MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Advice for getting Great Taste of the Midwest tickets?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Advice for getting Great Taste of the Midwest tickets?

Postby wallrock » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am

Athena wrote:The weather wasn't too bad with the sunshine but it took me hours to get warm afterward.

I was pretty chilly until 10, then the beer did the warming. The propane heaters helped too.

I showed up at 6:15 and ended up #134. Last year I was #128 at 6:30 and the year before (when they switched to 2 tickets per person) I was #115 at just after 6:30. That year there were still a few spots open as late as 11:30 due to confusion over the length of the line. Of course five years ago we were around 40th in line at around 8:30 and we thought that was crazy.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 02, 2011 11:06 am

The line at Star Liquor on Willy went around the block. When I went by about 10:30 it stopped just a little bit before the back entrance to Willy Coop
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:05 pm

I have great respect for the Guild and crew and the fest is awesome.

Last year, No Mas

The temptress again calls and I come and it's Madison and I can't help myself because she is just going to hurt me again.

And it's going to be muddy.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Wasn't muddy and I had a good time. I think maybe the heat of years past made people, including me, grumpy. Rave on.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 am

I had a great time too. Was it just me or were the attendees unusually cheerful and polite this year? With an inebriated crowd of that size, there is inevitably some bumping and jostling going on, but it didn't seem to bother anybody. Just a lot of sunshine, beer, and smiles all around.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:41 pm

gargantua wrote:I had a great time too. Was it just me or were the attendees unusually cheerful and polite this year?

It’s the first time I’ve been there in several years. Thanks for noticing.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun May 06, 2012 5:27 pm

We were somewhere around #150-160 in line at 6:15 this morning at Capital Brewery.

We were very fortunate that it didn't begin pouring rain until we'd secured sheltered seating on the stage in Capital's beer garden.

I have to say, MHTG & Capital did a great job of running that show. I've never seen such a large group of people that early, drinking as much and staying in such good spirits despite multiple horrendous downpours. The folks selling $1 cups of coffee were just brilliant, too.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sun May 06, 2012 6:01 pm

I have to say, I've had a number of interesting times waiting for Great Taste tickets. The most enjoyable was several years ago when Wonders Pub was still open. They gave us numbers, let us in and we sipped bloody marys and watched it snow, yes snow, while we waited for noon to come.

Standing outside in a downpour and seeing lightning strike and hearing the thunder clap simultaneously is interesting too, But not in a good way.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon May 07, 2012 10:43 am

Petro wrote:I have to say, MHTG & Capital did a great job of running that show. I've never seen such a large group of people that early, drinking as much and staying in such good spirits despite multiple horrendous downpours. The folks selling $1 cups of coffee were just brilliant, too.

Definitely. At 9 just before they let us into the bier garten I was starting to get nervous but the only time I got pelted with rain was when I dashed out from under the overhang get around the crowd to get a pitcher refill.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 am

We went the Cork'n'Bottle route this year. I had one coming to me through work, but I needed more for buddies.

Woke up at 7:30 and walked down to Cork'n'Bottle and was there by 8am. about 8:30 the Great Taste staff came through with the line placeholder numbers, we were numbers 109 and 110. The store only got 300 tickets to sell this year so we were safe with our spots. Went home and chilled out until noon.

Got back to our spot in line around noon and that was the longest wait of the day, we didn't buy our tickets until about 1 o'clock --but all and all not a bad experience. A lot of people who didn't live nearby got drenched though...

Got our tickets with very little hassle this year.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon May 07, 2012 11:07 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Got our tickets with very little hassle this year.

Up at 7:30, wait til 8:30, go back home until Noon, wait in line for another hour...... nearly a 6-hr. process.

You and I have a very different definition of "very little hassle", my friend. Have a great time!
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon May 07, 2012 11:14 am

Bland wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Got our tickets with very little hassle this year.

Up at 7:30, wait til 8:30, go back home until Noon, wait in line for another hour...... nearly a 6-hr. process.

You and I have a very different definition of "very little hassle", my friend. Have a great time!

ha, its all relative I guess. There were some nut-rolls camping out Saturday night after bar time for tickets...my process barely interrupted my normal Sunday routine.

My total time spent in line was about an hour and a half, and with the marvels of modern technology --namely an ipad and netflix, and the fact I didn't have to get out of my pajamas for the first trip out to get my place-holder, I'm calling it a win.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Drinkslinger » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 pm

You don't have to wait in line. Every year, I purchase 2-3 tickets the day of. First, find a bar that is taking a shuttle bus down (say the fine folks at the Ale Asylum). When you get there, tell the bartender you are looking for tickets. Usually there are people selling tickets. I always score at least 1 or 2 tickets on the ride down.
Second, stand near the road as people begin to walk up into line. Listen for people shouting they are selling tickets or start shouting that you are looking to buy. Last year, I scored my 3 tickets in 25 minutes. Never pay over face value. remember, at 1:01pm those tickets are losing value.
$50 a ticket is a steal for the beers they have, unlimited drinking for 5 hours. See you there!

Cheers,

Drinkslinger

p.s. Founders taps KBS at 5:00pm. If you have one beer Saturday, KBS...
Drinkslinger

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Drinkslinger wrote:p.s. Founders taps KBS at 5:00pm. If you have one beer Saturday, KBS...
Have you heard if there's any chance there'll be a surprise appearance of CBS?
Damn good stuff.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Drinkslinger » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 pm

I checked the listing, page 48:

http://www.mhtg.org/system/uploads/document/great_taste/2012/2012_great_taste_program.pdf

Looks like no. But, like other "surprise appearances," go to the booth and ask someone pouring. They'll usually tell you. Last year, the worlds most expensive beer, Samuel Adams' "Utopia" was opened. It was not listed in the booklet, you had to ask the staff.
Drinkslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails