MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

4S, anyone?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: 4S, anyone?

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Ducatista wrote:
jjoyce wrote:So what's the advantage of an iPhone over an Android at this point?

Camera, I think, dunno what else.

My Droid has a camera.

Can you really buy a smart phone without a camera?

I wanted an iPhone but I needed a new phone 3 weeks before the 3 was coming out so I went Droid. No regrets. They're REALLY similar. Except mine runs Flash. And it's GPS ties into google maps for a really nice free navigation thing. Google Eyes (or whatever it's called) is pretty cool too. Does the iPhone have something like that?
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm

They're REALLY similar. Except mine runs Flash. And it's GPS ties into google maps for a really nice free navigation thing.

the Google integration I really like but then again my whole house is Mac so I'm pretty well integrated their on a level I couldn't be with a Droid. I don't miss Flash but I am curious. How does it effect your battery life?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:18 pm

dave esmond wrote:My Droid has a camera.

You're kidding, right?

The iPhone 4S camera is one of the big upgrades—and the old 4 camera was no slouch. Yeah, Droids have 8MP cameras, but the new Apple shooter has some still and HD video features that reportedly up the ante.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
They're REALLY similar. Except mine runs Flash. And it's GPS ties into google maps for a really nice free navigation thing.

the Google integration I really like but then again my whole house is Mac so I'm pretty well integrated their on a level I couldn't be with a Droid. I don't miss Flash but I am curious. How does it effect your battery life?

Mine's pretty new so battery life is the same as my friends iPhones. Older Droids did have some battery life issues I hear. But so did older iPhones. There's a few websites I use that have Flash content so I like having it.

I'm Mac too and it's easy to manage the Droid with a Mac. It's just not as integrated as iTunes. That's a plus or minus depending on the user I'd guess.

A few more things. Mine (Motorla Global, I think is the name) has a physical keyboard. If you text that might be nice. I don't so I haven't even removed the plastic on the KB. Lot's of Droids use SD cards so you're not limited by the internal storage. I was told mine's easy to switch so it can be used anywhere in the world. I think that's one of the things the 4s adds too.

Depending on what's important to any particular user I can't see how anyone would be let done by either a Droid or iPhone as long as you get the one with the features important to you.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:32 pm

The battery issue is there no matter which Android you have. It is "doing more" at all times, so unless they've put in a 3-4x more powerful battery, it will not have the same battery life as an iPhone where what is allowed to run in the background is extremely restricted.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Ducatista wrote:
dave esmond wrote:My Droid has a camera.

You're kidding, right?

No.

I've had a camera on every phone I've bought for years. Seriously who makes a smartphone without a camera?

The iPhone 4S camera is one of the big upgrades—and the old 4 camera was no slouch. Yeah, Droids have 8MP cameras, but the new Apple shooter has some still and HD video features that reportedly up the ante.

The camera on mine is the exact same specs as the old 4. So yeah the 4s would be an upgrade. But honestly I don't use a phone camera for anything serious.

The iPhone has a front facing camera tho' doesn't it? So if you want to do the video chat thing the iPhone is the way to go.

The Droid also plays AAC, AAC+, MP3, H.263, H.264, WMA10, MPEG-4, MIDI, and AMR NB music and video codecs.

Some of 'em even have hdmi outputs.

I'm not basing the iPhone. They're great. It's all down to what features you like/need.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:39 pm

TAsunder wrote:The battery issue is there no matter which Android you have. It is "doing more" at all times, so unless they've put in a 3-4x more powerful battery, it will not have the same battery life as an iPhone where what is allowed to run in the background is extremely restricted.

Just basing it on how often we need to plug 'em in. I certainly don't have to charge mine 3-4 times as often as the people I know with iPhones. The newest version of the OS does a much better job at restricting what's going on in the background. And there were always apps to let you manage that if you wanted.

I've used both. At this point it's down to features fro me. They're both pretty darn good at what they do.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:58 pm

I thought the Androids were supposed to have a greater variety of free apps. If this is true, does it really make any difference to you as a user?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:I thought the Androids were supposed to have a greater variety of free apps. If this is true, does it really make any difference to you as a user?

It makes a difference in that you have to wade thru a bunch of crappy apps. Sure there's a lot of free ones but most are junk. As a bicycle race fan I have found some cool procycling apps that aren't the iPhone. The android marketplace seems to kinda be a bit eurocentric that way.

Point to Apple for weeding out the junk.

Most anything you'd actually want to use is available on both. The extra free stuff on the android is for the most part a "you get what you pay for" situation.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

dave esmond wrote:No.

I've had a camera on every phone I've bought for years. Seriously who makes a smartphone without a camera?

Right, that was my point. jjoyce asked what might be an iPhone-over-Droid advantage. The improved iPhone 4S camera is one, not the fact that the iPhone has a camera. (I may sound thick at times, but "it has a camera!" thick? Come on.)

(Oh fer the christ, I was so irritated by your "seriously" that I had to edit twice. Yeah, I'm blaming you for my editing issues. What?)
Last edited by Ducatista on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:48 pm

I apologize in advance for how long this post wound up being. I got a bit carried away.

I've been using an Evo 4G since it was released, prior to that I had a couple different Blackberries.

I'm pretty much as close to being completely platform agnostic as a person can be. I use whatever hardware and OS fits the job, both at home and at work. My personal and business day-to-day interaction with computers covers both PCs and Macs as well as a couple of flavors of *nix.

I originally saw Android as the holy grail of device OSs - an open-source panacea supported by the union of the benevolent giant (Google) and a constellation of smaller device manufacturers that were free to adopt any aspect of the OS and meld it as they saw fit due to liberal licensing.

In reality, what's come to pass is a sea of different bits of hardware and a mess of different software revisions - each one a different moving target for the poor developers that are trying to write apps for the platform. Pair that with each hardware manufacturer wanting to brand their phones with their own unique layer of UI that's often updated only months after the underlying OS has seen a bump (or sometimes contains it's own security backdoors) and you've got an experience that's often less than desirable. (The nerd shorthand for this is "platform fragmentation".)

My answer for this with my Evo has been to root the device and run only custom builds of the OS. Even then, it's a suboptimal solution as there's a learning curve and an ongoing investment in your personal time to follow development trends and sift through the notoriously low s/n ratio forums at xda or ppcgeeks to keep abreast of updates and bugfixes.

And of course, even once you've done all that, there's the app ecosystem. The bonus to Android is that there's a gazillion free apps. The problem with Android is that there's a gazillion free apps.

Android users, for the most part, don't expect to pay for anything. Naturally, this is a bit stifling for professional developers that are hoping to write quality applications and also find themselves compensated for their efforts. I've come across a few different cases where a dev's webpage will mention how they've abandoned support for the Android build of their app because it's simply not ever going to be worth the effort. (TouchOSC being the first that initially comes to mind.)

Some people might see the inclusion of Flash on Android to be a bonus, but I have to disagree. Flash is a horrible, battery-sucking turd that kills performance and at this point should be considered as beneficial to a website as geocities hosting. The sooner people drop support for that mess, the sooner we can move along and into the future.

But at least Android doesn't make you use fscking iTunes to register/activate/backup/load their devices.

How's the iPhone stack up?

Well, it's got an extremely limited number of targets for developers. There's a limited number of resolution/cpu/memory configurations. It's much easier to ensure performance and proper aspect ratio as a result. The iPhone 4S even simplifies this further by having one single model work on every single carrier due to it's quad-band Qualcomm Gobi radio. It doesn't get much better than that.

iOS is iOS is iOS. If a hardware platform can support iOS4, it'll support every version of it. It won't suddenly be abandoned at a decimal revision of the OS, or left rev-locked because the manufacturer didn't feel like supporting a year-old handset because they've launched 22 phones across four carriers in the past six months.

On top of that, people are used to the idea of paying for apps on iOS. Not a lot. Sometimes they're even free - but professional developers can put their time into doing quality work on an application and hope to some day recoup some earnings from it.

And of course, iOS5 will allow you to activate and configure devices without the need for a computer.

I'm halfway sold on picking up a 4S at this point. The real clincher for me was buying an iPad2 a few months ago. Having the unified ecosystem of an iPad2 with a MacBook Pro and an iPhone really appeals to me, especially if iCloud lives up to it's hype. (I'm currently using google's cloud to sync all of my email and contacts.)

Oh, I guess I also enjoy the build quality of the devices.

I've rambled enough for now.
Last edited by Petro on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Ducatista wrote:Right, that was my point. jjoyce asked what might be an iPhone-over-Droid advantage. The improved iPhone 4S is one, not the fact that the iPhone has a camera. (I may sound thick at times, but "it has a camera!" thick? Come on.)

Exactly. Not all 8MP sensors are created equal. Apple's done a large amount of work to make the current (rumored to be a Sony EXMOR CMOS) sensor and it's associated lenses and software shoot photos that are significantly superior to anything you'd find in another phone - especially in low-light conditions. They claim it's on par with most standalone point and shoot cameras, and I'd beg to differ (there's only so much you can do with such a small sensor) - but it's far and away better than anything I've ever seen in a phone.

I shoot a lot of pictures with my phone and immediately upload them to flickr or various social media dumps, so that's another consideration for me.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Ducatista wrote:
dave esmond wrote:No.

Right, that was my point. jjoyce asked what might be an iPhone-over-Droid advantage. The improved iPhone 4S is one, not the fact that the iPhone has a camera. (I may sound thick at times, but "it has a camera!" thick? Come on.)

Sorry. I'm the thick one then. I thought you were saying the fact that it had a camera at all was the difference. Color me dumb.

Still I'm not convinced it's all that big of a deal. As a semipro photographer I know what makes the most difference is the lens and the sensor. No phone with it's tiny lens and sensor is ever gonna match up to even a $100 point and shoot no matter what logo is on it.

As others have said it really depends on what android phone you're talking about also. The Droid Bionic has an 8MP camera with 1080p video for instance. And it looks like a lot of the new android phones are gonna have the same thing. I'd expect the same goes for any iPhones from now on. If you want that TODAY you're looking at a Droid. A week or so from now the iPhone will have caught up.

Stuff like this changes every time there's a new phone so I don't get too worked up about it. Today Droid is ahead, tomorrow the iPhone is. One thing we know is there's gonna be a lot of new Droid phones between the time the 4s and 5 come out so I expect some models of Droids will jump ahead sometime in there.

But I still wouldn't phone from anyone based on the camera.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Ducatista wrote:)

(Oh fer the christ, I was so irritated by your "seriously" that I had to edit twice. Yeah, I'm blaming you for my editing issues. What?)

Seriously. Sorry.

If I knew who you were I'd buy you a drink to make up for it.

Seriously.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:29 pm

dave esmond wrote:If I knew who you were I'd buy you a drink to make up for it.

Seriously.

Masterful post, Mr esmond. I'm as mollified as if you'd bought me that drink. (seriously)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games