MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Summer Restaurant Week

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Summer Restaurant Week

Postby LindsayNicole » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:16 pm

I forgot about that oyster! So awesome. I don't remember the name (Saint something? It reminded me of Santa Barbara) -- it was the size of a Gulf oyster but much more delicate.

I also thought the fish cake was nice on that seafood app, but I love salt cod anyway. We split a bottle of Grillo Parlante ("squeaking cricket") that was refreshing and tart. I love that they do only Italians on their list.

Speaking of wine, the wine list during RW at Steenbock's was boring. They need a better wine buyer.
LindsayNicole

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:But they do have a whole page on feng shui and the fast chi - medium chi - slow chi in the dining area. Come on, they are in a strip mall next to a nails place and a Super Cuts. As I said before, pretentious.

Totally agree with this. Also, just to add to it, even if they were in a standalone, super-nice building, doesn't it seem a little crowded and loud in there? I know they seem to have spent a lot of time thinking about space (based on what you see in their menu copy and website) but it doesn't really feel any different than anywhere else, and actually, if the food weren't so good, I'd probably seldom go there 'cause the room is definitely too cluttered/busy for me. (Granted, I don't know much about feng shui - it may be that whatever spidey sense one needs to really feel it is long dead to me, due to all that boozing.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm sorry to jump in and bash La Brioche, but I had brunch there last weekend with a girlfriend and it was the most irritatingly pretentious place. I did like that all tap water is filtered and the coffee was good, but I was so distracted by the faux-French pretense that it was hard to concentrate on my meal and conversation. I was particularly amused at the "no cell phone, even on the patio" policy. Because, yes, the sound of a diner on their cell phone may compete with the noise of the 1000 cars driving by on University Avenue.

Ok, hijack rant over. We now return to regular programming.
sadiekat

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews