MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Your last five beers

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Your last five beers

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 am

Abita x5. Variety. A trip to NOLA will do that to you...
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Nicely done. It's good stuff and they carry it at Woodmans.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Three Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf.
Surly Furious
Ale Asylum Bedlam
Ale Asylum Bamboozleator
Ale Asylum Hathaweizen

Went to a wedding in Stillwater, MN and brought me back some Surly. Great stuff, I actually preferred it to the Three Floyd's. This is not to say the Three Floyd's isn't awesome as well, but it does fetch $9.99 for a 22 oz. bomber bottle.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Troy Thiel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:47 am

I do not recommend trying this trio at home, but in order last night;
-Schlitz Tall Boy at Merchant then;
-PBR Silo at Old Fashioned, followed by a Grain Belt...
My tummy is iffy today..
the two prior were Hopaliscious and a PBR Tall boy at Alchemy...
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Lagunitas IPA (very tasty)

In the past couple of weeks I have purchased both Lagunitas IPA and Lagunitas IPA Maximus. Both were OK, but there seemed to be a certain almost burnt flavor in there as if the malt had been carmelized.

A little while back I had Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, on tap at the Malt House I believe. That was quite good.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 am

PBR
MOon Man
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Green FLash Imperial IPA
Firestone Walker Double Jack IPA

got a beer shipment in 8)
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:00 pm

My last five? Four of the usual suspects and the Black Top IPA from New Glarus. It's a seasonal release that looks like a porter, but tastes more like a traditional IPA, with a hint of malt. I like it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Hopalicious, Ambergedden, and Satisfaction Jacksin times 3. Ale Asylum had a SJ release party last night. I was enjoying the yumminess as I cast a boozy eye at the F-16's returning from Camp Randall.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 am

My Labor Day weekend last five:
Lake Louie Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale - bottle, wonderful as always but every year I forget how much this beer knocks me on my ass. On a related note I took a nap yesterday afternoon.

Lone Star - bottle at Tex Tubb's. I probably wouldn't buy a sixer for home or anything like that, but a cold bottle of Lone Star goes pretty well with a couple tacos.

Lithia Beer Regner Red - bottle. I picked up a sixer to check it out after reading the Shepard article. It was a nice creamy red with some pleasant spices and a great finish. I'll reserve judgement until I have another one but it does seem like a keeper.

New Glarus Staghorn Oktoberfest - bottle Saturday and on tap at the Chalet Landhaus Friday night. I'm definitely going to make it to the Oktoberfest festival in New Glarus at the end of the month, and I hope to get there early enough to get a Staghorn stein too.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:21 am

wallrock wrote:Lithia Beer Regner Red - bottle.

My dad grew up in Lithia territory and as a kid I remember visiting relatives in Washington/Ozaukee Counties and seeing Lithia signs on all the taverns. I'm glad it's been brought back. Gotta try some soon.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:17 pm

New Glarus Staghorn (bottle, home). I'm very happy for Staghorn season.

Shiner Ruby Redbird (bottle, home). Probably the last time I'll buy this until next summer.

New Glarus Belgian Red (bottle, home). Bought it to drink with visiting friends, and never got around to it. That's fine; more for me and my wife.

New Glarus Black Top IPA (bottle, Graze). Fun taste bud experiment. Drink this beer; note the citrusy hop flavor. Eat something with cilantro, and drink again. Citrus is gone, and the piney, resiny hop flavor jumps out like a stripper out of a birthday cake. Then eat something sweet and tart, like a blueberry, and drink again. Citrus is back.

Surly Five (bottle, home). Muled in from the Twin Cities (thanks again, Chris). You can tell this was aged in wine barrels. A complex and enjoyable pour. I've got a bottle cellared; I'm excited to see what it'll do in a year or two's time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Spent the weekend bumbling about throughout Chicago and Indiana.

Dogfish Head Pangea: on tap @ Revolution Brewing Co.
3 Floyds Zombie Dust: on tap @ the brewery
Dansk Mjød Viking Blod: bottle @ 3 Floyds
Barrel-aged Moloko Milk Stout @ the brewery
Region Riot on tap @ the brewery (hilariously served in a plastic cup. The waitress said "In the proper glass for a malt liquor! as she dropped it off.)

I wound up taking a couple growlers and a bomber of Ragnorak home, too. The food was exceptional and I only wish I was able to try more of the beers. I highly recommend visiting.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:45 am

My last five:
Lake Louie Tommy's Porter - on tap at the Majestic. During the fall and winter I seem to always get either LL's porter or milk stout at shows. They're both beers that warm up well.

House of Brews Prairie Rye Kolsch - on tap at the Old Fashioned. I like rye beers a lot and this is a new favorite. It combined the light body of a kolsch with the flavor of rye and went really well with dinner. I also got a spicy pickled egg, a questionable decision on my part.

South Shore Nut Brown Ale - growler. A friend brought back some from Ashland and it was a nice sessionable beer for flipping between the football and hockey games on Saturday.

Vintage Brewing Pumpkin Disorderly - on tap at the Vintage downtown. This was a nice post-hockey sipper, made all the better after a victory over the Fighting Sioux. I'm not usually all that into pumpkin beers but this one has a lot going on.

Founder's Breakfast Stout - on tap at Brickhouse. I see what all the hype is about, though I'll stick with Peruvian Morning as my favorite coffee stout.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Hey - it worked for the Romans!

Postby Marvell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:58 am

Petro wrote:The food was exceptional and I only wish I was able to try more of the beers. I highly recommend vomiting.

Fixed that for ya.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

From my recent vacation (but in no particular order):

Different styles of Abita, including their Jackamo IPA (hops have a spicy/peppery finish), their amber and their Mardi Gras bock. All in bottles.

LA-31 Bière Pâle, also bottled.

From the Crescent City Brewhouse their Black Forest, a very malty beer (too malty for me). On tap.

Belikin lager from Belize. Bottled.

Cerveza Imperial from Honduras. Another lager, also bottled.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails