MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Tempest Oyster Bar

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Tempest Oyster Bar

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:47 am

They are also co-hosting an Underground Food Collective Pop-up with Osteria Papavero on Sunday, August 21st.
Location is described as the "alley between Tempest and Papavero".
Tickets available at Papavero (and possibly elsewhere), but I haven't seen any ads or announcements yet.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Scotty wrote:Tempest Oyster Bar Pre-Opening for Clean Lakes Alliance

Tickets $50.00 here...

http://tempestpreopening.eventbrite.com/

I saw that on Facebook. Didn't want to be the snarky foodie who commented on FB, but I'll be the snarky foodie commenting on TDP. From the event invitation:

"This is a POP UP EVENT: They are becoming more and more popular around the country, especially in large cities. With short notice, the event or store is promoted and appears shortly after - creating an excitement around the experience since people know if they do not go, it will be gone!"

Does a "preopening" party in an existing restaurant that will continue to be the same restaurant in the same space count as an all caps pop up event?

My thought was no, but I am willing to admit that I'm wrong if anyone thinks it does count...

Regardless, sounds like fun for a good cause. I can't swing the $50 but I look forward to going to Tempest. I got a sneak peek at the space and it was beautifully made over- if, like me, you read the State Journal article lauding its plaster clam shell and groaned, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Does a "preopening" party in an existing restaurant that will continue to be the same restaurant in the same space count as an all caps pop up event?

My vote is no, also. It might be an off-the-radar event, but minimal publicity does not a pop-up make.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:43 pm

jman111 wrote:They are also co-hosting an Underground Food Collective Pop-up with Osteria Papavero on Sunday, August 21st.

Alright foodies (I am far from one), has anyone else heard of this? Am I breaking some sort of code by mentioning it?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:46 pm

jman111 wrote:
jman111 wrote:They are also co-hosting an Underground Food Collective Pop-up with Osteria Papavero on Sunday, August 21st.

Alright foodies (I am far from one), has anyone else heard of this? Am I breaking some sort of code by mentioning it?

Ha! That's exactly what prompted my reply. A few restaurants melding together in an alleyway to create a dinner only a select few who find out first can attend = POP UP EVENT.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 pm

swoon_queen wrote:...only a select few who find out first can attend...

Alright folks, move along. Forget I mentioned it. Nothing to see here....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:00 pm

There was mention, I think in the Isthmus recap of the Graze/L'Etoile UFC night, that a partnership with Osteria Papavero was in the works. But nothing firm has crossed my wire, anyway.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm

pssst. It's official. I already have tickets.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 pm

jman111 wrote:pssst. It's official. I already have tickets.

Well there you go. And I see it there on Brown Paper Tickets, but I won't post the link to preserve your score a little while longer.

(MY EYES ARE TOO TIRED FOR 50% FONT SO I'LL JUST POST MY PS IN HOMER SIMPSONS'S LOUDWHISPER.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:45 pm

As stated earlier, I honestly didn't know if I was violating foodie etiquette by mentioning it. This is uncharted waters for me.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:54 pm

I actually don't think you are. Individual word-of-mouth is how these things go. If Isthmus or 77Square had front-paged it, that might have been a little food-dork faux pas. But bulletin board chatter is how these things run.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rtpants » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Oysters ship live. Being on a coast makes no difference. (Sounds like a left or right coaster w/ an attitude issue re: the Midwest and/or its food.)
Rtpants

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:06 am

I went to Tempest tonight. This is an overused phrase, but I really wanted to like it. They serve till ten and then have a late-night menu which is huge to me.

I had the halibut. It was Excellent! It was $23, four inches square, and a la-fucking-carte. I had a martini, requesting low-end top shelf vodka. It was perfect. It was $11.25.

$41 with tip for 6 bites of nice fish and a glass of Smirnoff just comes up short for me. It's a nice place and I wish Henry well, but I'll stick with other places. If I had gotten 50 cents worth of veggies in a bowl with some dressing (with my meal) I would have been so much less disappointed...
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 am

Six months. One year MAX.

There's a lot wrong with their business plan.

1. Most people (especially in Madison away from the coasts) don't like Oysters. Yet its in your name. I think just "Tempest" would have sufficed.

2. I've grown accustomed to mediocre service in Madison restaurants but your waitstaff/bartenders truly are not fun. Sorry to make you get me a drink on a Saturday night...

3. To Narc's point, its good, but its expensive.

I still don't completely understand why Magnus went down. The food, music and bar area were great.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Oysters versus sashimi

Postby kulgar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Oysters live in shallow waters near the coasts and suck up everything and anything that is in the water. Tasty little things for the oyster to filter and eat, and any pollution that happens to flow by may also get absorbed.

Sashimi can be ordered so you are only getting deep water animals that lived and fed in less polluted (mercury excepted) environments. So in general terms, sashimi typically has fewer man-made pollutants in it.

As for the "rapid transit" causing nasties, some epidemiologists would never swallow an oyster. But in all reality, you are in greater danger of getting killed or seriously injured by a drunk driver (possibly yourself) or getting shot (even before our new Wild West open carry law) than you are to die by oyster.
kulgar
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews