MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

CHT property management engaging in trash waste

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

CHT property management engaging in trash waste

Postby webgod » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:06 am

I have been a downtown resident for a long time. I have rented from may management companies, including CHT. If you ever visited a rental unit by CHT, you would notice that all their furnished units have the same furniture.

This furniture is replaced routinely, not because the furniture is trashed, however, as a benefit to the renters.

This is where things get a bit messed up. They take perfectly fine furniture and throw it on the curb. And not a few, but a lot of furniture all over town. Normally this becomes part of Madison's "Student Recycling Program", where you walk around and find treasures on the street.

However, CHT instead removes all the cushions to the couches and chairs, and purposely slashes the furniture with knives, making them useless.

The question I have is why? Why would it be so bad if other students pick up the perfectly fine furniture you are throwing on the curb? Why if you are so against this, wouldn't you just donate this furniture to a good cause like Good Will?

Instead they seem perfectly happy turning perfectly fine furniture into trash that will fill our landfills.
webgod

Re: CHT property management engaging in trash waste

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:15 am

Some furniture is deliberately slashed to prevent people from taking bedbug infested items.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:27 am

I'm guessing Bwis is correct about the bedbug thing. After cht goes in and treats an apartment for bedbugs, at their cost, that a tenant probably brought in, they set the infested furniture out and the last thing they want is for another one of their tenants to grab the furniture and take it home, infesting another apartment, which cht will have to go in and treat, at their (cht's) cost, again.

I've also seen people slash open couches and chairs looking for change.

Because change comes from within.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:53 am

narcoleptish wrote:...

I've also seen people slash open couches and chairs looking for change.

Because change comes from within.

You've been chomping at the bit to work that in a thread haven't you?
c02
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe