MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 am

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/126825018.html

Witnesses' accounts claim everything from dozens to hundreds of young black people beating white people as they left State Fair Thursday night.
I don't know if this is true or not... but it fits with some of the racism I see here in Madison.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Racist attack @ Wisconsin State Fair

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

Hate to pick nits, but it's our state fair too. (WI State Fair)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:I don't know if this is true or not... but it fits with some of the racism I see here in Madison.

This "fits"?

I've never witnessed a violent mob mentality in Madison akin to what was described in the article.

I'm curious what sparked the mob, how they organized, and why the racial targeting. There's something missing from this equation and it just doesn't add up. But I guess if the movie Rubber taught me anything it's that sometimes things happen for no reason.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:17 pm

There's been more documented instances of "mob robberies" in the news as well.

a story from back in Feb in St. Paul:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9094 ... in-St-Paul

Its an interested criminal trend-- "Pre-meditated mob mentality"

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:22 pm

supaunknown wrote:I'm curious what sparked the mob, how they organized, and why the racial targeting. There's something missing from this equation and it just doesn't add up.

I haven't paid very close attention, but there have been some similar events in the Milwaukee area recently. I recall one after the fireworks. A bit further back, there was mayhem at Mayfair Mall. All were reported with a racial/racism angle, as I recall.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:31 pm

The articles say there were 200-300 youths, male and female, attacking the crowd near the entrance/exit to the State Fair by the highway exit and further down the street. It's on jsonline.com. My first thought was where this large group of kids came from before heading to the State Fair and what could have sparked this? Several Milwaukee reports claim witnesses said the youths were african-american and they were attacking whites. I wasn't there so I don't know. Some people were pulled from bikes and motorcycles and beaten. Other kids jumped on top of cars trying to force their way in, pull out occupants and beat them. WTH??
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I've just received a first-hand report that no such trouble occurred yesterday in or around the cow barn....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:50 pm

supaunknown wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:I don't know if this is true or not... but it fits with some of the racism I see here in Madison.

This "fits"?
Oh I don't know. A thespian from the Broom Street theater was held up at gun point on the Bike trail by the Goodman center. While his room mate was beaten and robbed by 4 angry youth on the bridge on Milwaukee street. A fellow I bought a car from was beaten and robbed by two angry gentlemen on Milwaukee street between the time I called to look at the car and when I arrived the next day to see it. Another angry man stopped to help a fellow stuck in the snow bank by Woody and Anne's Pub by lightening the load in the man's wallet via a crowbar. A fellow threw a rock through the window of my car and stole my laptop even though the other door was unlocked, while another stole a neighbors mother's car while she went inside to warm up. Another fellow rides up and down our street on his bike infrequently pausing and looking intensely down the driveways, while neighbors say their vehicles are nearly continually robbed. I started to notice these things after someone stole my PC. The one thing that stuck out is that it was always a black on white crime. While one can't say what the motivation is, it is a pattern. You could say that it's traced to poverty, but the ratio doesn't allow this to be the single cause.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Lily wrote:The articles say there were 200-300 youths, male and female, attacking the crowd near the entrance/exit to the State Fair by the highway exit and further down the street. It's on jsonline.com. My first thought was where this large group of kids came from before heading to the State Fair and what could have sparked this? Several Milwaukee reports claim witnesses said the youths were african-american and they were attacking whites. I wasn't there so I don't know. Some people were pulled from bikes and motorcycles and beaten. Other kids jumped on top of cars trying to force their way in, pull out occupants and beat them. WTH??

That sounds quite a bit like the "flash mobs" that they've been seeing in Chicago in recent months. Anywhere between dozens and hundreds of young people coming up from the south side on the red line and causing problems.

The media refused to report it for quite awhile, even going so far as attributing beach closings to heat-related injuries on a day when it was 88 degrees.

After they shut down the beach (impressive in it's own right, with the current shortage of police), the feral youth moved over to the mag mile area and started trouble in front of Water Tower Place, resulting in calls reporting a fight involving 75-100 people.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:17 pm

This is all pretty troubling. I was a school bus driver in college about 20 years ago in Madison when we did have a racial incident. There was a bus from one one of the more affluent neigborhoods of whites that was boarded by about a dozen african americans that started beating on each other. I never knew what triggered that. I was just shocked at what was going on and tried like heck to get it stopped. These things do happen here.

I have two boys that are a year old and was looking forward to taking them to the fair. I now wonder if that isn't a bad idea. They don't need to be around this kind of hate. I am not afraid of a mob or getting pushed around a bit, but don't want my boys to get hurt. On the other hand, what fun would a fair be that is locked down like a police state?

What would you guys do?
Comrade
Forum Addict

Re: Racist attack @ WI State Fair

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm

If you don't go, the terrorists have won.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 pm

A true and valid point. However, I have learned over the years to pick and choose my fights. It is one thing to make a stand on principal, but in making that decision you have to ask if taking the stand was worth the price? I am trying to decide that right now, but am leaning towards going...
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Comrade wrote:A true and valid point.

Sorry you missed the attempt at humor.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:09 pm

OK, I missed it. Sorry. What would you do with two little boys?
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 pm

In all honesty, I don't know. I'd like to think that I'd go. I think there is a relatively low risk of any real harm resulting, but there is always that chance.
But, then again, do you take them in the car with you? Or to the local park? Or to the grocery store? I think you see where I'm going with this.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines