MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gillian Welch

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Gillian Welch

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:18 am

Holy smokes guys, did any of you go see Gillian Welch & David Rawlings like I did last night? Hands down best show I've seen in years and the first time I saw a show that sounded good at the Overture.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gillian Welch

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:32 am

Had other commitments last night, sadly. I did see them, however, with Rawlings Machine at the High Noon a year and a half ago. Packed house, and incredible show. Thankfully there is video.

They're in Chicago at the Vic Theater tonight for those that can travel.

(rrnate, you've never heard a show that sounded good at the Overture before? Seriously?)

Edit: Review of last night from 77 Square.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 am

ilikebeans wrote:
(rrnate, you've never heard a show that sounded good at the Overture before? Seriously?)

Yup. I've only really seen rock bands there and something about the room isn't good for drums (or they have inept sound people - not sure which).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:57 am

rrnate wrote:Yup. I've only really seen rock bands there and something about the room isn't good for drums (or they have inept sound people - not sure which).

Are you talking about the Capital Theater before it was renovated during the Overture construction? Cause yeah, then it sounded pretty poopy.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
rrnate wrote:Yup. I've only really seen rock bands there and something about the room isn't good for drums (or they have inept sound people - not sure which).

Are you talking about the Capital Theater before it was renovated during the Overture construction? Cause yeah, then it sounded pretty poopy.

Nope, after. I've seen Wilco and Sharon Jones there and didn't like the sound either time. Granted, I probably have a "large room" problem, so my opinion is not necessarily to be trusted. However, the show last night sounded really great.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Nate, I totally agree with you. I actually wrote an email to Overture this morning complimenting them on the sound. The best word I could think of to describe it: pristine. And we were in the balcony!

I was pleasantly surprised, as I enjoy her previous albums far more than this latest, and was worried that the show would drag for me. But no! She played all of my favorite songs (Miss Ohio, Back in Time, etc.) and the new songs live made me want to give the album another try.

Dave was great too. A consummate showman.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby kicksville » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Rrnate, just so you're aware: Both Wilco and Sharon Jones were using touring engineers. Trust me - if it doesn't sound good in my house, it ain't me, the system, or the house itself.
kicksville

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Fair enough - that'd definitely explain the washy sound (as the room is a little atypical, dimension-wise).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music