency and didn't make it, and now I feel guilty. I was going to check out how many kayakers there were.

Who's run this race with a kayak? Since those aren't eligible for any prizes, does it still feel the same to cross the finish line with one?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

rabble wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Rabble, you should give it a try next year. Dragging the canoe across the finish line is a good feeling.

I was caught by a family emergency and didn't make it, and now I feel guilty. I was going to check out how many kayakers there were.

Who's run this race with a kayak? Since those aren't eligible for any prizes, does it still feel the same to cross the finish line with one?

Real men run this race with a pontoon boat.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:46 am

rabble wrote: I was going to check out how many kayakers there were.

I think there were 9 kayaks. I've only crossed the line with a canoe but I'm guessing it's just as satisfying. My partner and I fully indulge in the party atmosphere of the thing but we're also super competitive and really give our all. By the time we cross the line we don't have much left, barely enough to hike up to the beer tent.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 am

Narco, is this you guys?

And if it isn't, aren't you jealous?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:15 pm

No, but I admire the people who dress up in that heat. I think they won for best costume or tied with the guys who did Reno 911.....which was my personal favorite.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 am

One week away. Isthmus has taken over running it so I'm looking forward to a cover story or possibly a dedicated issue.

Rabble, you trying it this time? Anyone?

We finished in the top 10% overall last year, looking to improve with some actual practice this year.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:51 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Rabble, you trying it this time?

I probably won't be in town. I inadvertently committed to a kayak camping trip on that weekend.

The current weather might cancel the trip but we don't know for sure yet. And I've been ordered to avoid doing cardio in high heat so, no. Not this year.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Since this is the first year that Isthmus has run the P&P I wondered if we would get an email asking for our thoughts on how they did. Maybe it's coming but in case it isn't I'll give mine here in the hope that someone involved might see it.

I'm happy with the starting procedure this year but I would lean towards slightly more boats in each wave.

Take 4 of the porta potties from Olin Park and add them to the 2 at James Madison. Two is not sufficient for the starting area.

Bring the raffle back.

And last but of utmost importance... water RIGHT AT the finish line or within 50 ft. The people along the route with the cups is nice but there is no excuse for not having a stand for water right there where you drop the boats. No walking way over to the tents, no standing in long lines...it's really pretty simple.

If you wanted to step into the realm of luxury, a couple of totes of chilled wet towels would make up for the switch from free beer, to 2 free beers. Maybe.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking