MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Guilty Pleasures

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Guilty Pleasures

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:05 am

Ok, so we all have a few guilty pleasures. Like the movie you happened to see the night you lost your virginity and you always have a soft spot in your heart for it. Don't tell me about a great movie that others should see, tell me about a terrible movie that you can't seem to shake your affection for, even though you know it's terrible.

1. The Evil Dead. Not the Evil Dead 2 (Dead By Dawn) but the original. Yeah, this was my introduction to low budget horror films. Anyone can make a movie, and this movie is the proof. Of course, Sam Raimi went on to direct a terrible Spider Man film, so perhaps I was on to something.

2. Chances Are. I officially lost my virginity at age 16 to this debacle of a film. Oh, I'd messed around with the willing victim for about a year before this, but I consummated the deal after "Chances Are." One of the finest 10 seconds of my life.

3. Dragonslayer. For nerdy Dungeons and Dragons fans, this was the first movie that catered to our lack of good judgement.

4. Invaders from Mars (1986). The only thing worse than the special effects in this terrible remake is the acting. Somehow I manage to sit through this ham-fisted poor excuse for a sci-fi film every few months. And I enjoy it. Somehow.

5. Idiocracy. Beavis and Butthead creators attempt to make a movie so ridiculously stupid that they tried, failed and then succeeded unintentionally.

6. The Lord of the Rings (1978-animated). This movie is terrible. It's kind of half-animated, half-live action and 100% overacted. Frodo seems gayer than Elton John on a parade float and the movie inexplicably ends at Helm's Deep. That said, I've probably watched it more than the Oscar winning Peter Jackson films. How sad is that?

7. Pet Semetary. This is another movie where an otherwise decent script was mangled by terrible acting and direction. The cat was the scariest actor in the film and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even trying. By the time they get to the goofy, murderous infant it seems more like a comedy. Well played, sir.

8. Cool as Ice. The most untintentionally funny movie you will ever witness. I don't know whether to blame the Vanilla Ice, the writers or the director for this train wreck of a film, but if you ever want to laugh at a train wreck, this one's for you.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Postby bdog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:13 am

Applies more to TV, but I've always been a sucker for anything with Larry Storch in it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 am

1. Mars Attacks (1996). It's weird, but highly entertaining, as are most Tim Burton creations and I watch it at least a couple times a year. The SJP-chihuahua mashup has got to be the single funniest part of the show. Plus, it has Jack Nicholson in it.

2. Roadhouse (1989). My all-time favorite bad movie. Patrick Swayze as a completely unbelievable bouncer, Sam Elliott being quietly awesome, and Kelly Lynch sporting some serious Sally Jesse Raphael red-framed glasses. No shit, I've seen this 15 times if I've seen it once.

3. Walking Tall (2004). No, not the original, the one with DuWayne Johnson. It stars The Rock, need I say more?
sadiekat

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 pm

1. Tron 1
2. Tron 2
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:03 pm

sadiekat wrote:1. Mars Attacks (1996). It's weird, but highly entertaining, as are most Tim Burton creations and I watch it at least a couple times a year. The SJP-chihuahua mashup has got to be the single funniest part of the show. Plus, it has Jack Nicholson in it.

Hey wait a minute. Feeling guilty about liking good movies doesn't count.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:19 pm

[/quote]
Hey wait a minute. Feeling guilty about liking good movies doesn't count.[/quote]

Well, now I can watch it with impunity. Ok, let's sub it out...recs?
sadiekat

Postby Igor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:Frodo seems gayer than Elton John on a parade float and the movie inexplicably ends at Helm's Deep.

Ralph Bakshi didn't get the money to make the second (planned) movie, IIRC.

Agreed on Roadhouse, at least the first part. The last 15 minutes or so I kind of lose interest.

I suppose I could list Strange Brew, except that I find it hilarious, so it isn't guilty to me.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm

sadiekat wrote:
Hey wait a minute. Feeling guilty about liking good movies doesn't count.

Well, now I can watch it with impunity. Ok, let's sub it out...recs?

It's probably not on your list but I keep hearing how bad Predator 2 is and it's my favorite of the series. It's so much fun to watch Busey lose his head. I didn't know it was coming the first time and I did a Beavis and Butthead "YESSSS!" when it happened. It's still fun. The coke dealing gangs with military hardware, the voodoo guys, the Predator Combat First Aid Kit (Earth version, city environment: Crushed sheet rock or similar compound needed).

Danny Glover: "I'm a police officer!" Little old lady: "I don't think he gives a shit!"

Um. Sorry. Was that out loud? Anyway, the really smart critics say it's bad. And I just keep coming back. And now I've told everybody. Gawd.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 am

Another sci-fi title I'm fond of from Disney's wandering period: The Black Hole. It's rather dark for Disney in those days, and the John Barry score is a stunner.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 am

There is absolutely no reason to feel one iota of guilt about Road House.

I once said to a guy I arrested for battery in front of the Red Shed who was complaining he was going to jail: "The poet Dalton once said, 'Nobody ever wins a fight.' " He didn't get it.

I hope I am never a circumstance where I can use the quote, "I used to fuck guys like you in prison!"
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 am

Any movie with Sid Haig in it.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies