MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Best non-downtown place to watch Badgers?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Best non-downtown place to watch Badgers?

Postby kimm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 am

I'm usually not in town for the Badger games, but will be tomorrow. Where has a good beer selection (decent micros beyond a Leinie's and a Blue Moon) and good wings, with good specials and decent tvs? Not really wanting to trek into downtown, and need to be in Fitchburg at 4:00.

Does the Great Dane have any game day specials?
kimm
Forum Addict

Re: Best non-downtown place to watch Badgers?

Postby jjoyce » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Fitchburg Dane is a decent place to watch a game. I recommend sitting upstairs in the pool hall, right along the balcony rail so you can take in the projection TV with nobody in front of you. Otherwise you might have to crane your neck to look up at a TV in the bar. They might not have any discounts, but I'm not an authority.

We've been going to the Vintage on Whitney a lot lately. Good beer, don't know about the wings.

My fave is the Village Green in downtown Middleton. Great burgers (again, no wing knowledge) and a great atmosphere, if you like old-school Wisco taverns.

Non-traditional suggestion: Quivey's stable house. Check ahead to make sure they're open, but it's typically pretty calm in there on Saturday afternoons and you can sit at the bar. Good beer selection and good food. This is my choice if you want to be in a sparsely populated joint and hold court with the bartender.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Only here would I get an oddball suggestion like Quivey's! I actually appreciate that.

I checked out Vintage's specials and they have enough to pique our interest. We started out unimpressed with Vintage brews, but they've improved a lot. I really enjoy them now. I don't quite get the same camraderie Whitney's had, but they make up for that with general better atmosphere. Here are the specials Vintage has for tomorrow:

Big Sky Burger Slider - 2.75 (single) 3.75 (double)
Slider patty topped with bacon, cheddar cheese, fried onions & our own Cattle Drive BBQ sauce.

Crispy Chicken Taco - 3.00
Soft tortilla filled with crispy chicken, rice, black beans, our Hoodoo ranch, cheese & salsa.

Kansas City Hog Wings - 4.00
Tossed in your choice of sauce: Buffalo, BBQ, or Spicy Garlic. Served with ranch or blue cheese.

Smoked Jalapeno Poppers - 3.25
Filled with cream cheese, scallions & sundried tomatoes, then beer battered and deep fried.

Championship Rings - 2.25
Onion rings beer battered by hand, then fried until golden. Served with ranch.

BBQ Pulled Pork Taco - 2.75
Soft tortilla filled with BBQ pulled pork, avocado, cilantro, queso fresco, & pickled red onions.

Chicken Fried Smoked Drummies 3.50

Dry rubbed & smoked chicken legs, chicken fried & tossed in our Cattledrive BBQ sauce.
Served on coleslaw.

Drink Specials!

Selected brews - 10.00/pitcher (game time only)

Selected "Versus" brews - 3.00/pint (Badger games only) They apparently pit a Vintage brew against another local or regional brew.
Free shot (bartenders' choice) every time the Badgers or Packers score a touchdown (must be seated at the bar during scoring touchdown).
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 am

jjoyce wrote:We've been going to the Vintage on Whitney a lot lately. Good beer, don't know about the wings.

My fave is the Village Green in downtown Middleton. Great burgers (again, no wing knowledge) and a great atmosphere, if you like old-school Wisco taverns.

Hey, those are my haunts!

No idea about the wings at the Vintage, but they were pouring a cask-conditioned red pepper ale on Thursday that was absolutely delicious - as is their pumpkin ale.

Also: the bbq pork nachos are fantastic albeit messy, and you could probably feed four people with a single order.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby okbpinwi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Babes on the west side is nice. decent food, good beer selection.
okbpinwi

Postby kimm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

I've always thought Babe's was overpriced for drinks if you don't go during happy hour and it's a little dark and dreary in there.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 pm

The Boar in Middleton

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails