MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby jman111 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Bludgeon wrote: If people who are eligible are for some cooky reason not willing to go and get one when the DOT is right there, why should that be the rest of the voter's problem?

Right there? What if it isn't right there? What if it is dozens of miles away? What if it is only open a few hours per week? What if you are bed-ridden and cannot get there? Then what?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Why is it not a good idea for these folks to get an ID?

Why should they be COMPELLED to?
Or should America cease to be a free country because you're afradi of a boogeyman?
Bludgeon wrote: One fraudulent voter erases your whole vote

SHOW ME EVIDENCE THAT FRAUDULENT VOTES ARE BEING CAST AND THAT SHOWING AN ID WOULD HAVE PREVENTED IT!!
We all keep asking yet you never provide answers.
Bludgeon wrote:.....some imaginary reason they can't get an ID?

What is imaginary about being 80 years old, confined to a nursing home, in a county with a DMV that is inconveniently located and has very limited hours, who has voted without any problem in previous elections?
You keep insisting these people don't exist. BUT YOU ARE DEMONSTRABLY WRONG!

Bludgeon wrote:Do something about the thing you know is a problem
If you KNOW this is a problem why can't you SHOW US THE EVIDENCE that this is a problem!?
Bludgeon wrote: If people who are eligible are for some cooky reason not willing to go and get one when the DOT is right there, why should that be the rest of the voter's problem?
The only one being kooky here is you, by refusing to acknowledge what is demonstrably true in favor of a belief for which no proof has been provided. That's called faith, and it has no place in American government.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:29 pm

jman111 wrote:

Right there? What if it isn't right there? What if it is dozens of miles away? What if it is only open a few hours per week? What if you are bed-ridden and cannot get there? Then what?

I think once every four years a person can manage to make a 12 mile trip to get an ID - any legitimate citizen is going to need it for a hundred other things in their life anyway.

And if you're bed ridden and can't get there there are ways to get an ID - not that you should complain about that anyway since there is a 3 to 1 chance that such a voter will be voting against the president.
Last edited by Bludgeon on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Bludgeon wrote:So... Why is it not a good idea for these folks to get an ID?

What about the many people residing in nursing homes (often with extreme mobility issues) who do not possess an unexpired ID?

And as far as assuring citizenship, a driver's license is not proof, as legal resident aliens are allowed to acquire one.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Bludgeon wrote:I think once every four years a person can manage to make a 12 mile trip to get an ID - any legitimate citizen is going to need it for a hundred other things in their life anyway.

And if you're bed ridden and can't get there there are ways to get an ID - not that you should complain about that anyway since there is a 3 to 1 chance that such a voter will be voting against the president.

Wow. What constitutes a "legitimate" citizen to you? An elderly citizen confined to an assistance facility is not a "legitimate" citizen? What "hundred other things" do they need it for? You're clearly just being argumentative now.

And what do you care who they're gonna vote for? You don't think they have a "legitimate" right to vote anyway!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
jman111 wrote:

I think once every four years a person can manage to make a 12 mile trip to get an ID - any legitimate citizen is going to need it for a hundred other things in their life anyway.

Yes, Bludgeon, dozens = 12.
That's some mighty fine calculatin' you done did there.

Your contempt for your fellow citizens is dispiriting, to say the least, but par for the course from deep-thinkers such as yourself.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:46 pm

jman111 wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:I think once every four years a person can manage to make a 12 mile trip to get an ID - any legitimate citizen is going to need it for a hundred other things in their life anyway.

Wow. What constitutes a "legitimate" citizen to you? An elderly citizen confined to an assistance facility is not a "legitimate" citizen? What "hundred other things" do they need it for? You're clearly just being argumentative now.

And what do you care who they're gonna vote for? You don't think they have a "legitimate" right to vote anyway!

Bah, idiot. Legitimate means you are legally eligible to get an ID - thus vote. All the old people I know, vote every time. I have trouble believing some Democrats aren't just using pity for the old as a distraction for the fraud.

Older voters are THE MOST RELIABLE, CONSISTENT BLOC OF VOTERS in the country. We don't have to worry about if they're going to vote or not: they will be there.

Honestly, by any measure the Voter ID law protects seniors from being manipulated by activists/organizers who are willing to take advantage of them in the last stage of their life just to get a couple hundred absentee ballots to send in for their candidate. Not only are seniors the most reliable voting bloc but outside Madison they're among the most avid supporters of the voter ID law. Because they're conservative. Those aren't the votes Democrats are worried about not getting and everybody knows it.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Bludgeon wrote:I think once every four years .
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Older voters are THE MOST RELIABLE, CONSISTENT BLOC OF VOTERS in the country. We don't have to worry about if they're going to vote or not: they will be there.

Under the old voter laws, yes. But the new barriers in place will certainly affect those who haven't been asked for an ID to vote for decades.

I'm in my sixties, but mobile, so showing my unexpired driver's license when I go to the polls will be no problem. But people like my dad, who is ninety and has extreme mobility issues, it's a different story.

I also have a current passport that I could use, even though it contains no information about where I reside. But it does prove I'm a citizen, which a driver's license does not do. Maybe they should require both.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:25 am

Wisconsin's list of DMV service centers.

Note that, for example, the DMV center in Florence County is open one day a month for six hours for ALL motor vehicle (and ID) concerns.

Note that there are three counties with no DMV center.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:27 am

ilikebeans wrote:Wisconsin's list of DMV service centers.

Note that, for example, the DMV center in Florence County is open one day a month for six hours for ALL motor vehicle (and ID) concerns.

Note that there are three counties with no DMV center.

Yeah... Like Democrats are really counting on rural Wisconsin precincts in the next coming election. Lots of retired rural seniors just itching to go vote for Democrats? I mean what are you trying to say? You can set your watch to rural seniors' voting habits. If they're in a nursing home there shouldn't be any community organizers going to mess with the comatose or near-deranged--barring that, they are doing just fine in the voting booth, as Ron Johnson can attest.

Its Madison and Milwaukee we need to worry about and that's the point of the whole law--anybody who isn't above dumping beer on an elected official's head isn't above voting "early and often". On what basis we're supposed to suppose otherwise, I cannot imagine.

What bugs me is Democrats' "outrage" about "disadvantaged seniors"--the very people who will be voting against the president--wen it's the lack of inner city fraud that will really cost them the election.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 am

B, you make no sense.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:31 am

Bludgeon wrote:anybody who isn't above dumping beer on an elected official's head isn't above voting "early and often". On what basis we're supposed to suppose otherwise, I cannot imagine.

I'm not surprised to find you can't imagine, but only a teabagger would make the jump from "I'm drunk and you're an asshole so I'll pour a beer on you" to "I would commit voter fraud as often as I can."

So, what could I infer from people who carry assault weapons to politicians speeches? Hm.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:37 am

Bludgeon wrote:
St Louis Dispatch wrote:ST. LOUIS — A voter registration worker with the group ACORN has been indicted on two felony counts of voter registration fraud.

That woman was caught, and it didn't take a multi-million-dollar voter ID requirement to do it. Fucking poor people getting paid per registration, with an economic incentive to make shit up. Now I want to blog about it! BLARGH!
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:06 am

Bludgeon wrote:
Yeah... Like Democrats are really counting on rural Wisconsin precincts in the next coming election.

Unlike you, those of us arguing against the ID law beleive that EVERYONE should be able to vote.
Bludgeon wrote: anybody who isn't above dumping beer on an elected official's head isn't above voting "early and often". On what basis we're supposed to suppose otherwise, I cannot imagine.

Still waiting for you to provide some proof -ANY proof- that people voting multiple times is a problem. WHY CAN'T YOU SHOW US PROOF IF IT'S SO OBVIOUS?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government