MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Does he have the cajones to reply?

I guess you weren't a Spanish major.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 am

Sí.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:07 am

Davey is suspiciously quiet on this one. For someone as concerned about voter fraud as he claims to be you'd think a dirty trick like this would get his attention. David can you please let us know it was all just an honest mistake?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 am

fisticuffs wrote:Davey is suspiciously quiet on this one. For someone as concerned about voter fraud as he claims to be you'd think a dirty trick like this would get his attention. David can you please let us know it was all just an honest mistake?

Ol' Davey's crawled back under his bridge on this one. In any case, I wouldn't trust him to recognize honesty in others, given his inability to produce it in himself.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:31 am

fisticuffs wrote: David can you please let us know it was all just an honest mistake?

The voter fraud itself, or his claim that he cares about voter fraud?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:48 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Let's hear Blaska's spin on this latest attempt by the GOP to suppress the vote. Does he have the cajones to reply?

He's waiting for the evidence to come in. And by evidence, I mean Democrats winning in a recall election, which would prove that there is voter fraud.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:10 pm

C'mon, why has no one posted this yet? Bradblog has tracked down who looks to be responsible for the misleading AFP absentee ballots. His name is John Connors, and he was a College Republican at Marquette.

However skilled the Kochs think he is at suppressing the vote, he is not so good at keeping his web site viable. It is all 404s over at J Connors & Company. Likewise, the United Sportsmen of Wisconsin does not have the web presence you might expect from such a connected organization.

Can we all stop the dance now, right, middle, or left? Is there anyone left who believes this is all on the up and up, nothing underhanded going on, all honest mistakes, even if somehow legal?

Is this something to be proud of, and I just don't get it? Please, tell us if this makes you a proud supporter of the KochGOP.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, at least Rolling Stone cares. Here is a brand new article detailing how KochGOP is trying to suppress voting. I know this is the Local Politics section, but this is correlated to my previous post in this thread, and the KochGOP efforts in Wisconsin are mentioned in the article.

"I don't want everybody to vote," the influential conservative activist Paul Weyrich told a gathering of evangelical leaders in 1980. "As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

I had heard the quote before, but I didn't know that much about Paul Weyrich. Not only did he found the Heritage Foundation, and not only did he found ALEC, but he is from fricken Racine, and he attended UW. However, strangely enough, he was also a big supporter of rail transit, specifically light rail and streetcars for metro areas. Lucky for Scott Walker that Weyrich died in 2008, as things might have gotten awkward when they crossed paths at the Legion of Doom headquarters.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

Finally, a brave patriot outlines the right's policies on voting. His name is Matthew Vadum, and he writes for the American Thinker:

Registering [welfare recipients] to vote is like handing out burglary tools to criminals. It is profoundly antisocial and un-American to empower the nonproductive segments of the population to destroy the country -- which is precisely why Barack Obama zealously supports registering welfare recipients to vote.

Personally, I don't think anyone with the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter should be able to vote, but phrenology hasn't come back in vogue like poll taxes. Yet.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:44 pm

acereraser wrote:Finally, a brave patriot outlines the right's policies on voting. His name is Matthew Vadum, and he writes for the American Thinker:

Registering [welfare recipients] to vote is like handing out burglary tools to criminals. It is profoundly antisocial and un-American to empower the nonproductive segments of the population to destroy the country -- which is precisely why Barack Obama zealously supports registering welfare recipients to vote.

Personally, I don't think anyone with the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter should be able to vote, but phrenology hasn't come back in vogue like poll taxes. Yet.

Coming soon to a voting booth near you:
"You must hate Amerikkka this much to enter".

So-called liberal Sen. Durbin is on the case! According to this, it sounds like he will be looking at 'both sides' of the issue.

On the pro-voter-ID side: "There may or may not be a grand jury document from 1984 showing evidence of voter fraud".
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:33 pm

I've got it!

If you have proper ID, your vote counts in full.

If you don't, it counts as 3/5 of a vote.

This is so clever it can't be original....hmmm.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:I've got it!

If you have proper ID, your vote counts in full.

If you don't, it counts as 3/5 of a vote.

This is so clever it can't be original....hmmm.

It's not. But why would you care about originality while marching in step with those who think for you?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Dangerousman wrote: It's not. But why would you care about originality while marching in step with those who think for you?
...says the cat who can't live w/o repeating the false mantras of the NRA Manifesto every chance he gets.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:00 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: It's not. But why would you care about originality while marching in step with those who think for you?
...says the cat who can't live w/o repeating the false mantras of the NRA Manifesto every chance he gets.

That wouldn't be funnier coming from anyone but you.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Dangerousman wrote: That wouldn't be funnier coming from anyone but you.

That's why I smoke Dangler Cigars: they heat up fast for no reason, lots of smoke, but with mysteriously little substance to catch on fire.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government