MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Running Up Behind the Wheel

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Running Up Behind the Wheel

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm

What is with this rash of folks who shoot up heroin, in their cars, and then try to drive? There was just another incident where a guy shot up smack and was careening down the beltline when he passed out at the wheel. Luckily his passenger, who was also high on smack, stayed conscious and pulled his foot from the accelerator. But I read this crap at least once a week. Yeah, I know, it takes an idiot to become a junkie in the first place, so why expect rational decisions from junkies...but seriously, every junkie I've ever known (mostly sweet, sweet people and sadly they are all dead now) just wanted a quiet place to do their thing, out of the spotlight...why are the modern junkies popping it off in their cars and driving???
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Running Up Behind the Wheel

Postby Wino » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Hopefully Gozer will chime in...
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:28 am

And another one today...

Heaven help us.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Christ I just read about it. The only reason I can see for the spate of these incidents is the meteoric rise of heroin usage. Folks don't just need a fix, they need it on the spot as soon as they score. Why else are they shooting up in their cars? It's only a matter of time before an innocent pedestrian/bicyclist/motorist gets killed by an unconscious junkie behind the wheel. I'm under no illusions that junkies can be treated very successfully...but how do we keep them from driving right after they've gotten their fix??
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm

"They were heading to the interstate when Anderson went down," said Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain.

In this case, it appears they were heading back out to the interstate after they scored (en route to Baraboo or Portage?). Probably lucky for them they weren't going 65+ this time.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Vincent: "Thank you. Mind if I shoot it up here?"
Lance: "Hey, mi casa su casa."
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am

david cohen wrote:I'm under no illusions that junkies can be treated very successfully...but how do we keep them from driving right after they've gotten their fix??

Well we could offer drug treatment instead of of throwing them in a cage for a few days, months, years, or more, thinking that will magically solve the problem.

We could stop wasting money on marijuana and concentrate on hard drugs like heroin.

We could look at how other nations (i.e. Portugal, Switzerland, Canada) deal with drug abuse and have far more successful results like fewer addicts, less crime, and lower costs dealing with serious addicts.

But why would we want to try anything different than our 40-year-long War on Drugs?

Looking at the big picture there will always be idiots causing accidents on our roads for a variety of reasons, some of them far less serious than being addicted to heroin (innattentive driving, falling asleep). Or equally as serious (IMO) as drunk driving or doctor prescribed meds like oxycontin.

But if we are really concerned about heroin addiction, we need to consider alternatives to the failed War on Drugs.

http://www.globalcommissionondrugs.org/Report
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:30 pm

There's also been at least three single-car, one-person wrecks in the last week where the initial report did not say alcohol-and-excessive-speed (or drug use) were contributing factors. (Maybe the full investigations have not been reported yet.)

In all those, the first thing I said to myself was "I bet they were texting." These were wrecks where someone just plain drove off a dry, unobstructed road and into a ditch, tree, oncoming traffic, or whatever else was out there.

Without disregarding the heroin/driving connection, I think we've also got a cell phone/driving problem. I wish they'd start reporting cell phone usage right along with seat belt (and drug and alcohol) usage in accidents. Right now I think they only collect that data if there's a criminal investigation.

With shooting up, when the original poster said junkies just want a quiet place to do their thing, I think the only quiet place (or at least private place) they can think of is their car. What's disturbing is they're trying to drive at the same time. There's no reasoning with junkies, but we might wish they'd just go to an abandoned parking lot somewhere and turn off the engine.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:37 pm

supaunknown wrote:Vincent: "Thank you. Mind if I shoot it up here?"
Lance: "Hey, mi casa su casa."

Don't bring her here! I'm not even fuckin' joking with you, don't you be bringing some fucked up pooh-butt to my house!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:39 am

Sno's right - it's a bigger problem with general inattention while operating a ton of machinery at speed (no pun intended). I'm not dissing the issue with junkies, that is horrific enough on its own. A friend with a soon-to-be driving 16 year old is looking into getting some gadget that kills the cell phone the minute the kid gets in the car. Unfortunately, it only works on those phones that have their ID keyed into the device so it won't work on his friends' phones unless she keys in all of theirs too. And I got broadsided a few weeks ago by a sweet young thing rushing because she was late for work. She ran the red light and my light had been green long enough that i was almost through the intersection so it had not just turned. Once I realized I was fine (those Minis are like little Sherman tanks in designer colors :lol: ), I ran around to her car to see if she was OK. Her air bags had popped and she was looking pretty shaky. But she was unhurt. However, she had a cell phone in her left hand :!: and there was no way she had just picked it up, she seemed unaware right then that she even had it. She admitted to the cops that she ran the red and I'll bet that the insurance companies (hers & ours) check her cell phone records to see if she was on it at the time. So her insurance rates are pretty much toast for the next few decades.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:25 am

Drunk driving, driving while talking/texting on a cell phone, eating behind the wheel...

These are all essentially the same problem. People have convinced themselves that they can do these things without compromising safety, evidence be damned. Why are people so stubborn? Everyone I know who drives drunk (which, sadly, is virtually everyone I know) agrees that other people shouldn't do it, but have convinced themselves that they're just more attentive and better at it, so it's ok. And every study ever done on the subject has concluded that human beings are absolutely lousy at multi-tasking, yet most folks don't think twice about distracting themselves when driving. It's an epidemic of denial. Go ahead and have this conversation with anyone who does it and I guarantee they'll start making excuses (as I fully expect some of you to do in response to this post.) "I can eat and drive because I'm not an idiot." "When I'm drunk, I'm careful to pay more attention so I don't worry." "Talking on the phone is no different than talking to a passenger." "Sure most people can't text and drive, but I am the exception because I'm smarter and more careful." It's all a pack of lies, folks. Keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:46 am

2 more junkies running up behind the wheel this week. Might it be time for the MPD to run some ads advising against this?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Drunk driving, driving while talking/texting on a cell phone, eating behind the wheel...

These are all essentially the same problem.

Agreed they are the same problem, but some offenses are punishable and others are not.

Non-drunk driving offenses can be wisked away by the old chestnut "it was just an accident". Case in point: Tracy Sorum killing bicyclist Jessica Bullen.

If he was drunk he would have been thrown in jail. Just being a really really shitty sober driver got him off.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 am

Christ now they're driving down the bike paths!

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:32 am

david cohen wrote:Christ now they're driving down the bike paths!

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

Looks like Capt. Obvious is now working for the Madison PD:

"'I think it's fair to say we're seeing an increase in crashes where the operators are under the influence of heroin,' said Madison Police Sgt. Erik Fuhremann."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines