MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Green tomatoes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Green tomatoes

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:42 pm

What to do with them? It looks like I'll have almost a bushel.

Fried green tomatoes don't interest me. I've thought of trying to pickle them, using a simple dilly bean recipe. Other ideas?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Green tomatoes

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Compost.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:47 pm

rabble wrote:Compost.
Tried that. No more satisfying to the palate than compote.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:23 am

fennel wrote:Other ideas?

This is absolutely delicious. It's a great (and easy) way to use up green tomatoes.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 am

Fennel, pull your tomatoes off the vine, wrap each one individually in newspaper, and store them in layers in a box in a dark place in your kitchen. Check them about once a week. Gradually they will ripen but will not rot. You will have fresh tomatoes from your garden until Thanksgiving. I'm going to pull all mine from my garden in the next couple of weeks.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

Fried Green tomatoes are wonderful.

One of my favorite things to eat.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby juice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:40 am

I tried a recipe in a Carribean cookbook, rented from the downtown library, for green tomato jelly. It was interesting, probably not something I'd make pounds of though. Can't recall the name of the book.
juice

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 am

I'm going to try that newspaper trick. As it turns out, I got a large flush of ripe ones when the unexpected warm weather hit – well over a bushel. But I'll still have a few green ones left to swaddle.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 am

fennel wrote:As it turns out, I got a large flush of ripe ones when the unexpected warm weather hit

Me too! I just picked the last of my ripe and green tomatoes earlier this week. Yesterday I got about 20 small to medium peppers before the cold night. Made some homemade enchiladas last night. Yum!

I've been doing the newspaper thing for quite a few years. It really helps extend my tomato season. I hate buying those tasteless things in the grocery store they call tomatoes.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:20 am

You don't really need to wrap them. Just let them sit somewhere & they'll ripen. I used to bag them, then found I only needed to spread them out in the basement, but now that I don't grow so many I just leave them on the kitchen counter.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Problem with table-ripening is that it doesn't do much beyond change the color and texture - they're never going to get particualrly sweeter or jucier without a good ol' plant metabolizing things behind the scenes, providing more sugars and water to the fruit itself. You might get a little change in flavor profile as certian chemicals break down or change with the color, but for the most part, you're not getting all the same processes as vine-ripening.

It makes 'em edible, though, so it works for all those tomatoes you have to bring in before the first frost.

That said: green tomato kimchi. Yes.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:53 pm

peripat wrote:You don't really need to wrap them.

I don't wrap them so they will ripen, I wrap them so they don't rot the ones next to them if they go too long. You know the saying: One bad apple spoils a whole bunch? It applies to tomatoes too.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DaphneT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 am

put the green tomato with a ripe banana and wrap in paper. it will ripe faster... something i read but haven try out...
DaphneT

Postby rrnate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 am

fennel wrote:Fried green tomatoes don't interest me.

I think we need to explore this more - fried green tomatoes can be pretty dang delicious. You might want to try them as a component of a larger dish, like in a sandwich or gumbo, which can be really awesome. (They're also really, really good with fried eggs.)

Also, you can make a delicious spaghetti sauce out of them by first grilling 'em till the skins come off and then sauteing with other veggies. Or, give them to me and I will eat them in the ways described above.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:53 am

My wife made a tasty green tomato spice cake over the weekend. Not sure where she got the recipe, but I guess that's why they invented the Google...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues