MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:32 pm

mayact4 wrote:Have you read Winslow's California Fire and Life? It's my hands-down favorite of his.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:38 pm

You can read right now what I'm reading right now:
http://www.npr.org/2010/10/31/130955801/roosts?ps=rs

It's the winner of this round of NPR's Three Minute Fiction series, and it's a lovely, mysterious, very short short story.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Let me retrieve an archaic thread simply to post my accolades for Gabrielle Hamilton's Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef. Food, booze, drugs, family drama and personal exploration all wrapped up in prose as eloquent and sensible as anything Carson McCullers ever devised.

Something for everyone's palate.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:35 am

I am currently reading Age of Democratic Revolution by R.R. Palmer.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Read back through this thread to see that I'd started Omnivore's Dilemma back in '07. Never got into it then, but hauled it with me last summer to a 6-week stay in Antwerp. Not knowing anybody does wonders for my reading focus, so I figured that'd be my best shot at making it through. And I did read it straight through, and really enjoyed it. I left it in the apartment, though, when I decamped. Great book, but not worth hauling back over the Atlantic.

Polished off two other NF books in Antwerp: First, The Family that Never Sleeps, a fascinating and chilling study of fatal family familial insomnia. Unfortunate side effect: I'll probably never again order the venison at Tornado (FFFI is a prion disease). Left that one in the apartment, too.

Then, Passionate Minds: The Great Love Affair of the Enlightenment, about Voltaire and scientist Emilie du Châtelet. Brought that one home with me. We never have extended-stay houseguests, but if we did, that'd be one of the books I'd offer on the bedside table.

Just got the lovely Radioactive: A Tale of Love and Fallout, an illustrated biography of Marie and Pierre Curie. Plan to dive in this afternoon.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Ducatista wrote:Read back through this thread to see that I'd started Omnivore's Dilemma back in '07.

This one's been sitting on my girlfriend's table taunting me since she started working again. She started reading it a week before her job started and hasn't had time to get back to it, so I can't borrow it until she's finished. Gainful employment is such a mixed blessing.

Ducatista wrote:Radioactive: A Tale of Love and Fallout

I've been eyeing that one... please follow up with a review.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:48 pm

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. It's a non-fiction account of people who stayed through the Dust Bowl. A tale of how greed, deception, belief in divine destiny, and utter disregard for science can destroy lives and livelihood. Hmmmm...
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Just finished Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis. Even though it was written more than 20 years ago, it seems awfully timely.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby linbob » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 am

The Madonnas of Echo Park by Brandon Skyhorse...
linbob

Postby minicat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 am

Because this thread needs some pulp:

Ghostly Hoofbeats by Norman A. Fox (very solid oater)
Prisoner's Base (aka Out Goes She) by Rex Stout (a Nero Wolfe)
Timbal Gulch Trail by Max Brand (as often is the case, a proto-noir masquerading as a western)

and I read Boogaloo by Arthur Kempton, a retelling of 20th Century black music history through the stories of Thomas A. Dorsey, Sam Cooke, Motown, Stax and Suge Knight - and with a very specific metaphor. Nobody really comes off very well in that one.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby verve2 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Wife is reading 'Then he ate my boy enhancers'.
I'm reading 'The Reckoning'.

She's more of the avid reader but needs a dose of goofy British humor every once in a while.
verve2

Postby robter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm

I just read The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-time and it was actually pretty good. It is a book by my favorite author, Mark Haddon, though he only has a number of books. I like this one better than A Spot of Bother, which was funny as well.

He really has a knack in making serious story lines be a funny one, which is my kind of thing. It was about a boy, Christopher and his search for the suspect who killed his neighbor's dog. He was actually pinned as the one who did it, but he was just checking the dog out as it was not moving anymore.
robter

Postby peripat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:18 pm

"Curious Incident ..." is a very entertaining book- probably the only autistic juvenile detective in modern lit. Currently reading short stories- 'A Fish Full of River' by Janet Bland.....surreal banality is the only way I can describe it- almost really like it
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 pm

The Annals by Cornelius Tacitus, which I have to say really rings true to me these days.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 am

The Doors by Greil Marcus-- coming soon to a Soul Kitchen nearby. Marcus' reverence for the Lizard King and his band seems to have risen quite a bit in the intervening decades.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Books