MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:50 am

jonnygothispen wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: That wouldn't be funnier coming from anyone but you.

That's why I smoke Dangler Cigars: they heat up fast for no reason, lots of smoke, but with mysteriously little substance to catch on fire.

Is that the best you can come up with little man? Yeah, thought so.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 am

Calling somebody else a Little Man makes you a Big Man.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 am

Nah. It's the gun.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Dangerousman wrote:some smartass comment

Getting back to the topic: are in favor of voter-ID because you have an irrational fear of voter fraud?
Or are you in favor of democracy?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:Nah. It's the gun.

I'm threatened by his obviously superior penis size.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:55 pm

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:some smartass comment

Getting back to the topic: are in favor of voter-ID because you have an irrational fear of voter fraud?
Or are you in favor of democracy?

Oh please.... Ever heard of the "false dilemma" fallacy?

In favor of democracy? As opposed to what? A soviet-type dictatorship? Well, yes, then I favor it. Compared to rule by philosopher-kings? Then no, I'll side against it along with Plato, for the same reasons he opposed it.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm

So, now that you have proven to everyone you know what a false dilemma argument is by answering with two of them, would you care to answer the simple question as to whether or not you agree with the voter ID bill or not and why?

You know, since Wisconsin isn't a soviet dictatorship or ruled by philosophical kings...
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:42 pm

c02 wrote:So, now that you have proven to everyone you know what a false dilemma argument is by answering with two of them, would you care to answer the simple question as to whether or not you agree with the voter ID bill or not and why?

You know, since Wisconsin isn't a soviet dictatorship or ruled by philosophical kings...

Maybe you ought to prove you know what a false dilemma is by identifying how you think I presented one. That ought to be amusing.

As for the voter ID bill itself, I haven't decided. Do you know anyone over the age of 18 who has no identification? Why should I care one way or the other?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Dangerousman wrote:In favor of democracy? As opposed to what? A soviet-type dictatorship? Well, yes, then I favor it. Compared to rule by philosopher-kings? Then no, I'll side against it along with Plato, for the same reasons he opposed it.

The only thing I like more than a gun enthusiast is a gun enthusiast who fancies himself a philosopher.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:05 pm

A false dilemma is simply providing an argument with two alternatives as though they are the only alternatives. Your mindful non-answer presented two alternatives, neither of which are valid to the Wisconsin Voter ID Bill.

Dangerousman wrote:Why should I care one way or the other?

Silly me. Here I thought your continued participation in this thread was because you actually had an opinion on the matter. Who'd a thunk it was really just trolling? I should have realized that without an NRA email, you had difficulty forming a thought all on your own.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:In favor of democracy? As opposed to what? A soviet-type dictatorship? Well, yes, then I favor it. Compared to rule by philosopher-kings? Then no, I'll side against it along with Plato, for the same reasons he opposed it.

The only thing I like more than a gun enthusiast is a gun enthusiast who fancies himself a philosopher.

You like me. Isn't that special?

"Fancies himself?" You're right, it wouldn't have anything to do with the undergraduate and graduate school studies in philosophy.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:35 pm

c02 wrote:A false dilemma is simply providing an argument with two alternatives as though they are the only alternatives. Your mindful non-answer presented two alternatives, neither of which are valid to the Wisconsin Voter ID Bill.

Dangerousman wrote:Why should I care one way or the other?

Silly me. Here I thought your continued participation in this thread was because you actually had an opinion on the matter. Who'd a thunk it was really just trolling? I should have realized that without an NRA email, you had difficulty forming a thought all on your own.

ha... "as though they are the only alternatives." Better read my post again and tell me where I presented something as the only two possible alternatives. By your faulty interpretation, if I asked you if you liked chocolate ice cream more than vanilla I'd be guilty of a false dilemma.

I thought Madison had a reputation as an educated town.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I thought Madison had a reputation as an educated town.

Not so long as you're around.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I thought Madison had a reputation as an educated town.
When you had this thought, was it an encouraging one? Or was it threatening? And why?

[No need for a blue book for your response, btw.]
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote:As for the voter ID bill itself, I haven't decided.
1) Do you know anyone over the age of 18 who has no identification?
2) Why should I care one way or the other?

1) I may not know them personally, but I do know there are many people who don't have ID now. According to research from 2007:
The Employment and Training Institute driver's license/voter ID study, which examined individual driver's license records and state ID files from the State of Wisconsin, found 558,000 residents (in the age groups 18-24 years, and 35 and older) likely to face problems voting under various Voter ID laws proposed in the state.

http://www4.uwm.edu/eti/2007/VoterID.htm

2) Supporters of the bill claim it will prevent 'voter fraud', but have shown no evidence that any such fraud exists. Does that bother you?
Half a million voters might be disenfranchised by this bill. Does that bother you?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government