MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Meanwhile a 63 yo guy trying to get some exercise in Warner park this morning gets the shit beat out of him.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 03286.html

As far as vigilantism goes, I wouldn't want to see any kind of weapon pulled out by either side in something like this, but if some guys walking nearby had run up and pounded the snot out of these shitbags, I would want to buy them a beer. (the pounders, not the shitbags)
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 am

narcoleptish wrote:Meanwhile a 63 yo guy trying to get some exercise in Warner park this morning gets the shit beat out of him.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 03286.html

I freely acknowledge it could just be anecdotal or my perception, but these sorts of crimes involving single white victims and multiple young black men perpetrating appear to be on the upswing. I'd be interested to know (from a reputable source, e.g. not Blaska) if it is, in fact, the case.

There's an interesting piece in this month's Scientific American about how New York managed to push its crime rate down, beyond the general national decline of the 90s and through the present. It details how the decline can't be explained by gentrification or policies to alleviate poverty and other socioeconomic factors.

The author's best explanation is more cops on the street, quickly deployed to "hot spots" with effective IT systems, cracking down harshly on misdemeanors and smaller crimes. (He specifically rejects the "broken window" theory, which focuses on marginal areas rather than the most crime-ridden.)
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 am

Just heard from a friend today that he was assaulted last week in Oshkosh, of all places, similarly to the attacks around here. Group of young, black males followed him through a (relatively decent) neighborhood. One approached and asked an unintelligible question, then asked to use his phone. He refused and kept walking, while trying to keep an eye on their shadows.

Didn't work-- one ran up and clocked him in the back of the head, then ran off. No attempt at robbery in this instance. Found out later that a guy in a car had been circling after seeing the group tail him, and that he would have had some help if things had continued beyond a single punch.

Also, the flash mob thing was seen in Philadelphia last week. Whatever the trend, it's not just local.

P.S. England seems to be on fire.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am

Bad Gradger wrote:There's an interesting piece in this month's Scientific American about how New York managed to push its crime rate down, beyond the general national decline of the 90s and through the present. It details how the decline can't be explained by gentrification or policies to alleviate poverty and other socioeconomic factors.

The author's best explanation is more cops on the street, quickly deployed to "hot spots" with effective IT systems, cracking down harshly on misdemeanors and smaller crimes. (He specifically rejects the "broken window" theory, which focuses on marginal areas rather than the most crime-ridden.)

Thank you Bad Grad for pointing to the Scientific American article. The key seems to have been more police on the street, something Madame Brenda and Progressive Dane have fought from the start.

The author sort of dismisses "broken windows" but I think, mistakenly. Because the following describes broken windows to a T and is the prescription that Madison PD Chief Noble Wray is using in Meadowood. In an interview with me, he claimed to be an adherent of broken windows and knows personally one of the authors of that theory, George Kelling.

Scientific American wrote:Patrols then deploy in full force on-site—whether it is a sidewalk, a bar or any other public place—sometimes for weeks at a time, systematically stopping and frisking anyone who looks suspicious and staring down everyone else.

The article goes on to describe "the aggressive program of street stops and misdemeanor arrests." That is nipping in the bud the small things to send the message that going for the big things is not a good idea. The article also notes the disproportionate emphasis on neighborhoods populated by "young men of color" but also
Scientific American wrote:But the benefits of reduced crime also disproportionately favor the poor—ironically, the same largely dark-skinned young males who suffer most from police aggression now have lower death rates from violence and lower rates of going to prison than in other cities.

It's the zero tolerance attitude I have been hawking for several years now.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:57 am

BTW, the good liberals of NYC, including the New York Times, pilloried the mayor who set this good work in motion, Rudy Guiliani.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am

Similar incidents in Milwaukee on July 4th.The Milwaukee Police Chief seems to be hapless/in denial:

Flynn calls looting, beatings in Riverwest barbaric

"Shaina Perry remembers the punch to her face, blood streaming from a cut over her eye, her backpack with her asthma inhaler, debit card and cellphone stolen, and then the laughter.

"They just said 'Oh, white girl bleeds a lot,' " said Perry, 22, who was attacked at Kilbourn Reservoir Park over the Fourth of July weekend."

More...

"It didn't seem like it was a mugging - it seemed like an attack. Like they weren't after anything - just violence."

More...

"About 20 of us stayed to give statements and make sure everyone was accounted for. The police wouldn't listen to us, they wouldn't take our names or statements. They told us to leave. It was completely infuriating," Bublitz said.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/125027704.html
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 am

From January:

9 Teens Arrested For Mayfair Mall Melee

WAUWATOSA, Wis. -- Nine juveniles, ages 13 to 17, were arrested Sunday for various acts of disorderly contact, retail theft and battery in and outside of Mayfair Mall, according to Wauwatosa police.

Investigators say the three boys and six girls are all from Milwaukee and their cases are being referred to the District Attorney's Office.

Police said they received calls shortly before 5:30 p.m. Sunday reporting large groups of disorderly people in and outside the shopping center. They said most of the subjects were teenagers.

More...

“A crowd of like 50 to 60 kids just came barreling through the upstairs door at Boston Store, knocking down everything they could touch. They went running down the stairs. All that we heard was glass breaking. There was security yelling to every manager to lockdown the doors, lockdown the mall, lockdown the store,” the customer said.

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/news/26347040/detai ... z1UXuuMxd2
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 am

four days ago, jman111 wrote:...but there have been some similar events in the Milwaukee area recently. I recall one after the fireworks. A bit further back, there was mayhem at Mayfair Mall.

Excellent investigative work, Ned.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

David Blaska wrote:It's the zero tolerance attitude I have been hawking for several years now.

Effectively, I might add.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Seeing as how this thread has strayed far and wide, I'll toss in my 2 rupees. In the big picture, what we are seeing is pretty normal for America. It's the inevitable result of capitalism: some have a lot, some have enough, some have some, some have a little, and some have nothing. the middle 3 groups have a glimmer of hope to ascend to a higher group. the bottom, well, they don't have even a glimmer, and they don't give a damn because they have nothing left to lose. That's not to say there aren't bums AND saints in every group. However, that's a capitalistic society at it's core: if everybody was a have, society wouldn't function. Ditto if everybody was a have not. Face it, there is no permanent solution to the forces of poverty. Therefore, there is no solution to what ails our society...but never fear, that's how it's been forever.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:57 am

david cohen wrote: Therefore, there is no solution to what ails our society...but never fear, that's how it's been forever.

I don't agree with this last statement one bit. There have been periods where employment opportunities have been much better. I see what is happening here and in London the result of 5 years of despair.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 am

David Blaska wrote:It's the zero tolerance attitude I have been hawking for several years now.

I don't know what's more horrifying, the fact that you believe in zero tolerance, or your great pride in believing it.

"Zero tolerance" is the dogma of fools who don't understand nuance and can't think deeply enough to find real solutions to problems.

If we're going to enforce zero tolerance principles, let's apply them to lies and liars, especially small-pond conservative talking heads who are frequently allowed to appear and lie unchecked on the Joy Cardin show.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 am

Huckleby wrote:
david cohen wrote: Therefore, there is no solution to what ails our society...but never fear, that's how it's been forever.

I don't agree with this last statement one bit. There have been periods where employment opportunities have been much better. I see what is happening here and in London the result of 5 years of despair.
It's true, and studies show that crime, especially domestic violence, drops dramatically when people have more money like it did during Clinton's economy.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby exPatBearla » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 am

Something I've not heard mentioned is the fact that cities, like Chicago, have expelled their poorest citizens by demolishing their public housing projects. These people had to move somewhere. It was especially helpful when slumlords provided free transportation to their small towns and cities where they had their crappy Section 8 tenancy apartments waiting for them so the landlord could receive the government checks.

You're experiencing the problems resulting from endemic, multi-generational poverty, poor public housing (then its demolition), and the large cities' refusal to do more for their poorest residents than to kick them out the door. And now small towns and communities across the midwest are forced (or will be) to deal with the failures of the big cities.

These people perpetrating these crimes don't give a fuck because society hasn't given a fuck about them or their families for decades. It's no different in England, and I suspect, in any "advanced" capitalist society. Sooner or later, a large underclass of "unemployable" people is created. This can't be ignored and in a free society, it's impossible to jail whole sections of the population.

The only solution is a large scale robust, proactive social support/intervention program and wealth redistribution along with education and, most importantly, jobs. In the current political climate in the USA, what's the likelihood of that happening? Thought so. So be prepared for more of the same, in increasing frequency and more retaliatory gestapo-like police tactics in an ever increasing cycle of violence.

Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost.
exPatBearla

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:52 am

exPatBearla wrote: The only solution is a large scale robust, proactive social support/intervention program and wealth redistribution along with education and, most importantly, jobs .

I generally agree. I emphasize the education & jobs. Wealth distribution - an indirect biproduct. No need to demonize wealth.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines