MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

smoking a pork shoulder on my Weber

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: smoking a pork shoulder on my Weber

Postby Petro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Boy, have I learned that this summer. I'd been working my way through a bag from Whole Foods, and when I switched to Cowboy, man, did it take a long time for the bottom half of the kettle to cool down. It's almost too much of a good thing. I think the Whole Foods 365 brand tends to put off less ash than Cowboy, too.

Good call - the 365 Brand is good stuff too. (As is some other hippie brand that I found at the co-op in Viroqua - the Willy St. Co-op probably carries the same stuff.)

This is probably a good time to share this link to the Naked Whiz's lump charcoal database.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

rogue wrote:Meat temp should reach 160 degrees

Yikes, what're you making, pork jerky?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:10 am

I use Kingsford Competition Briquettes, which are 100% natural -- no chemicals of any kind. When smoking something on the grill, it helps a lot to have a can or two of water on the grate with the meat to keep it from drying out. Basting with either a brush or spray bottle helps too. I've found with pork that marinating it in pineapple juice makes for a very tender and flavorful end product. Pineapple has natural enzymes that tenderize the meat. Seems that wood chips are readily available at grocery & hardware stores these days. Apple, hickory or mesquite are all good to me. Any wood chips sold for barbecuing usually have instructions suggesting that they be soaked.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues