MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Chinese food?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Good Chinese food?

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 pm

On issues more local: China Inn is close to my neighborhood, and while our first delivery experience left a lot to be desired, the one bright spot were the fairgrounds-quality fried sweet biscuits. 10 for $4, and almost the size of avocados. They're probably the only thing I'll get there again, and I'll probably get them too often for my own good.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm

I crave cumin lamb fortnightly, and if I'm gonna wander downtown to get it, I tend to grab something else too.

For fear of being seen as having a diversified palate, I decided to order the exact same thing at Ichiban that I'd last grabbed from Fugu.

The cumin lamb was easy - it's listed as "Lamb w. cumin" with a little pepper next to it on the menu. The dried chili chicken was more difficult. I wound up pulling my phone out and showing the waitress a picture of the menu item from a different place and asking "Is that this?" while indicating the "spicy and crispy chicken" - and she agreed that it was.

I was presented with this -

The cumin lamb was fantastic. Larger pieces of lamb, obviously a bit more chopstick-friendly mixed with loads of cumin, peppers and onions. It's one of the better renditions of the dish that I've ever had.

The chicken was serviceable. Again, they chopped the peppers up. The sesame seeds were added after cooking, untoasted. There was also scallion and something that tasted vaguely floral mixed in with the chicken, peppers and garlic slivers. I certainly didn't send it back, but I think I prefer Fugu's preperation of this dish.

Both of those with a 22oz Sapporo and delicious gratis orange slices with the bill came to about $35. I'll be able to get a few meals out of all of that food, too.

I'll be back for sure, but I think I'll try something else to go with the lamb next time.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 pm

kimm wrote: I concur with Yen Ching. Consistently good and a variety of more americanized options or more authentic. Would love to try the Sunday Dim Sum.

I've steered away from the Hilldale Chinese place, as it's rare good food happens in a mall. But I'll give it a shot. A little roll of the dice with Chinese food never hurt anyone, right? :mrgreen:

I just went to Yen Ching (On Midvale near beltline) and it has closed!
Tears streaming down my face.

The sign says they are focusing on a new restaraunt in Hilldale. "The Dumpling House" or something like that. Has anybody tried it? Did they carry over the same delicious menu? Dim Sum?

I'm bummed out. That old restaurant was cozy, convienent, parking a snap. Hope the cooks are still the same.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:16 pm

It's "The Dumpling Haus"

http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 46158.html

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=34632

and there's a thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52712

Sounds like a totally different restaraunt. :cry:
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Petro wrote:For fear of being seen as having a diversified palate, I decided to order the exact same thing at Ichiban that I'd last grabbed from Fugu.

I have heard, althoughy I can't confirm it, that at least one member of the kitchen staff used to work at Fugu.

I recommend their "poached [meat] in spicy sauce." That, to me, is a good benchmark of a sichuan palce, since it can go anywhere from "too spicy" to "too garlicky" to "too peppery" to the worst "too oily." It was the first indicator that the lamented China Palace had lost its head chef - the dish went from sublime to greasy nearly overnight.

Ichiban's is pretty well-balanced. Cold maybe use a little more chili, but other than that, it had a nice blend of flavors and wasn't just "tender meat sitting in spicy grease."

I finally ate there after putting it off for too long and was quite pleased. The Tofu with balck musrooms coulda used more than the three black mushroom slices in it, but other than that it was a good experience. And the seared beef stomach at the next table looked awesome.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues