MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ohio exotic animal hunt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Ohio exotic animal hunt

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am

Hopefully this will press Ohio to tighten up the nation's loosest restrictions on keeping wild animals in little cages for human amusement.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 50821092/1

While it's easy to get upset at the killing of the animals, in the end I think they're better off. It's that or they get sent to some other animal prison to pace their life away. I'm not too crazy about zoos either but I really can't stand people who feel the need to own lots of animals, especially large and dangerous ones, whether or not they have the capability and the facilities to give them anywhere near a normal life. There are some decent operations out there that do rescue from more awful things like circuses, but there's lots of people like this guy who probably just think it's "cool" to own lions and tigers and bears.

I was in Gary Indiana once with someone who knew well known local douchebag tattoo artist Roy Boy Cooper, also a keeper of big cats. My friend wanted to see if they had any tigers around the tattoo shop. An employee directed us, unaccompanied, to an open warehouse across the street where we found, tucked away in the back corner of this dark garage, a cage containing one skinny tiger. I had to leave while my friend gawked for a couple minutes. That was 12+ years ago and it was just last year that they stepped in and took them away.
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... c167e.html
Thankfully his days of tiger ownership are over for good as his liver gave out awhile after that.

--check out the weird sub-story in the Ohio article, near the end, about another exotic animal keeper and how they found him dead.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ohio exotic animal hunt

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 pm

The latest news reports say the owner released all his animals just before shooting himself. Looks like a case of attempted murder, suicide.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines