MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:39 am

Uncle Fester wrote:Politicians don't create jobs.

Tell that to the defense industry.

Statements like this don't make you look like a moron. They prove you're a moron.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:07 am

And remember the late lamented train which would have created jobs. Certainly in that case politicians 'uncreated' a number of jobs
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:33 am

An economic forecast by Gov. Scott Walker's own administration predicts that Wisconsin will fall far short of adding the 250,000 new private-sector jobs by 2015 that the governor promised as a key part of his successful election campaign.

The Department of Revenue report released Friday predicts that by 2014, the state will have added only 136,000 jobs in the private sector compared with 2010. The job growth estimate was down 43,000 from the department's previous report released in June.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Any comments from Walker defenders?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Jobs for Wisconsin? As if Walker was concerned about any but those low wage jobs for his election campaign doner's seeking lower standard student diploma's so these same students have limited job potential and are trapped in low wage jobs they control. The train is gone with all that associated employment. Wind farm development--gone. Obama's job proposal? Johnson fought that tooth and nail to prevent construction jobs in Wisconsin.

Walker and his promise of jobs for Wisconsin citizens is a losing proposal. Anyone who defends Walker's policies at this point is out of touch with the needs of Wisconsin citizens and certainly not concerned with the future of Wisconsin youth. Yeah, that's right. Your children.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 am

The Department of Workforce Development, Walker's main agency for job creation, just lost another of his high ranking appointees.

A top administrator at the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development left her position this week, an agency spokesman confirmed Friday, marking the agency's third high-profile departure in less than a year.

Rozek is the department's second top official to leave this week. Secretary Scott Baumbach resigned Monday after being in the position just four months. His predecessor, Manny Perez, resigned in May after five months in the post.

The article states it is unclear as to whether she quit or was fired. It looks like that department is in complete disarray.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
An economic forecast by Gov. Scott Walker's own administration predicts that Wisconsin will fall far short of adding the 250,000 new private-sector jobs by 2015 that the governor promised as a key part of his successful election campaign.
...Any comments from Walker defenders?

At a Wisconsin Academy Evenings talk back in February, the speakers (an academic economist and a veteran business guy) both agreed that Wisconsin's economy is too tied to the national economy to make good judgments about the failure or success of a state jobs policy over a short time period. Walker was stupid to have made his jobs promise, and he certainly would be trying to take credit if jobs numbers were improving, but the fact of the matter is that job trends in Wisconsin are much more dependent on national economic conditions than they are on particular state policies. Over the long term (decades), a state may improve its job prospects somewhat by developing new industries, but even during this process the state will follow along the waves of job loss/gain set in motion by the broader economy.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm willing to agree with that to a degree, but Walker has taken specific steps to chase jobs away from Wisconsin. See the list in an earlier post: train jobs went to California, wind farm jobs went to other Midwestern states (in some cases leaving behind half-finished projects) and cities, towns, counties, and school districts have cut staff due to reduced state funding. Those jobs are gone, and they're gone specifically because of Walker's decisions.

So not only has he failed to create or bring in jobs (which could be attributed to larger economic forces), he's gotten rid of quite a few all by his own little self. In other words, regarding that campaign promise he's not only near zero, he's in the hole. His sincerity about jobs in general is highly suspect. I think it was little more than a slogan.

Add in the fact he's trying to kill off one of the best features Wisconsin has to offer prospective employers: a well-trained workforce. Without decent education at all levels, we've got no more to offer than Mississippi and West Virginia.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:...train jobs went to California, wind farm jobs went to other Midwestern states (in some cases leaving behind half-finished projects) and cities, towns, counties, and school districts have cut staff due to reduced state funding. Those jobs are gone, and they're gone specifically because of Walker's decisions.

And thank you Governor Walker! Jobs that break the back of the taxpayer (and future generations of taxpayers) are not a good solution.

I agree, it was a stupid promise.

The national economy is one factor. Another big one is the protests and recalls. Why would a business want to come to Wisconsin when all this progress might be rolled back?

They're better off heading for Texas.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Sno, I largely agree. Government can certainly prohibit job creators from doing business, thereby 'destroying' jobs. I am against the wind siting setback change and this has definitely caused wind developers to look elsewhere. The train issue is less clear to me - the train was to be largely paid for using tax dollars, not private investment, and this makes it hard to determine if it would be a net jobs creator or destroyer (since that tax revenue came from someone else first, who likely would have preferred to spend it on something else). On the wind energy front, state renewable portfolio requirements have a similar effect in that they forcibly divert resources from what the market would otherwise choose, but resolving that imbalance shouldn't be done by changing the turbine siting rules. Eliminating the RP requirement would mean less wind energy in WI overall, but the high-payback projects might still be built. The 1800ft turbine setback rule means that nothing gets built anywhere, regardless of the economics of the particular project.

More broadly, I often get confused about how to balance labor productivity and jobs. Ideally, wind energy (or any other energy source) would be supplied by companies who have to put minimal, perhaps even zero, labor into the product. That's kinda the whole point of building devices (turbines, boilers, engines) that utilize available primary energy - avoiding human labor. That wind energy requires a bunch of labor input per unit energy output, as compared to a natural gas turbine for example, should be seen as a strike against wind energy, not in favor. Only in the overall net balance does wind energy win out (low pollution, low cost at certain times, available local resource, renewable etc).

Do you think that public schools in WI or anywhere do a good job of training students for the workforce? I'm not so sure. It is even less clear that paying teachers more (or hiring more administrators) makes any improvement on that front either.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Do you think that public schools in WI or anywhere do a good job of training students for the workforce? I'm not so sure. It is even less clear that paying teachers more (or hiring more administrators) makes any improvement on that front either.

I really don't have a simple answer. I think the technical school system does a good job, having been through it. I'm not sure about 4-year colleges -- it might depend on the more-or-less adult student's employment goals and personal motivation. (Also, we can question whether the only goal of education is preparation for a particular job, as I imagine you yourself can agree.)

High schools on the other hand provide pretty much a minimal preparation for anything at all to kids who are not always mature enough to set life goals for themselves. (Lord knows I wasn't -- who was?) I don't know if it's the schools' fault, really. They have a nearly impossible task with the great diversity of students all having different (or no) goals, different (or no) families to back them up and guide them, and numerous social and personal problems with no other solutions being dumped in their hallways -- problems that spill over and infect kids' friends and associates if not contained and managed.

I'm not sure paying teachers more will help, but paying them less will definitely NOT help. You get what you pay for, and quality work from quality teachers isn't exempt from that law.

I'm not sure about the administrators, either. A big organization needs SOME administration and staff -- anarchy does not scale well. But I don't work in the school system and I'm not qualified to say what is padding and what is genuinely meeting organizational needs. I think you need to find the point at which things begin to fall apart and stay above it, to start with.

I think setting stupid standards like the No Child Left Behind law is actually counterproductive, wasting more time gaming the law than producing anything positive. What works (sorta, sometimes) in a corporate environment doesn't map very well to what's basically a social-services environment (teaching immature kids, who are not widgets).

I do think public education, like health care, is one of the basics of a post-industrial society and needs to be accomplished in a society-wide, collective manner (or else your society will devolve from post-industrial to third-world in a hurry). Nobody's exempt from either the problems or benefits of health care or general education, nobody's an isolate. Even those who home-school their kids (which can succeed spectacularly if done knowledgeably and with care) benefit from the overall effects of a well-educated society same as we all benefit from clean air or water.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm

Wisconsin Lost 9,700 Jobs Last Month

I guess we didn't throw enough public servants into Mt. Doom to appease the magical job creators. Maybe if we eliminated the police department and sold the capitol building to a chemical company we'd start to see some results.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:48 pm

good thing we didn't get those goddamm trains. it would have been a shame to see all those jobs created.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:08 pm

minicat wrote:good thing we didn't get those goddamm trains. it would have been a shame to see all those jobs created.

Don't be ridiculous. Those train operational costs were needed to pay for voter ID and concealed-carry administrative costs.

You know, programs that will really help today's struggling families get ahead.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:54 pm

When Walker was asked about the recall effort against him, he said all his efforts are going into job creation. He has been saying that since the beginning of his administration.

How does he reconcile his efforts with these cold, hard facts?

Wisconsinites looking for work received tough news on Friday as state officials released data that showed the state had the highest one-month drop in jobs in the country.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government