MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Blessing in Disguise?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Blessing in Disguise?

Postby Madcity Expat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I know, I know... the alleged decline in United States influence in world affairs must be a bad thing. But is there anyone else that sees this statement as inherently positive?

The extraordinary tableau Wednesday at the United Nations underscored a stark new reality: the United States is facing the prospect of having to share, or even cede, its decades-long role as the architect of Middle East peacemaking.

From NYT: "Obama Rebuffed as US Influence Wanes"

The role of the US the "architect" of Middle East peacemaking has been the milllstone around the neck of US foreign policy for decades. Isn't it possible that the "stark new reality" of "having to share, or even cede" that role could be a good thing? That it could liberate US foreign policy from a thankless sisyphean burden?

Thoughts?
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blessing in Disguise?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:29 pm

I had the same thought you had:

About time. Things aren't going all that well with the US in the mix. Who's to say they might not do better on their own? The only real way to find out is to try, without a net, in real time. With nobody else to play referee, parent, or mediator, they might come up with solutions everyone can live with simply because they have to.

Isn't it possible that the "stark new reality" of "having to share, or even cede" that role could be a good thing? That it could liberate US foreign policy from a thankless sisyphean burden?

Yes, and yes.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:28 am

snoqueen wrote:Who's to say they might not do better on their own? The only real way to find out is to try, without a net, in real time. With nobody else to play referee, parent, or mediator, they might come up with solutions everyone can live with simply because they have to.

Wow, you sound like a conservative.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:01 am

bdog wrote:Wow, you sound like a conservative.

Kinda reveals the problem with pigeonholing people as "conservatives", "liberals" or otherwise, huh? Very seldom is it that simple.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 am

jman111 wrote:
bdog wrote:Wow, you sound like a conservative.

Kinda reveals the problem with pigeonholing people as "conservatives", "liberals" or otherwise, huh? Very seldom is it that simple.

Amen.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:54 am

All fair enough, but in general I believe in these times, you'll find the conservative wing to be more preoccupied with controlling international relations (including warmaking) while the left wing is more concerned with quality-of-life internal issues and maintaining a social safety net within our own borders.

And it's quite a reach from letting Israel and Palestine figure out where their mutual boundary lies, and kicking old American guys off social security and letting them figure out where to get lunch, or where to sleep. It gets really hard to imagine what kind of world you people want to create for your fellow citizens, or to guess whether you've even thought it through adequately.

When I heard Ron Paul say in the old days churches would pick up people's medical bills as if that was a realistic solution today, I knew we were in deep denial-land. Most churches today are having trouble keeping the heat on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 am

snoqueen wrote:And it's quite a reach from letting Israel and Palestine figure out where their mutual boundary lies, and kicking old American guys off social security and letting them figure out where to get lunch, or where to sleep. It gets really hard to imagine what kind of world you people want to create for your fellow citizens, or to guess whether you've even thought it through adequately.

I don't think you've thought it thru adequately either. Despite all your good intentions, someone has to pay for it.

As for your old guy scenario, I propose the Waltons solution: more old people need to live with their kids. Solves the daycare problem too.

Smart solutions not hard ones.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 am

I thought you might propose the Eskimo solution and set the elderly adrift on an ice berg.

Many families do take in their elderly parents. But many elderly have health/medical needs that families cannot provide for.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 am

And what of the elderly without families?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I thought you might propose the Eskimo solution and set the elderly adrift on an ice berg.

Many families do take in their elderly parents. But many elderly have health/medical needs that families cannot provide for.

Sure but it's not as common as it was in the past. Start with the Waltons approach and then have the social safety net kick in for additional needs or for those elderly without families.

The elderly have been sold on this whole independent living idea when in reality even if they live on their own they are not independent at all.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 am

jman111 wrote:And what of the elderly without families?

Let them die, of course. Obviously, the lack of family indicates a failure to create sustainable relationships, and failures in America should pay for their inadequacies with death.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 am

Oooohhhh, protect the family creators.
I see a pattern here.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:28 am

jman111 wrote:Oooohhhh, protect the family creators.
I see a pattern here.

I just wish some conservatives would display absolute purity of ideology, and decide that pot field creators deserve protection, too.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 am

A-fucking-MEN!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am

jman111 wrote:Oooohhhh, protect the family creators.
I see a pattern here.

We already do that and there is very little questioning of it.

As a single person I would love to see the pregnancy leaves shit-canned and everyone gets X weeks off to do with as they see fit.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines