MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Unfortunate Cap Times headline of a Park St. shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Unfortunate Cap Times headline of a Park St. shooting

Postby jjoyce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:10 pm

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 03286.html

This story specifically states:

Police have not determined if the three victims were at the tavern before the shooting.

But that doesn't stop them from putting the name of said tavern in the headline.

Know what else it's near? Madison Cash Express.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unfortunate Cap Times headline of a Park St. shooting

Postby eriedasch » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:40 pm

I wonder who they are going to blame for violence and shooting on or near Park ST. if/when R Place is shut down?

Or maybe all crime will just disappear? Because there was never ever any crime or violence on or near Park St. before R Place opened, right?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:44 pm

I guess "Three hospitalized in shooting near National Pedorthic Services on Park" just didn't... sing.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:24 am

A Dane county judge ruled on Friday evening that the owner of R Place on Park is prohibited from opening or operating his business for at least five days until a hearing takes place.

Police said the main target of the shooting, which injured three men, was a former bar employee.

The suspect remains on the loose, police said.

At a meeting set for Wednesday, the city's Alcohol License and Review Committee will debate if the bar should lose its liquor license. The committee is currently reviewing at least 15 incidents reported at the bar.

"Those 15 counts span 2009 and 2010 disturbances, and that sort of thing that are alleged to have happened at the bar,” said Verveer. "Again, the bar does not deny that any of those things actually happened."

Link

Of course, liberals on this forum will be quick to place all the blame on "guns" while insisting that this bar with a long history of violence shouldn't be held responsible at all.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:36 am

Peanutbutter wrote:Of course, liberals on this forum will be quick to place all the blame on "guns" while insisting that this bar with a long history of violence shouldn't be held responsible at all.

Guns don't kill people, bars kill people.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:41 am

And no indication at all that the bar had any involvement in the shooting. (A former employee of the bar? Where did the rest of them formerly work?)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Of course, liberals on this forum will be quick to place all the blame on "guns" while insisting that this bar with a long history of violence shouldn't be held responsible at all.

This is a stupid comment. Why not let the "liberals" speak up before assuming you know what they'll say?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mocofirst » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_3b66334e-e5d3-11e0-b4e8-001cc4c03286.html

This story specifically states:

Police have not determined if the three victims were at the tavern before the shooting.

But that doesn't stop them from putting the name of said tavern in the headline.

Know what else it's near? Madison Cash Express.

from WSJ: Madison South District Capt. Joe Balles said Judge Patrick Fiedler issued the order to close R Place on Park, 1821 S. Park St., after the former employee and two other men were injured in a shooting around 2:20 a.m. Friday. Police said the three men were attacked after leaving the bar, which was supposed to have been closed.

Did the bar create the violence? no. but there's no reason the city should provide a liquor license to a place obviously attracts a dangerous element.
mocofirst

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:10 pm

I think AT&T should shoulder some of the blame here.

What did they think would happen as a result of their "more bars in more places" campaign?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Come on, Jason. Sure, Blaska will trot this out as evidence we need to give Kaleem Caire a shitload of public money in his next bout of public dysentery. But it's disingenuous to say there's no connection between the bar and the shooting, which took place outside the bar, as the victims left the bar, one of whom used to work at the bar.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:16 pm

jjoyce wrote:Know what else it's near? Madison Cash Express.

I don't think they stay open until bar time.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Maybe every once in a while Madison police actually know what they are doing. Maybe we could dispense with the inference that they are Klan nightriders disguised in blue. Could we try that on for size now that Bill Lueders has left the building?
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I said it regarding Wiggie's and I'll say it again for R Place: if people in the neighborhood are upset, concerned, and endangered repeatedly by activity around a bar, the police are expected to work with that bar to implement solutions. If the situation does not improve, they're justified in asking for it to be shut down temporarily until ALRC or some other entity makes a decision. It's not like the bar owners don't get plenty of warning and plenty of chances to clean up their operations.

The same thing was happening on Atwood at the bar where Stalzy's is now located. I can tell you people nearby are a lot happier with Stalzy's in that building. I'd assume the same is true for Wiggie's though I don't know its neighbors personally.

The police are supposed to help keep the peace in Madison, and this is part of that responsibility.

On the other hand, a bar was shut down near Fordem Avenue (can't think of its name) in the last couple years and we still have shootings around Fordem Avenue, including a recent fatality. So shutting down bars isn't a perfect solution to clusters of bar-time problems. But if a neighborhood was peaceful until a bar opened or until a neighborhood bar went bad, that neighborhood deserves relief.

Of course, there's always University Avenue/State Street bar time which is a whole nother animal. Fortunately, we don't have assassiation attempts outside of Wando's at this time. I think if that started happening, you'd see Wando's treated the same as R Place.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 pm

A Place For Friends on Sherman Ave got shut down after neighbor complaints and the camel backbreaking straw was the guy who got beaten and pistol-whipped inside. They didn't call and we found out when the victim showed up at the hospital bleeding all over from a massive head laceration. When we went to the bar to investigate, if I recall correctly, staff locked the doors and refused to open them for quite some time and then when they did, we found blood all over the upstairs even after a crappy clean up job and got "nothing happened here" answers. ORLY?

The recent homicide on Fordem had nothing to do with a bar. It was a robbery set up that happened in the farthest back parking lot behind an apartment building. The lure: "We came over to meet some bitches" is what one of the guys told me.

The other Fordem shooting was in a parking lot at Webcrafters when one of their employees, the target, was on a break and it was gang related.

There have been no more calls about Wiggies since they've been closing in the evening.

I do find it amusing how allegations are made the police are targeting bars that are black owned or patronized. We are responding to repeated calls to them involving weapons, sometimes gunfire, and large scale fights. They are not a couple of guys squaring off type fights; they are fights involving 20, 30, 50, or even 100 plus if anyone recalls the Majestic at it's low point. The worst I went to at the Majestic was 200 people fighting inside with bar stools, bottles, and knives. I would like to point out at bar time our staffing is 28 officers for the entire city.

The nature of the calls is behavior, not skin color. The revocation of licenses is because the calls do not stop. A liquor license is not a right, it is a privilege granted by the City that can be taken away with cause. The ALRC holds public proceedings before licenses are taken or conditions put on them. These are not actions taken in secret.

Weekend recap:

Targeted victim shooting at R Place with an AK-47 caliber rifle (7.62mm x 39mm cartridge) on Thursday night into Friday morning.

Targeted victim shooting at New Towne Pub on Gammon with 40 to 50 casings found in 5 different calibers (7.62 x 39, 9mm, .45, .22, and .38) on Friday night into Saturday morning. New Towne Pub has been generating large fight calls in the last year as well.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you, Walter, for your good service.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines