MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The ARROGANCE of running red and yellow lights!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

The ARROGANCE of running red and yellow lights!

Postby leonids » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:37 am

Hey drivers of 2000+ pound vehicles! Running red lights is absolutely the MOST arrogant thing you do!

To think "I am so important I don't have to stop, yield or humble myself to anyone else in the world." My dentist appointment, my job, my life is too important to make any room for anyone else that might be going somewhere. Please use the brakes in your car and in your head.

Is it too much to ask that my life is not worth the 3 minutes you might have to wait????

I see it every morning. The epitomy of rude!
leonids

Re: The ARROGANCE of running red and yellow lights!

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am

The city's Report a Problem website has a section for traffic violations. Let them know when and where you often see this happening.

https://www.cityofmadison.com/reportapr ... cement.cfm
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:59 am

leonids wrote:Is it too much to ask that my life is not worth the 3 minutes you might have to wait????

Well, as long as you asked: no, your life is not worth my three minute wait. If our paths cross on the roadway, the problem is always and only that you are there. Stay out of my way.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:26 am

Yellow
When you see a yellow light with or following the green light, you should stop before entering the intersection unless you're so close to it that a stop may not be made safely. A yellow light does NOT mean it's time to speed up and race through the intersection. That's how people get killed.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:02 am

oranger wrote: A yellow light does NOT mean it's time to speed up and race through the intersection. That's how people get killed.

Oh.

How many people get killed when a car goes through on a yellow? Not red, yellow.

I'm not advocating speeding through when the light turns yellow, just the assertion that it causes fatalities, since if the light is yellow, there should be no through traffic in the intersection yet.

Sometimes when it changes and it's clearly too late to stop safely, I will speed up a bit. I guess the point is to be out of the intersection before cross traffic gets a green.

This will be a more diffcult judgement call in a couple of months when we have slippery roads. I aged about a year in 5 seconds once while sliding all the way through the intersection of Mineral Point and Whitney, on the downhill slope of Mineral Point. I wasn't going very fast at all, several MPH below the speed limit, so it seemed like I had plenty of time to contemplate my fate.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:55 pm

I love to write red signal violations. LOVE IT.

Too bad almost no one does it in front of a marked squad car. I gotta get me one of those Wonder Woman type invisible cars.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I've been guilty of running lots of red lights. But recently I'm trying my best to cut it out as much as possible as the number of people doing on the road has exploded. I understand that everyone is in a hurry and sometimes it can be hard to stop when you are already at 35 mph on E. Washington. But when people blow through the light when it's red BEFORE THEY ARE EVEN AT THE INTERSECTION I have to shake my head. It makes me wish I could get deputized by the cops to hand out tickets! (Which is, in some ways, a horrible 1984ish thought). The way that I've cut down is by doing a couple of things: paying more attention to the lights up ahead and driving slower/accelerating slower/breaking slower. It seems to solve itself.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm

The epitome of arrogance is harboring the absolutely absurd notion that your life is worth three minutes of my time.

That being said, I don't run red lights; car repairs are expensive.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Walter wrote:I love to write red signal violations. LOVE IT.

Too bad almost no one does it in front of a marked squad car. I gotta get me one of those Wonder Woman type invisible cars.

Too bad you people don't have as much enthusiasm for solving real crimes.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Getting t-boned by someone running a red light is a real crime. Running a red is no different that shooting a gun up in the air. Odds are no one will get hurt but when they do, it's criminal neglect at the minimum.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Getting t-boned by someone running a red light is a real crime. Running a red is no different that shooting a gun up in the air. Odds are no one will get hurt but when they do, it's criminal neglect at the minimum.

So when someone gets hurt, it's a real crime. Until then, I'd rather see them solve the murder of a young girl - especially if 911 has the crime on tape.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Adolph Hitler.

This thread needs a good Godwinning.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Vinnie P wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Getting t-boned by someone running a red light is a real crime. Running a red is no different that shooting a gun up in the air. Odds are no one will get hurt but when they do, it's criminal neglect at the minimum.

So when someone gets hurt, it's a real crime. Until then, I'd rather see them solve the murder of a young girl - especially if 911 has the crime on tape.

When someone beats and stabs her to death in front of my marked squad, no problem. When the 911 call of the sounds of a struggle is pinpointed to a cell tower putting the location within several square blocks and the police are not sent to the actual homicide scene which was not within public view until later, things are more complicated.

But I will pass on your feelings to the detective who is assigned to work that case full time. He has nothing else to do but review thousands of pages of interviews and reports and follow up on new information that still comes in every week. Sir.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:01 pm

gargantua wrote:
Oh.

How many people get killed when a car goes through on a yellow? Not red, yellow.

The problem is when people accelerate through a yellow to beat a red. This kills about 900 people a year nationally and injures about 100,000.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Walter wrote:I love to write red signal violations. LOVE IT.

I wish we could get you one Walter! I can almost always tell there's a police officer nearby when I'm driving around here. People back off tailgating, I see people hitting their brakes to slow down, and suddenly every one starts using their turn signals. If it helps bring some civility to the road I'm all for more visible squad cars on the road.

I love Madison Metro cuz I don't have to drive the morning or evening commute. The evening commute isn't too bad but the morning? Really. Some of you morning drivers are just horribly obnoxious and reckless.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking