MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Chinese food?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Good Chinese food?

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Isn't cumin lamb one of those dishes brought in by Uighur immigrants? I'm not near my Fuschia Dunlop books right now...
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 am

I also note that the oddly-named "Dumpling Haus" opens this week. Oddly-named in that, despite the "Haus", they serve chinese dumplings and noodle bowls.

It's run by one of the owners of Yen Ching, and it looks like a lot of their stuff is yanked from YC's sunday dim sum menu - which is good, becasue the aromatic beef and tan po pork are worth the trip alone.

I'll check it out soon and see how it fares.

Still curious if anyone's heard anything about Sze Chuan...
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jrshaul » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Dumpling Haus is good, but flawed. The food is good and the facility nicely appointed, but half the items are unavailable and the prices somewhat steep for the sort of dishes provided. There's also the issue of significant menu eccentricities including widely varying portions and add-in meatballs that cost as much as the dish itself.

I generally visit Ha Long Bay to obtain my stir-fry fix. As a pan-Asian restaurant, it's curiously devoid of any properly Chinese food, but the Laoatian and Vietnamese options are very reasonable. They also have a wide range of vegetarian and vegan options, which makes it a popular destination when I'm going out to eat with a crowd.
jrshaul

Postby NullDevice » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 am

According to the owner, they were not at all prepared for their initial popularity, and thus keep running out of things (she said she has to make the "Haus Pork" 6x more often than they planned). My guess is after a few weeks they'll get that sorted out.

The prices are a bit odd, indeed. Hopefully that'll settle out soon too.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 pm

If by "Chinese Food" you mean Asian, I would recommend Vientiane Palace Restaurant on Regent Street. Technically it's Thai but the food is freshly prepared, the staff friendly, and the food is good. The place is T-I-N-Y and lunch time packs it in quickly, normally. Call ahead if you want take out. When they say the food is hot/spicy they mean it. Very reasonable prices too.

Nam's Noodle is good however... If you go with a group (4 or more) not everyone is served at the same time. If the owner rings you up he tends to round the price up to the next dollar. If you see a hiring sign on the door go elsewhere because it will take forever to get your order. Otherwise the food is good with a fair range of prices and the staff is pretty friendly. There's a special menu for quick lunches during the week, more the American style Chinese, and another menu with a wide variety of choices. I always see a lot of Asians ordering their noodle bowls which I've got to try but I find it intimidating to eat noodle soup with chopsticks. I'm practicing at home.

Forget about Hong Kong Cafe. Prices are too high for what they serve. Everyone gets a white sauce, a brown sauce, or a red sauce. Only the ingredients on your plate vary. Boring.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I've had the pleasure of reviewing Orient House and Ichiban on South Park St. Orient House is pretty good; Ichiban is terrific.

I love fried rice and really enjoyed what I had a Orient. My companion also enjoyed their dinner. I think this place deserves a thumbs up.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Loongy22 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 am

I just tried Orient House and Ichiban on the recommendation of thebookpolice and it is good :)

Tried the spicy string beans and barbq pork at orient house, both were pretty good, barbq pork was somewhat better than most places, althought not quite excellent.

Twice-cooked prok at Ichiban was really really good :D
Loongy22

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Lily wrote:If by "Chinese Food" you mean Asian

I never do. :)

In fact I rarely like to generalize as much as "chinese" but our choice of restaurants often forces me to.

(if there were a palate of dedicated regional chinese restaurants in Madison I'd probably never eat at home again! And I'd be very poor.)
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm

NullDevice wrote:Isn't cumin lamb one of those dishes brought in by Uighur immigrants? I'm not near my Fuschia Dunlop books right now...

I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but the Uyghur are not immigrants. China came to them, not vice-versa--much like Chicanos with respect to the U.S. But yes, cumin lamb is theirs.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:50 pm

D'oh, I knew that, I really did. Sorry, I should've been more specific - the Fushia Dunlop comment implied Hunan and Szechuan (which have FD cookbooks). They're pretty far from Xinjiang. There're a few populations of Uighurs there (hunan particualrly) but they're not, as far as I know, from that part of china.

I could be wrong, though.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:38 pm

NullDevice wrote:D'oh, I knew that, I really did. Sorry, I should've been more specific - the Fushia Dunlop comment implied Hunan and Szechuan (which have FD cookbooks). They're pretty far from Xinjiang. There're a few populations of Uighurs there (hunan particualrly) but they're not, as far as I know, from that part of china.

I could be wrong, though.

No, that's right. There are lots of minority groups indigenous to Hunan and Sichuan (including the Hmong--that's where they're from originally), but the Uyghur there are immigrants.

Fuschia Dunlop's Chinese cookbooks are the best!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:49 am

I went to Ichiban for lunch yesterday and it was good. The only drawback is the huge menu has way too many interesting items on it and one order is enough for two people so it will take years before I try even half of it. Can anyone recommend a good chicken dish? We tried the garlic chicken and liked it but would like something more complex and less spicy for my relatives.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby iheartfood » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Good chinese food? If you're ever in milwaukee, try fortunes chinese restaurant. The seafood superior soup is out of this world, my family drives there just to eat on our trips home from chicago and would go out of our way to eat their before going back home to madison. Every item is great, but it is on the pricey side. Their cold cut combos are really good as well.
iheartfood

Postby Petro » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Detritus wrote:Fuschia Dunlop's Chinese cookbooks are the best!

I'm also a big fan of Barbara Tropp's "China Moon" cookbook. It's a little less Diane Kennedy-ish than the Dunlop stuff, but the recipes are solid.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Oh yes, China Moon is pretty danged nice. That basic sauce she recommends making is kind of a nifty little secret weapon.

Fuschia's blog is sort of fascinating, when she actually posts. She gets a little prosaic but danged if her recipe for red-cooked pork isn't spectacular.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues