MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Byrd's closed

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Byrd's closed

Postby Shorty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Byrd's was a sports bar in Middleton on Frank Lloyd Wright Ave. Not bad for a sports bar. I hope something better goes there.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Byrd's closed

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Not to make light of what must be a difficult circumstance, but this is a little funny (from the Byrds website):

We regret to inform you that due to financial reasons, Byrd's Pub & Grill of Fitchburg and of Middleton are closed until further notice.

We apologize for any inconvenience, it has been a oy to meet and serve you all.

Oy, indeed.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 pm

In a perfect world, every sports bar would be replaced with a sports bra. (Not just anagramatticaly.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm

fennel wrote:In a perfect world, every sports bar would be replaced with a sports bra. (Not just anagramatticaly.)

If only. Their Fitchburg location has a new sign that shows the property will be replaced by...

... another sports bar. Sigh.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:14 pm

I liked the Byrds in Fitchburg. That has to be a tough location, with (I imagine) high rent, and no visibility from PD.

I guess it was a sports bar in the sense that there were sports on TV - but most bars do. Those fans of "Yes Dear" reruns and TCM just don't fill the stools.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Igor wrote:I guess it was a sports bar in the sense that there were sports on TV ...
Otherwise put, "I guess it was torture in the sense that I was drilling a three-quarter inch spade but into your groin – but most bars ... "
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:44 pm

fennel wrote:
Igor wrote:I guess it was a sports bar in the sense that there were sports on TV ...
Otherwise put, "I guess it was torture in the sense that I was drilling a three-quarter inch spade but into your groin – but most bars ... "

Well, I guess Vintage Brewing Company, the Olive Garden, Bennet's Country Club (well sometimes) and Le Tigre are also sports bars then, as they will have sports on TV.

There are not a lot of non-sports bars on the west side if that is your definition.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 am

I went to the Middleton Byrd's quite often during the year or so it was open. Usually it was to catch the game since I don't have cable. I left the spade at home. Now I love the Malt House and the Mason as much as the next guy, but have you ever tried to listen to a hockey game on the radio?
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:52 am

fennel wrote:

So does that make the Harmony a sports bar? What an odd world. What constitutes a non-sports bar then? If they only have Packers and Badgers sports on the tube, is it still a sports bar? What about when the local heroes aren't playing? Is "sports bar" status conditional or comprehensive?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 am

Igor wrote:I liked the Byrds in Fitchburg.

"...I like the Byrds and their lps
And I'm a refugee..."

- Richard and Linda Thompson, "Mole in a Hole"
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews