MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby c02 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 pm

No need to re-read it and go around this circle once again. You may want to try and work your way through this sentence one more time:

You know, since Wisconsin isn't a soviet dictatorship or ruled by philosophical kings...

What with your philosophy background one would think that sentence was simple to parse through.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Dangerousman wrote:"Fancies himself?" You're right, it wouldn't have anything to do with the undergraduate and graduate school studies in philosophy.

I stand by my original statement.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:12 pm

c02 wrote:No need to re-read it and go around this circle once again. You may want to try and work your way through this sentence one more time:

You know, since Wisconsin isn't a soviet dictatorship or ruled by philosophical kings...

What with your philosophy background one would think that sentence was simple to parse through.

At some point we'll just have to agree that you're too dense to understand. Perhaps you need less CO2 and more O2.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:"Fancies himself?" You're right, it wouldn't have anything to do with the undergraduate and graduate school studies in philosophy.

I stand by my original statement.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." RWE
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Conservatism makes no poetry, breathes no prayer, has no invention; it is all memory.

-RWE
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Is your full(made-up) name Auric Dalton Gold?

Pain don't hurt.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:37 pm

The leadership of the Department of Transportation tells DMV workers not to inform people about free IDs for voting. Another way to suppress the vote among those who might not support the present administration.

An internal memo from a top Department of Transportation official instructs workers at Division of Motor Vehicles service centers not to tell members of the public that they can obtain voter identification cards free of charge -- unless they know to ask for it.

The memo, recently obtained by The Capital Times, was written by Steve Krieser and sent to all state Department of Transportation and Department of Motor Vehicles employees on July 1, the same day employees were to begin issuing photo IDs in accordance with a controversial new Voter Photo ID law adopted earlier in the year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The leadership of the Department of Transportation tells DMV workers not to inform people about free IDs for voting. Another way to suppress the vote among those who might not support the present administration.

An internal memo from a top Department of Transportation official instructs workers at Division of Motor Vehicles service centers not to tell members of the public that they can obtain voter identification cards free of charge -- unless they know to ask for it.

The memo, recently obtained by The Capital Times, was written by Steve Krieser and sent to all state Department of Transportation and Department of Motor Vehicles employees on July 1, the same day employees were to begin issuing photo IDs in accordance with a controversial new Voter Photo ID law adopted earlier in the year.
Since this comes from a 'high' official in the Walker administration, it should be more obvious to the D-mans of the whirled that this was always about voter suppression to begin with. Will WSJ put this on the front page to help Wisconites understand?

Hell no.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Neither will they publish the fact that Mike Huebsch, a highly partisan Walkerite who was formerly the head of ALEC, is in charge of the computer programs for vote tabulation in Wisconsin, not the GAB, which I think is required by state statue to be programmed by the GAB.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Source?

And does anybody know what's become of Joanne Kloppenburg's lawsuit against someone or something regarding the past supreme court election? I thought there was something in process.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:05 am

Wisconsin Citizens for Election Protection are doing quite a bit of work on this. Huebsch was the Wisconsin Chair for ALEC, apparently.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/08/31 ... planation/

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/09/07 ... ls-stolen/
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:32 pm

So...do we even bother to vote in this fucked-up state anymore?
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm starting to think the right wingers may find out the real reason why the second amendment exists.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The leadership of the Department of Transportation tells DMV workers not to inform people about [url=http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/capitol-report/article_335f59fa-d8fe-11e0-8a23-001cc4c03286.html]free IDs for voting.

The above story must be top secret, as a state employee was fired for letting other state workers know about it.

State employee fired after telling co-workers about photo ID policy
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 pm

minicat wrote:I'm starting to think the right wingers may find out the real reason why the second amendment exists.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Can you please explain what you mean by this.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government