MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Random Questions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Random Questions

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am

In online ads such as craigslist, why do people sometimes list their phone number as a combo of numbers and words?

Example: 8six753oh9

Does anyone else hear those weird sounds in the sky 5 to 15 seconds after the big planes fly over? (on the eastside flight path) I don't know how to describe them other than swooshing sounds. It's not the afterburner sound from the direction of the airport.

Why are all mens shirts so fucking long these days? I'm average height (5'8") and I can either look like a dork with 15 inches of fabric tucked into my pants or I can look like I'm wearing a short dress.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Random Questions

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:20 am

People do that to phone numbers so a bot can't harvest their cell number and start making automated calls to them. It's one more layer of protection beyond the do not call list.

Of course next they'll reprogram the bot to recognize written-out numbers (if they haven't already).
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Why are all mens shirts so fucking long these days? I'm average height (5'8") and I can either look like a dork with 15 inches of fabric tucked into my pants or I can look like I'm wearing a short dress.

I would guess it's to cover mens' increasingly large bellies.

My random question: how do I put my vegetable garden to sleep for the winter?
seashells

Postby bleurose » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:35 pm

I would guess also that the length of shirt tails these days has to do with plumber's butt and how NOT to show that. As people age and gain weight (men AND women), the fat starts piling on to the midsection. Therefore, waistbands tend to ride lower and when one sits or bends over, there is a whole lot of butt real estate on view that no one really wants to see. Hence, the longer shirt tails in an effort to keep such sights from everyone else.

Speaking of this, has anyone else noticed the increasing number of overweight young women who seem to think that their plumber's butt is a thing of beauty to be admired by all? As a some time teacher who has occasion to be in laboratory settings, I find myself disgusted by the amount of female butt crack which shows when these fat young things sit down. Also not a fan of the sight of yard-long cleavage (or, as someone much wittier than I once put it, "looks like two pigs wrestling to get out and partially succeeding"). Does anyone really find this attractive??
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

This is a snippet from something that recently made the rounds on Facebook:
We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.
Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?! "

So, yes, being overweight is attractive, healthy, and now, a sign of overabundant wisdom and knowledge.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:54 pm

massimo wrote:This is a snippet from something that recently made the rounds on Facebook:
We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.
Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?! "

So, yes, being overweight is attractive, healthy, and now, a sign of overabundant wisdom and knowledge.

So that explains all the fat people...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:42 pm

bleurose wrote: Also not a fan of the sight of yard-long cleavage (or, as someone much wittier than I once put it, "looks like two pigs wrestling to get out and partially succeeding"). Does anyone really find this attractive??

You got a problem with pig wrasslin', hippie?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Just jealous cuz don't have enough to make a cleavage unless I wear one of those Victoria Secret's boob busters.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:11 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Does anyone else hear those weird sounds in the sky 5 to 15 seconds after the big planes fly over? (on the eastside flight path) I don't know how to describe them other than swooshing sounds. It's not the afterburner sound from the direction of the airport.

I am not an aviation expert at all, but I wonder if it is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_turbulence

narcoleptish wrote:Why are all mens shirts so fucking long these days? I'm average height (5'8") and I can either look like a dork with 15 inches of fabric tucked into my pants or I can look like I'm wearing a short dress.

I am 6' 7" plus, and I think those are awesome.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:15 pm

I am noticing that I am a bit heavier on the scale these days, but it is not fat that I am accumulating, I prefer to think of it as gravitas.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Igor wrote:I am 6' 7" plus

I'd say it's OK to round up to 6' 8".
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Marvell wrote:
bleurose wrote: Also not a fan of the sight of yard-long cleavage (or, as someone much wittier than I once put it, "looks like two pigs wrestling to get out and partially succeeding"). Does anyone really find this attractive??

You got a problem with pig wrasslin', hippie?

He got a real pretty mouth ain't he?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 pm

that was precisely intended by the designers...
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Igor wrote:I am 6' 7" plus

I'd say it's OK to round up to 6' 8".

I always thought I was 6'7" until I went to the doctor the other day and they said 6'7" and a half. At my age I anticipated losing height, not gaining it. So, it was a bit of a shocker. Maybe if my HS coach would have known about the extra half inch, I would have gotten off of the bench.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 pm

bleurose wrote:I would guess also that the length of shirt tails these days has to do with plumber's butt and how NOT to show that. As people age and gain weight (men AND women), the fat starts piling on to the midsection. Therefore, waistbands tend to ride lower and when one sits or bends over, there is a whole lot of butt real estate on view that no one really wants to see. Hence, the longer shirt tails in an effort to keep such sights from everyone else.

Speaking of this, has anyone else noticed the increasing number of overweight young women who seem to think that their plumber's butt is a thing of beauty to be admired by all? As a some time teacher who has occasion to be in laboratory settings, I find myself disgusted by the amount of female butt crack which shows when these fat young things sit down. Also not a fan of the sight of yard-long cleavage (or, as someone much wittier than I once put it, "looks like two pigs wrestling to get out and partially succeeding"). Does anyone really find this attractive??

no, but that is most assuredly better than the people whose arse looks like two 10 year olds fighting under a blanket...
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All