MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bye Bye Bean

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Bye Bye Bean

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 am

http://fitchburg.channel3000.com/news/b ... al-reasons

I can't say this was exactly a surprise. I usually play trivia there on Mondays, and they had been steadily reducing their offerings of tap beer. For the last month or so, our team made sure to spend the gift certificates you get for win, place or show as quickly as possible.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bye Bye Bean

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:05 am

Went downhill in a hurry. Not sure why. Used to be packed Thursday-Sat with brunch and football on Sunday and at least some drunks M-W. I played there quite a bit. Really liked the staff for the most part. Someone will buy it and hopefully get some people back in the door.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 am

Place has been around for what, 20 years? Not bad for a bar in a bad location.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

I'm surprised. They always seemed busy on weekends whenever I drove past. Although, I've been boycotting them ever since they had midget wrestling. That just seemed incredibly offensive to me. Not that I really went there anyway.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:35 am

I've carried a grudge against this place for the last decade so I won't be shedding any tears for them. The Bean was always my answer for worst bar in town.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

I didn't mean that...I just said it.

Postby Marvell » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Athena wrote:I've been boycotting them ever since they had midget wrestling. That just seemed incredibly offensive to me.

What are you - some kind of midget hater?

Besides Ozzy videos and the occasional holiday-themed horror movie (such as Manticlaus!), what employment opportunities do Differently Heighted Americans have any more?

If I were a midget and read your hateful words, I'd feel like a shattered glass in an acid bath - like one of those flattened ants you find on a crazy path!

Or something...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I didn't mean that...I just said it.

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 pm

Marvell wrote:Besides Ozzy videos and the occasional holiday-themed horror movie (such as Manticlaus!), what employment opportunities do Differently Heighted Americans have any more?

They can work for Chelsea Handler!!!

She talks about her love of "little people" on her show all the time, and considering the way she berates her "full size" staff on a daily basis, I'm sure she'd love to replace them all with Differently Heightened Americans!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Yeah, can't say I'm surprised. Stopped going there about 8-10 years ago. The bar staff always seemed annoyed that they had to wait on you. If I'm out for a beer, I shouldn't have to wait with an empty glass and then have to interrupt bartenders that are way more interested in their own conversation than putting money in the till. Gave them a couple chances figuring it may have only been that day, that shift, or that bartender, but it never got better.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Re: I didn't mean that...I just said it.

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Marvell wrote:Besides Ozzy videos and the occasional holiday-themed horror movie (such as Manticlaus!), what employment opportunities do Differently Heighted Americans have any more?

...or the occasional drunken whoring intellectual cynic in a cable medieval fantasy show.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:23 pm

The Dry Bean should have booked this guy.

HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm

Pretty sure that guy is dead.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 pm

There could be any number of things. In a down economy, I'm guessing places with a cover charge for bands have a bit tougher go of it, and that was their main thing when business was booming. I'm sure the smoking ban hurt them some, but Monkeyshines was always far smokier, and they are still around. Who knows what the debt situation was.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Hank! yup, he's real dead.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 am

I know I'm going to come across as way too PC, but the term 'midget' is incredibly offensive. Dwarf or little person would be much more acceptable. Hiring a dwarf act to wrestle as entertainment just seems about as low as it gets as far as demeaning someone due to their physical appearance.

The term midget was invented by Barnum and Bailey to classify dwarves by how proportional their limbs were. I believe it was Roger Ebert who had some fascinating articles about it. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... Y/50429001
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:20 am

Athena wrote:I know I'm going to come across as way too PC, but the term 'midget' is incredibly offensive. Dwarf or little person would be much more acceptable. Hiring a dwarf act to wrestle as entertainment just seems about as low as it gets as far as demeaning someone due to their physical appearance.

Oh, I dunno - do they have midget strip clubs?

Err...I mean, do they have Differently Heighted Americans strip clubs?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews