MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Speeding Ticket

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Re: Speeding Ticket

Postby jman111 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 pm

But I genuinely wonder about the specifics.
If the initial speeding "charge" held a 4 pt demerit, what was the reduction that resulted in zero points? Did it involve "amending" to a municipal citation from a state ticket? Was it changed from "exceeding posted speed limits" to some other charge (too fast for conditions, imprudent speed, etc)?

In my experience, when a reduction is given by the judge, it usually involves a simple reduction to the next lowest "exceeding" speed range (e.g. reduced from 11-19mph in excess to 6-10mph in excess).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 am

"Pull that off" implies that I did anything to help the situation, which was not the case. Upon advice of several people, I showed up at traffic court. The judge read through all the charges for all 150 or so people, of which about 30 showed up. (Number of cases was high due to Labor Day falling on one of the traditional Traffic Court dates). The judge instructed everyone to plead not guilty if they were looking to cut a deal with the prosecuting attorney.

At that point, there was a delay while they waited for an interpreter for three defendants who could not speak English. After 5-10 minutes, the interpreter was there, and 2 of the three defendants chose the option to go upstairs and look into counsel, while the other plead guilty. After that, the judge and clerks left the courtroom.

The prosecuting attorney went through the citations in a fairly random fashion, based on which citation was at the top of his stack of papers. Most of the discussions were fairly quiet; seemingly, the most embarrassing ones were louder. Lots of them seemed to be for driving after revocation.

After the attorney had gone through all the citations in his "to do" stack, it was only the two of us left in the courtroom. He looked back at me and asked what my name was. After I told him, he was unable to find the citation in his paperwork. At about the same time, someone came in and asked him where people should be waiting for family court.

I sat down with him and indicated that I had a copy of my citation with me. He looked though his booklet and said "how do you feel about 'Interfering with a sign' - it is $170 and 0 points". "That would be fine" was the obvious response. It was unclear how much he was bargaining on the other tickets, but it was pretty obvious that the combination of them losing my paperwork and his need to get to another appointment made a difference.

So, in summary, I guess I would just recommend that if you are heading to the Fox Valley or points north, just take US 151 all they way to Fond Du Lac, and avoid STH 26 entirely.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:59 am

Makes you wonder what would have happened if you hadn't shown up and hadn't paid the ticket by mail -- maybe the whole thing would have vanished down some bureaucratic black hole.

Glad it came out well, though. Lesson learned (whatever you decide the lesson was).

The driving after revocation thing is plain disturbing. Revoked for what? Drunk driving? A zillion speeding tickets? How many totally irresponsible people are out here driving among us every day? Plenty, it seems.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twigz2011 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:53 am

$170.00??? Sounds pretty steep to me. It's been a while since I got a speeding ticket. I'm sure it varies but what is the going rate for a speeding ticket these days?
Twigz2011

Postby Igor » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 am

The speeding fine for 16 MPH over was going to be $200.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun May 11, 2014 11:35 am

Well, since this thread just popped up for some reason.....I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 1986. Pretty cool, since I technically qualified to get one every day since then. Except for the days here and there that I did not drive.

Every now and then, crime takes a holiday.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 24, 2014 10:56 am

I've had a driver's license for fifty years. Never got a ticket (except for parking violations), although I've had a few warnings over the years.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel