MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Speed of light surpassed?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Speed of light surpassed?

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Physics rule broken? Scientists say particles traveled faster than light.

If independent results duplicate this experiment, then the laws of physics will radically change (actually they won't change, just our understanding of them).

My only question: is Einstein rolling in his grave?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speed of light surpassed?

Postby indycoyote » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Well that explains why Blaska went invisible, even without the brown acid!
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby gozer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

some time ago i read an article about a substance being invented through which light can pass -- and it slowed down the light to about 50 km/h. i do not recall there being a proposed use for the stuff. hopefully this means they are close to building a time machine.

blaska has some properties that border on the paranormal or ostensibly supernatural, like how angry he can make so many different kinds of people in so little time. better he disappear than bilocate, i say.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Bu-wha-ha-HA!
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:35 pm

more 6 degrees of Blaska - love it!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I had dvr'd the Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking: Time Travel episode. I had to go back and re-watch things a few times to try and understand. This article hits a few of the highlights: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1269288/STEPHEN-HAWKING-How-build-time-machine.html
Here's his show site: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/stephen-hawking/

Hawking stated, in essence, that time travel to the past is not possible due to feedback. This and his invitation to time travelers for a party that took place 06/28/2009 that no one attended, were his only theories against.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elah3i_WiFI Contrarily, try googling "coordinates time travel party".

He did think travel to the future is possible. Future travel clears up any paradox issues, which are bizarre in the first place. An early point made but not demonstrated well, was the idea that time travels slower next to things of greater mass.

One idea for future travel was a train that circled the earth, seven times a second, getting as close to c as possible. One week equaled x amount of years.

The others involved space ships. Either circling a black hole and coming back or traveling a long way out, approaching c and coming back.

To your fine article; if someone were able to make the neutrino a carrier for data, we could send data to the future. Maybe way dude, way into the future. I think the worst part would be that they could not reply back.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:39 am

I was always faster than the speed of light in trying to reach my bathroom after the Spanish omelet at the old Cleveland's. I broke it many times. (the speed of light).
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Return to Headlines