MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison needs to get serious about supporting local music

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Madison needs to get serious about supporting local musi

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Ahh, the ol' bait-n-switch. :)
I know it's only a buck, but the door guy should've conceded.

I'll be honest, twice I've called 'em on advertised covers (different bars). Both times I got in for the cheaper (advertised) price and both times they got a drink chip.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:You don't have to make a similar joint very fancy at all. Just rooms with lighting and electricity. Musicians might back me up on this, but if you make it too nice, you'd probably just repel the element that's most likely to form a kick-ass band.

How about that old Fyfe's building? Is that still vacant?

I'm freshly back from a tour and we played a place like this in Chattanooga. It was a real run-down building, but a bunch of artists and musicians put some serious time and effort and built a bunch of rehearsal/recording/art studios. It's a shame we played there for they're last bash, as they'd been shut down by the city. I'd love to have a place like that in Madison.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:How about that old Fyfe's building? Is that still vacant?

Vacant and owned by the Mullins Group. They would drive a hard bargain for rent. The Mullins family owns many empty buildings along the E. Wash corridor and they are willing to sit on them until further development occurs when the economy turns around.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:How about that old Fyfe's building? Is that still vacant?

Vacant and owned by the Mullins Group. They would drive a hard bargain for rent. The Mullins family owns many empty buildings along the E. Wash corridor and they are willing to sit on them until further development occurs when the economy turns around.

I figured as much. So much wasted space on E. Wash.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:I figured as much. So much wasted space on E. Wash.

Mostly at 501 E. Wash
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 pm

jman111 wrote:Ahh, the ol' bait-n-switch. :)
I know it's only a buck, but the door guy should've conceded.

I'll be honest, twice I've called 'em on advertised covers (different bars). Both times I got in for the cheaper (advertised) price and both times they got a drink chip.

Yep, he totally should have let them in. That was shortsighted. But it says something about live music that seeing the show or not seeing the show came down to one dollar.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Perhaps Memorial Union or Union South could be convinced to have a semester-long local music series. Checking their schedule for a month, there are a few local acts, but it's pretty sparse. Of course, they like to bring in touring acts as well, which makes sense.

It might be a long shot, but maybe getting a few students to become fans of the locals might get them to venture to the other venues in town. Or not. The Frequency and High Noon are still a loooong way from the dorms.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:But it says something about live music that seeing the show or not seeing the show came down to one dollar.

My guess is that it was more about the principle of honoring an advertised price and less about the dollar.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SimonBonadventure » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 am

If I were to form a band I would start the rumor that we were from Brooklyn, Georgia, or California or something. Then people would think we were super hip. I bet you we would really pack them in when we played the cool near east side clubs.

No one wants to hear a band from Madison, Wisconsin. It just sounds lame when you say "Hi we're from Madison Wisconsin!" But if you say "Hi we're from Bumfuck Tennessee!" those college kids and sophisticated aging hipsters from the Isthmus just automatically assume that your really cool.
SimonBonadventure

Postby Darwin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I'll keep this short as possible as it's delivery day.

I'd LOVE a tax credit or some form of break for doing live music. I think before the city gets to that point they could look at giving business owners (live music or not) some kind of parking permit or pass. I've paid thousands of dollars of ridiculous tickets, that alone would keep me happy. But I digress, this is about the music business.

The Frequency has been 18+ for over a year now. We have seen very little bump from having the license (there are exceptions and we have had some sizeable 18-20 year old crowds). What I hear from most younger students is that it's "too far to walk". Also, why does a student walk to a venue to see a local band they don't know? This is the issue that has vexed this scene for a long while, cyclical and turnover-prone as it is.

I also don't see a boatload of regular, music-loving fans coming in to check out who is playing. This has always perplexed me, especially with no cover at the front door a majority of nights here.

Mutliple scenes exist here, and they appear mostly disconnected from each other. I am saddened every time I speak to artists I consider leaders in their genre and they haven't the slightest clue about other amazing artists in other genres. It seems myopic and clique driven at times, for whatever that's worth. One thing the article touched on aptly was collaboration between artists. It'd create a greater awareness amongst artists, and we would all benefit by getting some great new music.

The city could do a lot more, but with the current political climate I think the music industry and it's development will continue to take a back seat. This is truly unfortunate.

There are many music superfans here, and without their support Madison would be a lonely town for live music. I appreciate a lot of things about Madison's music scene and hope it continues to grow and find itself.
Darwin

Postby markkay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:07 am

Walter wrote:I'm just going to tie an onion to my belt....

Does anybody know the origin of this saying? Yes, I know it was Grandpa Simpson, but did the Simpsons writers make it up whole cloth, or were they actually referring to an old saying or custom or anything? Just curious. Apolgies for going off topic.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:22 pm

I note in a recent interview Ms. Z. Jesus basically says we're terrible and don't support her.

Huh. I think she's just bitter that all the press coverage here has shifted to Justin Vernon's cabin.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:05 am

Marc Eisen wrote:Madison can be a self-satisfied little burg, insular if not downright smug. Often, because of its liberal sensibility, our town is suspicious if somebody tries too hard to make a buck. This spills over into how the arts are treated — typically as a charity case, but also as a "public good" (in economist speak) that people expect to be offered up free like the schools, the parks, the Rhythm & Booms fireworks display and the music stages at summer festivals. Make money at music? That's suspect.

This hits it on the head.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Nick Berigan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 am

I think what's "insular and smug" is defining the music scene that represents Madison's brand as a bunch of venues within the city limits that offer music to a combination transient/tourist clientele. That, from what I can tell, is the only thing Eisen spoke to in his article.

And the statement that we are "often...if someone tries too hard to make a buck" is just lazy button pushing.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music