MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Woman Robbed In Bathroom At West Towne Mall

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Woman Robbed In Bathroom At West Towne Mall

Postby Beaver » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:50 pm

It's not safe to use public bathrooms anymore. Madison didn't leave a good impression on this Arizona woman.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/28554616/detail.html
Woman Robbed In Bathroom Stall At West Towne Mall
Police: Thief Takes Money, Gives Purse Back To Victim

Posted July 14, 2011
"Madison police said an Arizona woman was robbed as she was using the bathroom at West Towne Mall on Wednesday afternoon.The 24-year-old victim said a young man dove under the stall she was in and demanded he be given "something," ...Police said the robber is described as a black teen 14-18 years old, 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 6 inches tall and 130-140 pounds with a thin build, dark complexion and short hair. Police said he was wearing a royal blue Hollister shirt and blue jeans."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Woman Robbed In Bathroom At West Towne Mall

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:25 am

Not good. One thing that kills a mall is the perception that it isn't safe.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am

To be clear, this disturbing incident means there obviously is more than just a perception of danger at West Towne.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 am

Kids these days! Doesn't this boy know that you are supposed to rob people on the East Side?

Joking aside, I'm normally lenient on juvenile offenders but this kid deserves to be punished, robbing a woman in a bathroom stall is borderline sexual assault.

This Spring/Summer has been terrible for robberies. It's changed some of my patterns, I normally walk/bike but I've definitely been driving more if I know I'll be coming back home late at night. This sucks, it's like living in a real city except without the benefits of better public transportation, museums & nightlife.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:53 am

I've been reading for some time about shoplifters that get irate and even assault security officers upon getting caught. This one at JC Penney West Towne was a doozy. How dare that security guard try to stop that female shoplifter from leaving with her stolen merchandise!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Doesn't there seem to be something rather . . . off about this report? It doesn't make sense that he'd dive under the door, stand up in the stall to demand something, grab the purse (and dive back under?) and go directly into the men's room, only to hand her purse (minus money) back to the victim. Story seems a bit too bizarre to be true.
seashells

Postby acereraser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:00 pm

seashells wrote:Doesn't there seem to be something rather . . . off about this report? It doesn't make sense that he'd dive under the door, stand up in the stall to demand something, grab the purse (and dive back under?) and go directly into the men's room, only to hand her purse (minus money) back to the victim. Story seems a bit too bizarre to be true.

Seems strange to me too, plus, what are the odds that the victim is from out of town, and this type of attack has never happened before to a local, or at least, never been reported?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:53 pm

seashells wrote:Doesn't there seem to be something rather . . . off about this report? It doesn't make sense that he'd dive under the door, stand up in the stall to demand something, grab the purse (and dive back under?) and go directly into the men's room, only to hand her purse (minus money) back to the victim. Story seems a bit too bizarre to be true.

I agree with you; I just didn't want to be the first to say it! Plus, with all the women walking around the mall with their purses casually slung over their shoulders, isn't it easier to just grab a purse and run (especially if one chooses a victim close to an exit door) rather than go through all of the above?

I have rarely been in a mall bathroom when there aren't several women in there with me - washing, "going", combing, changing a diaper, etc. It seems odd that this guy could get into the women's room without being seen and shouted at by numerous people before diving under the stall.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm

"And that...[sob]...is why I had...[sniff]...to buy a different dress from the one you picked out."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

He must have been really small to fit under the door and then stand up in that little stall when she was already in it. So why didn't she just shoot him?

Jesus christ you people are stupid.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Nothing seems odd about it to me. It doesn't say he "stood up in the stall and then dove back under". When a person is using a toilet they are vulnerable. They can't chase after you and there are usually few if any people nearby, unlike grabbing someone's purse in the halls and making a run for it. He handed the purse back because he had no use for it.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 pm

I've always read one should not put a purse on the floor of the stall, although sometimes there's no hanger.

I keep wondering what my reaction would have been. I probably would have started cussing and getting hysterical and maybe kicked him before he could get away.

I've gotten after a few shoplifters and most of them have that guilty look on their faces.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:... why didn't she just shoot him?

Oh wait. Her gun should have been in her purse, which he took.

Then why didn't he just shoot her?

Jesus christ these people are stupid.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 am

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:54 am

I'm glad he was caught.
Beaver